2010 GT500 brake upgrade questions

samg

Established Member
Am beginning to upgrade my 2010 GT500 and will start with the brakes. I think you sell what I am looking for but have some confusion that could use your insight to clarify.

My plan is to keep the OEM calipers for now and upgrade the front and rear rotors along with new pads. All with Stillen options. My questions are:

1) You offer both types of rotors: cross-drilled only and cross-drilled with slots. What are the differences? I would think the ones with the slots and holes would be better???

2) You offer both slotted pillar vane “black hat” (more expensive) and another version called "sport":
2.1) What are the differences?
2.2) The black hats are lighter, does that mean they are less durable for long term street use?
2.3) Do both rotor options (black hat vs sport) operate well with the factory calipers? The less expensive rotor write up states it is the best option for stock calipers and the more expensive option does not mention OEM calipers.
2.4) All of these rotor and pad options are under your website’s 2010 GT500 section, but the individual rotor and pad write-ups say they are only good up to the 2009 GT500, not the 2010. Are they all good for the 2010?
2.5) Are any/all of these rotor and pad combinations compatible with the existing/OEM ABS as well as the 2010s new multi-level electronic stability control system? Are they all just bolt on swaps and go?
2.6) Cannot tell from your website, is the price shown for the rotors give you a pair like shown in the picture or just one rotor?
2.7) From the pictures there seems to be in most cases a color mismatch between the front rotor options (silver) and the rear options (golden). Is that correct or do they match in color and what color?

3) Do the Stillen metal-matrix pads squeal and rattle or are they as quiet as the OEM pads? Is their cold operation as good as the OEM pads?

4) Will the FRPP brake cooling kit work with the Stillen rotors and pads?

Thank you in advance.

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Am beginning to upgrade my 2010 GT500 and will start with the brakes. I think you sell what I am looking for but have some confusion that could use your insight to clarify.

My plan is to keep the OEM calipers for now and upgrade the front and rear rotors along with new pads. All with Stillen options. My questions are:

1) You offer both types of rotors: cross-drilled only and cross-drilled with slots. What are the differences? I would think the ones with the slots and holes would be better???
The difference is one set is drilled only, the other set is drilled and slotted. It just depends on the look you are going for, either set is very high quality and do what ever you want them to do.

2) You offer both slotted pillar vane “black hat” (more expensive) and another version called "sport"
2.1) What are the differences?
2.2) The black hats are lighter, does that mean they are less durable for long term street use?
The black hat rotors are 2 piece rotors, they are lighter as the hat is made from billet aluminum. The sport rotors are 1 piece to more cost efficient, but are a bit heavier, yet, still just a tad lighter than stock.

2.3) Do both rotor options (black hat vs sport) operate well with the factory calipers? The less expensive rotor write up states it is the best option for stock calipers and the more expensive option does not mention OEM calipers.
2.4) All of these rotor and pad options are under your website’s 2010 GT500 section, but the individual rotor and pad write-ups say they are only good up to the 2009 GT500, not the 2010. Are they all good for the 2010?
We have had customers use both types of rotors with stock caliper setups with no issues. All the write ups were done before the 2010's were even a thought, so thats why there is no listing of the 2010's in any of the write ups yet, but all the brake parts will work.

2.5) Are any/all of these rotor and pad combinations compatible with the existing/OEM ABS as well as the 2010s new multi-level electronic stability control system? Are they all just bolt on swaps and go?
They are direct replacement and dont effect the ABS system in any way.

2.6) Cannot tell from your website, is the price shown for the rotors give you a pair like shown in the picture or just one rotor?
2.7) From the pictures there seems to be in most cases a color mismatch between the front rotor options (silver) and the rear options (golden). Is that correct or do they match in color and what color?
The price is for a pair, and rotors all come matched in color.

3) Do the Stillen metal-matrix pads squeal and rattle or are they as quiet as the OEM pads? Is their cold operation as good as the OEM pads?
Unfortunately, I have not used any of the Stillen pads, but I have had customers use them and we have got really good feedback on all their brake products.

4) Will the FRPP brake cooling kit work with the Stillen rotors and pads?
Yes it will.

Thank you in advance.
Thank you for the inquiry :beer:

samg

Established Member
The difference is one set is drilled only, the other set is drilled and slotted. It just depends on the look you are going for, either set is very high quality and do what ever you want them to do.

The black hat rotors are 2 piece rotors, they are lighter as the hat is made from billet aluminum. The sport rotors are 1 piece to more cost efficient, but are a bit heavier, yet, still just a tad lighter than stock.

We have had customers use both types of rotors with stock caliper setups with no issues. All the write ups were done before the 2010's were even a thought, so thats why there is no listing of the 2010's in any of the write ups yet, but all the brake parts will work.

They are direct replacement and dont effect the ABS system in any way.

The price is for a pair, and rotors all come matched in color.

Unfortunately, I have not used any of the Stillen pads, but I have had customers use them and we have got really good feedback on all their brake products.

Yes it will.

Thank you for the inquiry :beer:

Thanks very much for the response. You guys get my business when I order. Your company has been very responsive compared to others with answering questions.

Users who are viewing this thread