2010 GT500 low rpm issues

outlaw07

Established Member
I'm new to the modular mustang world. Not a total newb, but green. I just bought a 2010 GT500 tonight. It has a whipple, ID1050x injectors, BAP, longtubes, CAI etc. The tuning was done at TMS performance in kent. I'm trying to get more info on it but it may take time. It runs WOT and above 2k great. It idles smooth. But when you try to take off normally at a stop light it just can't get going for about 50-60 ft. It just chugs and lugs. The only way to stop it is to pop the clutch and rev it higher. When it finally takes off it goes like a bat out of hell. Could this just be aggressive tuning or is there something else going on? It just got new plugs at the dealer this morning and did it before the plugs too. Any help is appreciated

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
You might go into a little more detail on exact parts, including throttle body, if you know. Also what rear gears and tire diameter are you running? Do you know if the clutch is stock or aftermarket. Some aftermarket clutches make the car harder launch and you just have to develop a technique to get the car going. Is it possible the engine has cams?

Sounds like a tuning issue, as any combination of aftermarket parts can be tuned for decent drivability, but can be a challenge to some tuners. Perhaps you can approach the tuner and ask questions on low rpm operation and see what they tell you. If they tell you that's the best you can expect, work with VMP or Lund on a new tune.

outlaw07

Established Member
It sounds like stock cams. I'm not sure what TB. Stock size tires and wheels. I assume stock gearing. Clutch is not the issue. The clutch is smooth and forgiving. Its all about the rpm range. If I'm between idle and 1800/2000 it is not happy. Its hard to explain. I went to cross a highway and it just wouldn't take off. It just chugged and lugged (stupid but best description I have lol) until it creeped up to about 2000 rpm then it just goes. Its not really an issue. Just need to learn it I suppose. I just want to be sure its not going to hurt anything. It makes me nervous because there's no AFR gauge. It has an aftermarket wideband but no gauge which is on my list to get

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
From what you're describing, I think it's tune related or you have a big vacuum leak somewhere which can distort the MAF sensor interpretation of air flow. I'd check the PCV lines, and the couplings on the CAI. You're going to need to catalog what parts are on it before you start working with another tuner. If you don't know, post pics. Someone on here should be able to identify what you have.

fullboogie

Established Member
I'd pull a plug and see what's in there and what the gap is. No telling what the dealer installed.

outlaw07

Established Member
It was doing the same thing so they changed the plugs and it still does it. I'll ask them tomorrow. They're pretty knowledgeable on these cars.

outlaw07

Established Member
I'm driving it to work today so I'll pull it in the shop and check for vacuum leaks but I really don't believe that's the issue. It idles perfect and you can't hear any vacuum leaks which I have a pretty good ear for those. Its not a monoblade. I'll get an exact list of the mods in a while. I have a full snap on diagnostics system so I will see if I can datalog what's going on. After driving it more I'm learning the habits. It doesn't do it all the time. When it does I can back off the throttle and it will run fine. Ease on the throttle and it does it again.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
Mine did a similar thing to what you describe two days ago for about 5 minutes, misfire at slight throttle, but it hasn't done it since.. but Felt like 1 cylinder misfiring. I would see if you can pull any misfire faults, swap the ignition coil from that cylinder to another and see if the misfire follows.

outlaw07

Established Member
so far what I found is: whipple 2.9, ID1050x inectors, what I believe is the stock maf sensor in a CAI tube (4g7v-12b79-aa) , kenne bell BAP, long tube kooks, high flow cats, H-pipe etc. wideband 02 (found where someone welded in an extra bung and theres an O2 sensor in it. harness runs up and over the bell housing. not sure what it does from there. I datalogged it but can't pinpoint exactly when it was acting up. If I knew how to send the data I could send it to someone to look at that can analyze it better. I couldn't find any issues with the boots/clamps. I did readjust the boot going into the TB because it was on there crooked. it appears to be a stock TB. Has a ford logo and isn't polished or billet. I can see the number 19 stamped into the butterflies if that helps. the check engine light came on this morning when I puled up to work. P2198 (o2 sensor stuck rich, bank 2 sensor 1). I cleared the code and it hasn't come back. the sensors were reading and adjusting while I was datalogging too.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
That's a ford part no. on the CAI ,but I can't get a hit on it. Post a pic. Beside the Whipple and exhaust, there's not much to make this difficult to tune with a stock TB and probably the CAI. I'd monitor it to see if that code pops up again. Coulld be a bad O2 sensor, or there is some reason your car is going real rich.

Why someone would put 100 lb. injectors and a BAP with a stock throttle body and CAI doesn't make a lot of sense. I'm wondering if parts like the throttle body and CAI were removed prior to the sale and your still stuck with the old tune. I think I'd visit TMS and ask them what they know about the car. Either that or start working with someone else to tune it so you know what you have. Did the car come with a flash tool?

outlaw07

Established Member
I'll give them a call right now. No flash tool. No aftermarket gauges. My salesman told me he would try to get more info from him when he comes back to work. he has today off. according to TMS performance's facebook page, they tuned it with syked ECU tuning software. Ill report back in a few after I talk to them

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I think that's a product for Mopars. Might cut your losses and hook up with one of the GT500 gurus, like VMP Performance or Lund.

outlaw07

Established Member
Do they make custom tunes without being on a dyno? I'm not familiar with tuning on newer boosted gas engines. I am very familiar with diesel programmers though (SCT x4, livewire, edge etc)

sleek98

Established Member
Yes you can do an email tune via the X4.

Only problem is the 2010 doesnt have a wideband so your not going to be able to data log it without adding one or going to a dyno.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
To get a mail order tune, you're going to need to tell them what is installed on the car. The CAI might be stock, won't know until we see it. You may have to figure out what size pulley is on the whipple and what size blower so you can give them an idea of how much boost you could be making.

If you have a bung for a wideband bung in the exhaust pipe, you should be able to log your a/f ratio. Livelink can except an external wideband O2 sensor for logging. You might try to figure out where that O2 sensor's wires terminate. The previous owner may have had it plugged into a gauge that was mounted in the car. A likely place to run the wires is the grommet behind the supercharger on the driver's side.

outlaw07

Established Member
I'm waiting for a call back from the dyno shop. I had a hard time following the wires from up top. Ill drive it over the pit in a few and see if I can find where the plug is. the CAI is a PMAS. but it looks like the MAF is stock. pulley is a 3.250. whipple is a 2.9

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Pic of engine bay.

A mail order tune for this combo is pretty basic.. anyone should be able to get you set up.

Send pic so we can somewhat confirm what we are working on.

outlaw07

Established Member
They called back. It has a wideband wired into the ECU. They said the previous owner left the stock TB and they recommended he upgrade to a VMP 67mm but he didn't want to spend the money. They said because of the stock TB, it has drivability problems and they can be solved with a TB and tune.

Users who are viewing this thread