2010 Mustang Shimmy-Possibly Steering Rack?

Converse1648

Established Member
Been browsing the forum for a while now trying to figure out a steering shimmy(left to right) between 65-80 i've had since i bought the car. I see its a common problem but I just feel there has to be some kind of fix for it, and determined to find it. I've replaced nearly everything in the front end aside from the Steering Rack.

Things I've replaced in hopes of fixing are as follows:
H&R SS Springs
Eibach Pro-Damper Shocks/Struts
Eibach Camber Bolts
GT500 Strut Mounts
Adjustable Sway Bar Endlinks
Poly Motor Mounts
Rear Panhard Bar
Brake Pads/Rotors
Was told 3 wheels were bent, so I upgrade to SVE Drifts and new Bridgestone Potenza's all around and had them Hunter Road Force Balanced/Check twice.
Wheel Alignment-No Change to Shimmy:bored:

So I decide to do the following:
Energy Suspension LCA bushings
Timken Hubs/bearings
MOOG Ball Joints
MOOG Tie Rods Inner/Outer

In order to change the LCA's I needed to move the steering rack back a few inches, upon completion the steering wheel was off center in a 10 to 4 position.
Went for a test drive and the shimmy was about 90% gone :-D :rockon:
Go for an alignment a few days later, steering wheel now straight and shimmy is back. :fm:

Does anyone think there could be an internal flaw in the Steering Rack that causes this nearly incurable shimmy, or any other suggestions? Thanks and I apologize for the essay.

Yellazxr

Established Member
I have an 09 GT and I have got a decent jiggle back and forth in the wheel at interstate speeds like you described. I haven't been able to figure it out, it's so bad sometimes that the back of my hands will start getting numb.

I've learned to just live with it :(

Converse1648

Established Member
I have an 09 GT and I have got a decent jiggle back and forth in the wheel at interstate speeds like you described. I haven't been able to figure it out, it's so bad sometimes that the back of my hands will start getting numb.

I've learned to just live with it :(

Yeah i suppose its just something I'll have to live with at this point :rolleyes: just sucks that a 4 year old car has problems like this..my 94' civic was smoother at highway speeds :bored:

Users who are viewing this thread