2011 5.0 vs 97 Tason TSi (with a twist!)

Ivan 5.0

Established Member
Buddy of mine w/ a talon went cruising the other night. It was late and no traffic so we did two quick ~60 - 110ish pulls.

My 5OH (M6 w/ 3.55) has a boss intake, C&L cai, DSS driveshaft, SW full exhaust, and AED Tune.

His talon has aftermarket: intake, turbo, turbo manifold, full exhaust, fully built (valvetrain, port, polish, etc) head w/ cams, cluth/flywheel, fuel system (injectors, fuel pump, etc), standalone ems, race gas (Q16), and some weight reduction. His tune was super hot, something like low 12's AFR, 22 degrees timing, and 28 pounds of boost.

I let him brake boost and we honked off at 3. He beat me both times by 1/2 - 1 car when I let off. :beer: At the end of the 2nd run I saw a puff of black smoke followed by some white smoke. I let him know, "dude - car shot out white smoke at the end of the 2nd run - is that normal? Might wanna check it out." He goes, "na, it's cool, that just the race gas."

We take the next exit and pull up to the light. I cruise off normally and he WOTs it in 1st. No lift shift into second, and BAM!!! White smoke everywhere, fluid on the ground, pieces of engine block scattered on the street. Shitty way to end a fun night. He's gonna do a tear down soon and see if there is any damage to the head or turbo :nonono:

Last edited:

Hoon

Established Member
22* is a shitload of timing for a 4G63.

With 28psi in mine i never ran more than about 12* on 93, maybe another 4* on race gas. I had higher than stock compression, but not a whole lot higher.

Not surprised it popped.

What turbo was on it? If you say 16G or something silly than :lol1: at the DSM.

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Evo 16g are no joke. But at 28psi and that tune its no wonder why even on race gas it popped.

My buddy did the same with his tsi awd on e85 and an evo16g. Had it tuned lean on dsmlink and had his wb02 gauge disconnected and it was a super cold night and he was just raping his car back to back pulls till finally a rod snapped and speared through the oil pan and punctured a hole in the transfer case locking it up.

The 4g63 is stout in stock form but still prone to failures if pushed too hard. Id imagine your buddy was flowing roughly 40-45lbs/min which equates to 400-450awhp give or take 10-20.

Users who are viewing this thread