2011 5.0 wheels onto my 1997 Cobra: HELP

fake

Established Member
Did a dumbass thing according to my wife. When I traded in my 2011 5.0 on my new 2013 Tacoma 3 weeks ago; I took everything off and put it back to stock. Well, last Saturday I found a 1997 Cobra in great shape.

I kept my AMR 18x9 & 18x10 wheels from my 11 and planned on selling them. They only had 1000 miles on them. The wheels that came on the Cobra were a generic black chrome Cobra R wheels. Only problem, the black chrome was peeling and the finish was turning black. The tires still had some meat on them, but were not in the best of condition. I sold the Cobra R wheels for $450.00 and put the AMR's on.

I know, I know the offset and back spacing will be different. IMO, the front wheels fit PERFECT now. I only get slight rub on the plastic wheel well if my wheel is turned sharply and I'm going up a stepe drive way.

Rear wheels is a different story now. With the old Cobra R wheels, they were almost flush with the fender. The AMR's now have that tucked in look. YUCK!

The tire shop put on the largest wheel spacer they had but it's still tucked. Should I go with a 1" spacer or the 1.5? Is is ok to run spacers without any long term problems?

The rear AMR's specs:
Back Spacing: 7.4" (187mm)
Offset: +48 (1.9")

IMG_0024_zpsbbcb2193.jpg

IMG_0026_zpsec42112e.jpg

IMG_0032_zpsfd0e3338.jpg

IMG_0031_zpsdb260a6d.gif

IMG_0028_zps840fb86a.jpg

The spacer on it now:
IMG_0030-2_zps60cb6f57.gif

What it use to look like:
CAM00029_zps54546a8a.jpg

Last edited:

Dan.J

Established Member
The fronts look good, If it was mine I would try and sell the rears and get the right offset and a bigger tire. I am not a fan of spacers and from the looks of it you need a pretty big one. Is there allready a spacer on the rear in your pics?

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
Get the bigger spacer that bolts on and you bolt the wheel to the spacer. I did that on my mystic and it looked much better... If you want I'll go out to e garage and look what part number I got from summit...

20130102_171534.jpg

20130102_171520.jpg

Last edited:

00_silvergt

Established Member
Could use 99-04 axles? If im not mistaken they are a bit longer. I wouldnt feel comfortable using a big spacer. but thats just me

fake

Established Member
What about the Eibach pro spacer which is hubcentric. They are 35mm, 1.37" thick. Would that put me close to being flush with the fender.

I don't drag race, so I won't be putting excessive force to the rears.

Only other option is buying two new AMR rears for 94-98 body style. Only problem, is the wheels are 18x9, not 18x10 like my current rears. Will my 275 work on a 18x9 wheel?

Last edited:

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
I ran the eibach pro spacers on the one i showed in pics and didn't drag race, just drove it normal

Dan.J

Established Member
What about the Eibach pro spacer which is hubcentric. They are 35mm, 1.37" thick. Would that put me close to being flush with the fender.

I don't drag race, so I won't be putting excessive force to the rears.

Only other option is buying two new AMR rears for 94-98 body style. Only problem, is the wheels are 18x9, not 18x10 like my current rears. Will my 275 work on a 18x9 wheel?
Your tire will work fine on a 9in. wheel.

98fourvalve

Established Member
Even if you buy a 18x9 wheel for a 94-98 car the wheel will still be tucked. Throw on some bigger hubcentric wheel spacers and call it a day. As long as you get a quality set and torque them properly you have nothing to worry about.

fake

Established Member
Even if you buy a 18x9 wheel for a 94-98 car the wheel will still be tucked. Throw on some bigger hubcentric wheel spacers and call it a day. As long as you get a quality set and torque them properly you have nothing to worry about.

Thank you,

I know it's tough by looking at the pictures, but will the Eibach 35mm be the right size?

98fourvalve

Established Member
The 35mm will definitely get it closer, hard to be 100% sure if they will be the perfect flush fit. But, I'd probably find a set of 38mm aka 1.5 inch ones to get the little extra space out of it. I say that because you already have a small spacer on it.

What size spacer is on it now? What I would do to give you an idea is take the spacer off one side and mock it up on the other side just for a quick look to see what it looks like with a thicker spacer. DO NOT run it like that, but I'm sure that goes with out saying.

fake

Established Member
The 35mm will definitely get it closer, hard to be 100% sure if they will be the perfect flush fit. But, I'd probably find a set of 38mm aka 1.5 inch ones to get the little extra space out of it. I say that because you already have a small spacer on it.

What size spacer is on it now? What I would do to give you an idea is take the spacer off one side and mock it up on the other side just for a quick look to see what it looks like with a thicker spacer. DO NOT run it like that, but I'm sure that goes with out saying.

The spacers on there right now is just over 1/4". With those on there, I'm about an inch from the top of the fender. The 35mm will be 1.37". My rear suspension does not sit as low as the front, but I still don't want to worry about scrapping. I get the slightest rub if my front wheels are turned hard and I'm going up an incline (driveway). If I go slow, of course I do not have this problem.

Jeez, I feel like a Mustang newb with all these questions. This is my 6th Stang; but I've never had suspension, wheels, and spacers all tied into one question. lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread