2011 Electric Steering Scare

DHFB

Established Member
I was driving my car yesterday on a spirited effort to clear a P0315 code when I turned a sharp corner and heard what I would describe as a power steering pump failure. It made this noise for about a minute or two and my steering wheel felt like a force feedback wheel on a Xbox 360; the further I turned the wheel the worse the feeling and the sound got. Well, in the spirit of learning, and the hope of replication, I turned the same corner again, but harder, and sure as heck it happened again except this time I could not steer the car at all for a few seconds..... Scary!!! I took it to the dealer and they said after some research that "this is a known issue on 2011 Mustangs built before X date 2010". They informed me that my Rack needed to be flashed and all would be good with the world. What I understand happened is that the electric motors that control assist fell out of calibration essentially fighting each other over left or right assist. I will add that my steering has always felt quirky since the day I got the car but after they flashed it I feel like I am driving a much better car. If you have a 2011 GT 500, and have experienced something similar to this, I would reccomend you get to the dealer and have your rack flashed.

Last edited:

Fenixfire

Slower than ever
Established Member
I was driving my car yesterday on a spirited effort to clear a P0315 code when I turned a sharp corner and heard what I would describe as a power steering pump failure. It made this noise for about a minute or two and my steering wheel felt like a force feedback wheel on a Xbox 360; the further I turned the wheel the worse the feeling and the sound got. Well, in the spirit of learning, and the hope of replication, I turned the same corner again, but harder, and sure as heck it happened again except this time I could not steer the car at all for a few seconds..... Scary!!! I took it to the dealer and they said after some research that "this is a known issue on 2011 Mustangs built before X date 2010". They informed me that my Rack needed to be flashed and all would be good with the world. What I understand happened is that the electric motors that control assist fell out of calibration essentially fighting each other over left or right assist. I will add that my steering has always felt quirky since the day I got the car but after they flashed it I feel like I am driving a much better car. If you have a 2011 GT 500, and have experienced something similar to this, I would reccomend you get to the dealer and have your rack flashed.

I lol'ed

Klyrow

Established Member
Ummm, do you not think that a 100 mph ride through a field, and subsequent over $20k in damage your car suffered at the hands of the former owner, had anything to do with your steering problems, as well as the rest of the problems the car has had, and you continue to have?

Warning to anyone who buys this car in the future - Carfax shows a clean bill of health, and the dealer failed to report the MASSIVE amount of damage it incurred (= illegal). Now the current owner can easily say he hasn't a clue to the next owner, or dealer where he may trade it in, even though he does.

Last edited:

DHFB

Established Member
Ummm, do you not think that a 100 mph ride through a field, and subsequent over $20k in damage your car suffered at the hands of the former owner, had anything to do with your steering problems, as well as the rest of the problems the car has had, and you continue to have?

Warning to anyone who buys this car in the future - Carfax shows a clean bill of health, and the dealer failed to report the MASSIVE amount of damage it incurred (= illegal). Now the current owner can easily say he hasn't a clue to the next owner, or dealer where he may trade it in, even though he does.

Dude, you know half the story. Don't think for a second I would not tell the next owner what happened to this car. The dealership were a bunch of crooks but the damage to this car was 100% cosmetic. It had the equivilent of a bunch of scratches on it as well and I have copies of 100% of the work performed on the car. I went into this car eyes wide open and saved close to, as near as I can figure, $30k... so take it easy hot foot.

DHFB

Established Member
p0315 = crankshaft relearn needs to be done. You purty much gotta come to the dealer for that - it won't just go away.

Actually, it will! And it is P0315 = Crankshaft Position System Variation Not Learned

Last edited:

Klyrow

Established Member
Looks like the dealer is selling you the same BS story. You did talk to previous owner/owners? It's had a LOT more damage than that dealer is leading you on to believe. Cosmetic my arse! Yeah, maybe that's all they worked on! Sorry Charlie.

DHFB

Established Member
Looks like the dealer is selling you the same BS story. You did talk to previous owner/owners? It's had a LOT more damage than that dealer is leading you on to believe. Cosmetic my arse! Yeah, maybe that's all they worked on! Sorry Charlie.

You have a bone to pick son?

DHFB

Established Member
The code came from re-tuning the car. I spent the day with Ryan, the previous owner, and made sure I knew everything that happened to the car. The insurance estimate, since you know everything, covered replacing all the wheels and tires at a cost of $12,000 which was far from neccesary. The actual repairs to the car where on the front bumper and rear bumper along with getting the radiator and Heat exchanger replaced along with buffing out a ton of scratches and replacing the stripes. This car had no structural damage at all and had about 20K in parts on it. All this being said I thought it was a good deal since the car was basically $80K in value for what price I paid.

mullens

Established Member
Hope everything works out with the car and the problems have ended. I do have a problem with your logic though. If I buy a $50,000 car that had $50,000 in repairs it's hardly a $100,000 car. Good post though, very good caution for the electric steering guys.

BTW my GF just flashed her rack last night. :)

DHFB

Established Member
Hope everything works out with the car and the problems have ended. I do have a problem with your logic though. If I buy a $50,000 car that had $50,000 in repairs it's hardly a $100,000 car. Good post though, very good caution for the electric steering guys.

BTW my GF just flashed her rack last night. :)

I bought the car in the 30's!!!! Original Price of car $52+ parts $21K (Parts are go fast goodies that got the car to ~730 RWHP) = $73K + labor... this does not include the repairs of $8500 for the body work; and no I don't count the repairs into the value and to that end I actually subtracted that from the value. I paid roughly $10k less than I should of for this car when all is said and done considering the history.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
a lot of ppl are buy these cars with decent miles and not crash history in the mid to low 30's

DHFB

Established Member
a lot of ppl are buy these cars with decent miles and not crash history in the mid to low 30's

This car is a 2011 with 1600 miles.. and I paid $35K... I looked for 4 months and sure as sh!t never saw a deal close to this.... I was trying to buy a 2009 with 5k on it, stock, for $38k. Dealer caved to the price because I caught them red handed... or hand in the cookie jar so to speak, thanks to some help from family and people who knew what happend to it. They had already left two bodies over this car and got what they deserved! They were going to auction the car for $45k and since it had a clean carfax they would have got it and one of you would have paid $48k-$50k I guarantee. fair price with all the modifications was $35k if you knew the history.... I went through this car inside and out underneath and in and I would hazard to say it is perfect. It was easily worth $45k but since the dealer was lying about the car karma came back to them.

My termi was crashed when I traded it in to a dealer and there was also no Carfax because the value of the damage did not meet the percentage required to report it. You blame me for this too; it is the insurance companies that are responsible for this not the owners??? I side swiped a car when I lost traction and it took out the radiator, a fender, my heat exchanger, the front bumber, headlight, fog light and bent the frame and cost $8900 to fix... The car was worth $30k when I did it so no carfax.... I also did not throw the baby out with the bath water... I had it fixed and continued to drive it. I did not have the heart to sell it to a individual because of all the problems I had with the car plus the accident but I guarantee one of you calls that car your baby now! Any dude who bought a 2004 white termi convertible with 28k on it and many mods... my condolences... hey being an asshole to people I don't know is kinda fun... thanks Tob and Klyrow you given me new meaning!

Last edited:

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
didnt realize it was an 11 selective reading i guess. That is a good deal. My buddy just got a 08 w/ 4k a tvs alcoas and other various mods for under 35

sikryd

Established Member
My 2011 felt funky as well, mostly on all of the uneven shitty roads in Honolulu. I took it to the dealer, they flashed it, felt good for a month or so and is now back to how it felt before the trip to the dealer. Hope yours feels better for longer than mine did, I hate the dealer here (incompetent idiots) so I will be living with the twitchy steering.

Users who are viewing this thread