2011 GT 500 with 700+RWHP Tire Selection Help

DHFB

Established Member
I have a 2011 Shelby GT 500 that makes 710+RWHP and 670 FT/LBS of torque. The stock tires at this power level are a absolute joke, however, I want to keep the stock wheels; they look awesome with my color combo. I intend to daily drive this car so I don't need anything track worthy but this car makes so much power that if it doesn't have some hook along with some wet performance I could get into trouble with it real quick. My Stock wheels are 19X9.5 with 265/40/19 front and 285/35/19 rear and I am looking for the most sticky tire with wet performance... So guys, what are your thoughts???

Additional:
I should have added that I have weather cars. I do not intend to drive this car in the rain or what would be considered inclimate weather and have a 4X4 Suburban for that. I was mostly concerned about early morning stints when it is still moist and dewey... if dewey is a word???? The other scenerio is getting caught in the rain and making it home in one piece. So let me re-define daily driver; I intend to drive it a couple times a week to work and stuff when the roads are good! So I am mainly focused on dry performance with slight duty for wet traction.

Last edited:

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
If you want the wet performance you will not find a good enough tire. 305/35/18 MT have trouble in first and second, that is one of the better dry performance tires. With 19's Im not sure what your options are gonna be for a wet and dry at your level.

sixties

60s Muscle
I have a 2010 GT500 with 725 rwhp.
I'm fortunate in that I don't drive it daily. So I have 15"x10.25" Weld wheels on the rear with MT 325/50R15s on them. These tires are not usable in 1st or 2nd on the street; the streets are just too dusty. They perform fairly well at the drag strip with 14 lbs of pressure.

However, with this amount of HP you'll never really hoop up unless you use slicks.

You might consider buying a second set of rear wheels and tires and use them on nice weekend days.

I must add that this amount of HP on the street is very dangerous when fully unleashed.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
Your are limited by the 19" rear size. You could get the stock rims widened and run the 345 NTO5Rs, but I bet they are not safe in the rain.
Another option would be to pick up a pair of 'vert gt500 wheels (they are 18x9.5 and the same style) and then have them widened a couple of inches. Then you could run the 315 or 335 Toyo R888 and have very good traction. That might come at a cost of longevity if you daily drive though, and they are not the cheapest of tires. That is what I will most likely do after I get a bigger blower.

runwhatchabrung

Established Member
I have a 2011 Shelby GT 500 that makes 710+RWHP and 670 FT/LBS of torque. The stock tires at this power level are a absolute joke, however, I want to keep the stock wheels; they look awesome with my color combo. I intend to daily drive this car so I don't need anything track worthy but this car makes so much power that if it doesn't have some hook along with some wet performance I could get into trouble with it real quick. My Stock wheels are 19X9.5 with 265/40/19 front and 285/35/19 rear and I am looking for the most sticky tire with wet performance... So guys, what are your thoughts???

there is nothing for you. daily drive something else

DHFB

Established Member
I should have added that I have weather cars. I do not intend to drive this car in the rain or what would be considered inclimate weather and have a 4X4 Suburban for that. I was mostly concerned about early morning stints when it is still moist and dewey... if dewey is a word???? The other scenerio is getting caught in the rain and making it home in one piece. So let me re-define daily driver; I intend to drive it a couple times a week to work and stuff when the roads are good! So I am mainly focused on dry performance with slight duty for wet traction.

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
I've ran MT ET's in the rain a few times with no problems at all, but Im not stupid when its wet. If you baby your car in the rain you should be able to run almost any DOT tire. so I would go with the best dry tire you can find, whatever the 19's guys love

Users who are viewing this thread