2011 GT500 Best Tire Choice

mschaub

Hello everyone,

I know there have been a lot of threads scattered around here about this, but a lot of the ones I looked at seemed a little bit old. I have a 2011 GT500 that needs some tires again. I was thinking of switching brands. Still trying to find something that will stick. I hear a lot of good things about the Michelin PSS. While searching around I also heard some talk of the Continental ExtremeContact DW's. However the Continental's only have a 275/35R20 not a 285/35R20. Has anyone ever used these and how did they do?

I already have traction issues, just like everyone else, so I am not sure I want to go down in width. It probably isn't going to effect it that much though.

What about other choices? Mickey Thompson, Nitto's, etc...

All opinions are welcome, Thanks.

gnats

Find One Recall Daily
Established Member
I have Michelin pilot super sports on my 2012 gt500. When cold, they still spin a lot. But when warmed up, they're infinitely better than the stock tires. I can't tell you about any others, but I highly recommend the michelins if you're car is still stock like mine.

sflrainmaker01

Established Member
Along with tire brand, how much bigger tire can the rear handle without rubbing and fitting on the stock rim? 295? 305? The answer to that might open some more traction solving tire options.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
toyo R888, lower control arm relocation brackets and enjoy. First will still spin of course but i don't see many spinning second with this combo. Smooth quiet tire on my 12. One tire didn't even need any weights to balance! Comes in stock size. Many people love the looks of the tread on the rear as well.

Zfire28

Established Member
Just bought some bridgestone potenza S-04 pole position tires. Have been told they get great traction. I guess I'll see soon as I give them a test run.

gnats

Find One Recall Daily
Established Member
How is wet weather driving with the MPSS?

To be honest, I don't know if I've ever driven in the rain yet with the new tires. I try not to drive in the rain. I don't drive it much anyways. I just found out that the change oil light comes on after 6 months of not changing the oil. I've only driven about 1,000 miles in the last 6 months.

NightRide

Roll Racer
Established Member
I've ran just about every tire combo there is and the 555r is about the best between dry/wet traction.

Zfire28

Established Member
Tried out the S-04s this morning From a stop I didn't get near the traction I was hoping for. It was only about 50 degrees out though. Hoping for better results when it warms up later.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
I run 295\35\20 Nitto Invos on the rear and stock size Michelin AS\3 on the front. I do believe Michelin has the best rubber compound on the market, but I still prefer the Nittos because, well, they are 100$ cheaper than the Super Sport, and they still stick VERY well. If you want MORE traction I'd recommend a NT05. I was just trying to find the balance between planting rubber and not having to buy new tires every 5k.

I will say I like the Invos a lot more than the Pirreli P-Zeros, those things are just awful if you daily drive because they take a long time to warm up and if it is below 70f you just spin and spin, where as the Invo will stick at those temperatures.

Last edited:

Zfire28

Established Member
Temps got up to 80+ this afternoon so I gave the S-04s another go at it. I'm impressed. Stuck like glue off the line, but I was able to break them loose around a corner pretty good still, very controlled power slide. As soon as I had her straight they just grabbed and went.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Temps got up to 80+ this afternoon so I gave the S-04s another go at it. I'm impressed. Stuck like glue off the line, but I was able to break them loose around a corner pretty good still, very controlled power slide. As soon as I had her straight they just grabbed and went.

Were you really expecting summer rubber compound that is made for 85f+ to stick? Tires like that become bricks at 50f...come on bro. :coolman: Those are like the P-Zeros you have to do a burnout just to warm them up.

Last edited:

FHATTCATT

Venom Still In 'Em
Established Member
Am selling a pair of 305/35/20 Mickey Thompson drag radials with <100 miles for $650 shipped in continental US. My car has 725ish flywheel HP and they hooked very well (70 degree day from a couple stoplights without any burnout to heat em) the short time I had them on. They were on 9.5" rims and fit great with 0 rubbing on my slightly lowered car. Decided to go with a wider setup (for looks) so pulled them off. Have them listed in our local club forum. Can send pics.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
Am selling a pair of 305/35/20 Mickey Thompson drag radials with <100 miles for $650 shipped in continental US. My car has 725ish flywheel HP and they hooked very well (70 degree day from a couple stoplights without any burnout to heat em) the short time I had them on.

As a drag radial should....they are just gone in 1500-2000 miles, with your setup prob 1000.

Users who are viewing this thread