2011 GT500 Carputer

sikryd

Established Member
So I have been wanting to install a mac mini in my Shelby, and wanted to know how far I can get with the factory NAV unit. Does anyone know if there is a way to connect an external video source into the sync / nav system so that the touch screen will work to control my mac mini? I don't want to replace the nav head unit, or hack the car up in any way.
I could always add another monitor, but that would not be nearly as trick or geeky as connecting it to the factory system. I have not found anything that shows pin outs, or even if the factory nav unit has an aux video input.

Come on fellow car nerds... I know you are out there, show me what you got!

Bobbyblaze

Established Member
Very interesting I would like to know if thats possible, I doubt that the touch screen would work if the only available video in source was through RCA. I think it would take something like a DVI, or HDMI to make it work. Could be totally wrong but I have worked on a lot of car stereos and computers and dont think RCA's would transfer the right data.

sikryd

Established Member
Very interesting I would like to know if thats possible, I doubt that the touch screen would work if the only available video in source was through RCA. I think it would take something like a DVI, or HDMI to make it work. Could be totally wrong but I have worked on a lot of car stereos and computers and dont think RCA's would transfer the right data.

Yes the rca would be video only, and I would use a blue tooth touch pad to control. I would need a usb or serial bus connection for the touch screen I think. I would love to have touch screen access, but not necessary. I just don't want to add another monitor to the car, space is kinda limited.

Last edited:

Bobbyblaze

Established Member
Yes the rca would bevide only, and I would use a bluetooth touch pad to control. I would need a usb or serial bu:beer:s connection for the touch screen I think. I would love to have touch screen access, but not necissary. I just don't want to add another monitor to the car, space is kinda limited.

Kind of lost me there, but I see what your saying I would definitely not add another screen upfront, would look to tacky for me. Unless you had a custom fiberglass center console made.

I think you would have to have a lockpick in order to add an extra video source, It would be cool if it had a input that could utilize the touchscreen.

sikryd

Established Member
Kind of lost me there, but I see what your saying I would definitely not add another screen upfront, would look to tacky for me. Unless you had a custom fiberglass center console made.

I think you would have to have a lockpick in order to add an extra video source, It would be cool if it had a input that could utilize the touchscreen.

Sorry, I was replying from my phone. Damn auto correct! I keep forgetting to turn that off... Yeah, it would be sweet if I could use the touch screen. I had my Mac mini running in my 2005 F150 Supercrew, but that was with an after market head unit. I will look into the lockpick, but I suspect that it would be video only. My mac bluetooth touch pad is pretty good, but I would have to integrate it into the console somehow, and I do not want to cut the car up.

Bobbyblaze

Established Member
Sorry, I was replying from my phone. Damn auto correct! I keep forgetting to turn that off... Yeah, it would be sweet if I could use the touch screen. I had my Mac mini running in my 2005 F150 Supercrew, but that was with an after market head unit. I will look into the lockpick, but I suspect that it would be video only. My mac bluetooth touch pad is pretty good, but I would have to integrate it into the console somehow, and I do not want to cut the car up.

Where you able to use your touchscreen with the aftermarket deck in your F150? If so what connection was used? I have a Kenwood DNX9140 in my daily driver, would be kinda cool if I could hook a carputer up to it, but only if I could use it touchscreen.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
It's going to be a very tough mod that's going to require some custom programing and wiring to pull off. I'd just mount a tablet pc somewhere.

sikryd

Established Member
Where you able to use your touchscreen with the aftermarket deck in your F150? If so what connection was used? I have a Kenwood DNX9140 in my daily driver, would be kinda cool if I could hook a carputer up to it, but only if I could use it touchscreen.

I don't know about your specific model, but I'm sure you can find all the info you need at MP3Car.com - Recent Blogs Posts - Blogs

sikryd

Established Member
So I contacted the manufacturer of the lock pick... They do not have a model that is currently 100% functional on the 2011 model. The web site shows that the 2011 Mustang is covered, however the person I spoke to said that not all functions are working and they are working on it. This would be for video only, and no touch screen to control my MAC, SUCK!

Users who are viewing this thread