2011 gt500 paint work... what should i do

GLASSTOPGT500

Established Member
Hi everyone, I had the passenger door and passenger front fender repainted on the my 2011 GT500 because of some hater at work who keyed the two panels deep where it needed to be refinished and repainted.

Obviously am past the stage of literally putting this person in the ground, but after getting the vehicle sought after and repainted I have some questions.

It bothers me ALOT after repainting something on a vehicle, I just find its impossible to do factory fresh job on paint.

The paint came out actually REALLY GOOD. its a black car so matching wasn't exactly hard, but then upon its first detail, I noticed VERY minor clearcoat that is not sealed close to the bottom edge of the door, fender seems fine...

I was planning on just replacing the fenders and doors with carbon fiber units for some weight savings and to look past the repainted panels on the car... or this paint should hold up well once the clear coat is sealed properly?

I really like this car and plan to keep it a long time, and am meticulous with my cars so paint is not an exception.

the shop that did this work is
http://bramptoncollision.ca/

They use some REALLY good materials and clear coat, no cheap china crap... so I figured they would be good.

Do I need to just chill and stick with this?

TheGovernment

Established Member
Show a pic of what you are talking about. I've been a painter for the last 17 years, it may be something as simple as a bit of dry spray that can easily be polished out.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
Show a pic of what you are talking about. I've been a painter for the last 17 years, it may be something as simple as a bit of dry spray that can easily be polished out.

This, post photo for review. If said shop is decent, they will fix issue for you without hesitation. Their reputation is on the line too, especially when their work is on a nice car. They will want you saying to your friends what a great job they did and not how crappy the experience was. Do not be afraid to go back to the shop and ask them for help. Most people would be surprised that most good shops actually want to do a good job, but after all they are human and mistakes are sometimes made. I bet this will be no big deal.

Well on 2nd thought, I just looked at their website and saw they are now on all waterborne paints. Waterborne paints are known for issues when they first get going on it. Very interested to see photos.

Last edited:

TheGovernment

Established Member
This, post photo for review. If said shop is decent, they will fix issue for you without hesitation. Their reputation is on the line too, especially when their work is on a nice car. They will want you saying to your friends what a great job they did and not how crappy the experience was. Do not be afraid to go back to the shop and ask them for help. Most people would be surprised that most good shops actually want to do a good job, but after all they are human and mistakes are sometimes made. I bet this will be no big deal.

Well on 2nd thought, I just looked at their website and saw they are now on all waterborne paints. Waterborne paints are known for issues when they first get going on it. Very interested to see photos.

We have been using waterbourne paint in Canada for the last 11 years. It's actually illegal to sell non low VOC solvent paint in Canada. The change over would have been done at least 6 or 7 years ago for any type decent shop, as thats when the laws were coming into affect.
You couldn't pay me to use solvent paint anymore, waterbourne is superior in every way. At my dealership, we use Dupont Cromax ( well not dupont as of a few months ago, since they sold off their paint division) it's fast, covers with one and a half coats and is easy to work with. The Tech used in the better paints is really amazing.
I've never met a painter that would rather go back to solvent after getting used to water and other than having to learn how to spray the water ( a 1 day process) We never had any issues and out shop does 200,000 of work a month.

Last edited:

mavericks-03svt

Established Member
We have been using waterbourne paint in Canada for the last 11 years. It's actually illegal to sell non low VOC solvent paint in Canada. The change over would have been done at least 6 or 7 years ago for any type decent shop, as thats when the laws were coming into affect.
You couldn't pay me to use solvent paint anymore, waterbourne is superior in every way. At my dealership, we use Dupont Cromax ( well not dupont as of a few months ago, since they sold off their paint division) it's fast, covers with one and a half coats and is easy to work with. The Tech used in the better paints is really amazing.
I've never met a painter that would rather go back to solvent after getting used to water and other than having to learn how to spray the water ( a 1 day process) We never had any issues and out shop does 200,000 of work a month.

Wowza you guys switched over a long time ago. Here in Texas only a handful of shops are using waterborne base coats only. I haven't run across a shop yet that uses waterborne clears. Our climate is a lot different than yours and probably the heat and humidity and someone who has never used the waterborne clears is what causes the problems around here. We had one shop try waterborne clear for a while and switched back to solvent based clear. They were using Dupont and went back to good ole Spies.

GLASSTOPGT500

Established Member
Wowza you guys switched over a long time ago. Here in Texas only a handful of shops are using waterborne base coats only. I haven't run across a shop yet that uses waterborne clears. Our climate is a lot different than yours and probably the heat and humidity and someone who has never used the waterborne clears is what causes the problems around here. We had one shop try waterborne clear for a while and switched back to solvent based clear. They were using Dupont and went back to good ole Spies.

Yeah I can imagine what it be like painting a car in states like texas and Arizona.

DUPONT is what this shop used as far as I can remember, this was over a year ago now... I just noticed this on the door because the car has been sitting in a garage and I detailed it like last month.

I did speak to the shop, they seem like they have their ethics in the right place since they asked me to email them pictures since its a bit of challenge going there as I am in the middle of moving.

I will post some pictures tonight...

I did some research and hopefully they can seal the little area where the clear coat is not settled right, otherwise looks great.

The shop did mention they have a lifetime warranty on their work, perhaps this should all work out well :)

The change over the waterbourne paints was a while ago yeah, I remember a lot of body shops doing the change over, had paintwork with these paints done twice on two different cars, was very happy with the outcome overall aside from this minor issue... The first time although which was before they changed over I thought the paint job came out less to my likings, the car was an 87 but still... and it was black too

Last edited:

TheGovernment

Established Member
Yeah I can imagine what it be like painting a car in states like texas and Arizona.

DUPONT is what this shop used as far as I can remember, this was over a year ago now... I just noticed this on the door because the car has been sitting in a garage and I detailed it like last month.

I did speak to the shop, they seem like they have their ethics in the right place since they asked me to email them pictures since its a bit of challenge going there as I am in the middle of moving.

I will post some pictures tonight...

I did some research and hopefully they can seal the little area where the clear coat is not settled right, otherwise looks great.

The shop did mention they have a lifetime warranty on their work, perhaps this should all work out well :)

The change over the waterbourne paints was a while ago yeah, I remember a lot of body shops doing the change over, had paintwork with these paints done twice on two different cars, was very happy with the outcome overall aside from this minor issue... The first time although which was before they changed over I thought the paint job came out less to my likings, the car was an 87 but still... and it was black too

Just remember if you do get it redone, they are gonna sand it down and paint it again, you will have pretty much 3 full paint jobs on your door and depending on the color, a blend may be done as well, if they didn't do it already because of color. Thats a ton of paint. I'm constantly trying to talk people out of re-painting things that don;t really need it. No finish is better than the factory finish in terms of durability. After market can look nicer etc, the the corrosion element is always best on a factory job. If they do re-paint, make sure the take it down to the metal before doing it again.

You woun't believe what people bring back jobs for, the most insane reasons. Scammers are the worst, claiming we damaged things to get things repainted. It's disgusting how far people will go to get things for free ( not you, I just like telling this story lol) I told one guy about 1 year ago if he didn't leave my stall " It's gonna be hard to pick up all your teeth, with 2 broken arms" He cost me countless hours of work scamming and was a nightmare for the shop. Eventually the GM of the dealership came down and just freaked on the guy, we had video evidence of him scamming as after the first time he came back, I video'd a walk around of his car to document the damage that was there, feeling he was gonna do it again. He phoned the insurance company, GM, made the hugest deal and when he was in the boardroom freaking out, I brought in the evidence.... The look on his face was priceless, caught red-handed.
But the best part of the story is he was mad when leaving and backed into a 2013 CTS-V (80K cAR) and took off. Causing $9500 worth of damage ( we had video of him hitting it) denied it, so we phones the cops, the picked him up, he was charged, had to pay the $9500 out of pocket and lost his licence LOL karma is a bitch!

Sorry about the story, I just love to tell it because it was aWESOME :)

KTTrucks

Premium Member
Established Member
I LOVE this!!! I've got stories too... manages collision shops,a nd was a painter for many years in crash shops... people think you're dumb.. and we had to resort to doccumenting prior damage, and getting the customer to sign off on every little detail, which seriously annoys folks, be cause most prople are not scammers and just think we didnt trust them.. it was wierd, and all because of a few idiots that think a body shop makes " all the money"... if people knew the profit margin on autobody work they'd freak and wonder why anybody is in that business. Just because alot of $$$ goes through the business, doesn't mean it stays there. Back to the post.... a pic would be nice and I'll give an educated guess, but I agree, especially on black multiple resprays can show in a lumpy texture and look worse than the damage that was repaired. less is best sometimes. post a pic.

KT.

GLASSTOPGT500

Established Member
I LOVE this!!! I've got stories too... manages collision shops,a nd was a painter for many years in crash shops... people think you're dumb.. and we had to resort to doccumenting prior damage, and getting the customer to sign off on every little detail, which seriously annoys folks, be cause most prople are not scammers and just think we didnt trust them.. it was wierd, and all because of a few idiots that think a body shop makes " all the money"... if people knew the profit margin on autobody work they'd freak and wonder why anybody is in that business. Just because alot of $$$ goes through the business, doesn't mean it stays there. Back to the post.... a pic would be nice and I'll give an educated guess, but I agree, especially on black multiple resprays can show in a lumpy texture and look worse than the damage that was repaired. less is best sometimes. post a pic.

KT.

Yes I have been trying to get these pics on this post, just need to get to the car in storage. Busy selling my place and finding one closer to work at the same time, but tomorrow I finally get some time to drive down to storage and get these pics of the door.

mavericks-03svt

Established Member

KT.

you guys should be on the insurance side of the business. Otherwise, normal decent people turn in to idiots and scum bags when they file a claim. A lot of people think they can scam and get free stuff since they pay for insurance their entire life and never use it.

GLASSTOPGT500

Established Member
Hello, apologise about the delay getting these pics up
Had a chance last night to snap some pics of the door...
So its the passenger door, bottom rear near the corner... that area

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.png

4.png

5.jpg

Last edited:

TheGovernment

Established Member
That is for sure peeling clear. I would for sure take it back for a re-spray. It will just keep peeling away over time.

TheGovernment

Established Member
you guys should be on the insurance side of the business. Otherwise, normal decent people turn in to idiots and scum bags when they file a claim. A lot of people think they can scam and get free stuff since they pay for insurance their entire life and never use it.

I can only imagine the donkeys you'd get to deal with lol. At least in Manitoba, vehicle insurance is a provincial thing MPI. You don't have a choice, it's only them. They will give a bit of inside the car valuables but you generally have to go through your homes owners/renters insurance to get articles.

Users who are viewing this thread