2011 gt500

Driver72

Established Member
I can't seem to find a single test on the new improved GT500.
I know that's mostly because it's little brother, the new 5.0 is grabbing all the headlines and tests right now, but still, with 102 less lbs in the engine (around 145 less lbs overall), 10 more hp and probably a better running engine anyway, I'd expect a decent gain in performance with the 2011 GT.

Why hasn't any magazine, website, etc tested a 2011 GT500 yet?
Or if they have, anybody see any yet?
A great test would be a 2010 GT500 vs 2011 GT500 comparo test to see exactly what the performance changes are.

Last edited:

NoSVT's4me

Established Member

NoSVT's4me

Established Member
It's got a serious engine now(well, more serious), and I think it well may be the same(with minor changes) as the GT. I'm a little surprised this car isn't making more of a stir, I must say. I've only noticed 1 other thread about it (which happened to contain the video I posted here), but I expected several. I'm not seeing this talked about much anywhere. Since the car is clearly so much "better" than before, this seems a little odd...

Driver72

Established Member
It's got a serious engine now(well, more serious), and I think it well may be the same(with minor changes) as the GT. I'm a little surprised this car isn't making more of a stir, I must say. I've only noticed 1 other thread about it (which happened to contain the video I posted here), but I expected several. I'm not seeing this talked about much anywhere. Since the car is clearly so much "better" than before, this seems a little odd...

It's still not exactly the GT motor. The GT motor had a dry sump lubrication system and I think one or two other minor differences. But I agree, as I said in my original thread here, the 5.0 seems to be stealing it's thunder.
I think the other deal is the price. Though you are getting more now (power) and less too (weight) it's hard for people to swallow this car being $50k (and $54k with the performance pack).

I would of kept the price the same as the 2010 or even dropped the price a bit, as the 5.0 now makes it feel too expensive for the car.
5.0 does 12.7 @ 112+ mph 1/4
GT500 is 12.2 @ 117 in 1/4

Hard for many to swallow $20k more for 1/2 second.

And on a track a GT with Brembo package costs $33k.
It won't be humiliated by the GT500 either as the lighter GT probably handles nearly as well and brakes as well with the GT500's Brembo brakes too.

Again, hard to swallow $17-20k more for the GT500 when the performance isn't THAT much more.
However, the GT500 still looks meaner, has more exclusivity, and with a pulley and tune, adds much more power for less than the GT will.

NoSVT's4me

Established Member
Yeah... I think the GT500 is too much money, but I always have felt that about ANY vehicle bearing the name "SHEBLY"... His name adds dollars and has since the 80's(not just in the 60's Cobra, which was his build). I respect all he's done and am a huge fan of him... But I wish he didn't have to earn money on every sale, particularly to vehicles he's not building, or that he'd get less.

In the performance department, I really don't see the issue of price... I mean, yeah, it's still too expensive in my mind, but it's not related to performance, just the name. This new GT500 flat out SMASHES the new GT by all indications. Not just a bit quicker(and those numbers will probably both get better in time), but it's faster on the top end... limited though it is, by governor instead of drag, at about 9mph more if I remember correctly. I've read the GT is limited to 146, and that SUCKS! The 155 limit on the GT500 should be pulled, or at least bumped to 175... if the car can do it, and I believe it can.

As good as the new GT handles and goes, I think it will be waxed in road course racing by the GT500, both stock. And then there's the added value down the road. A nice example of this car will be worth far more than any regular GT in years to come. Probably more than twice as much in 40yrs... if we make it that long! :lol:

The new GT is stealing the show... EVERYWHERE it seems... That's great, but man... it's like the GT500 isn't available yet, or won't be... Talk is like a whisper comparatively.

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
It's got a serious engine now(well, more serious), and I think it well may be the same(with minor changes) as the GT.

The FGT has bigger cams and a factory twin screw blower, (GT500 still has a roots blower). Also the new liner technology on the cylinder bores in the 2011 GT500 has never been used in a Ford block before. (The Ford GT didn't have it).

The new GT500 is sick, at 37xxlbs I think it will be a solid 11 second car with a competent driver in decent conditions.

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
The new GT is stealing the show... EVERYWHERE it seems... That's great, but man... it's like the GT500 isn't available yet, or won't be... Talk is like a whisper comparatively.

That is becuase when you are comparing the 2010 to the 2011, the GT has a much greaster delta in the performance dept. The GT has been limp wristed since 96, and there was no need to change it untill GM put the heat on with the Camaro. Ford hit it out of the park with the base GT.
The GT500 is awesome for sure though, but it's either expensive, or new Corvettes are cheap ;) You can probably pick up a grans Sport Vette for what you would fork over for a 2011 with the PP, and I wager the Vette would put a hurting on the stang just about everywhere. If you think about it, that is kind of a compliment. You can have a pony car, with corvette performance, for about the same doe, and still be "practical".

65mph_Roll

Established Member
The FGT has bigger cams and a factory twin screw blower, (GT500 still has a roots blower). Also the new liner technology on the cylinder bores in the 2011 GT500 has never been used in a Ford block before. (The Ford GT didn't have it).

The new GT500 is sick, at 37xxlbs I think it will be a solid 11 second car with a competent driver in decent conditions.

Not the same blower (but both are 550HP?) Is the GT500 "less under rated" than the GT? I know the GT put almost their rating to the wheels, like the 03/04...

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Not the same blower (but both are 550HP?) Is the GT500 "less under rated" than the GT? I know the GT put almost their rating to the wheels, like the 03/04...

Yeah the GT is underrated. It uses a 2.3L Lysholm blower which I believe is nearly identical to a 2.3L Whipple. With the stock pulley the twin screw doesn't make as much as you would expect over a roots. The big difference in power comes when you pulley them since the twin screw is obviously a lot more efficient and can be spun faster.

NoSVT's4me

Established Member
That is becuase when you are comparing the 2010 to the 2011, the GT has a much greaster delta in the performance dept. The GT has been limp wristed since 96, and there was no need to change it untill GM put the heat on with the Camaro. Ford hit it out of the park with the base GT.
I sort of agree, but the new GT500 is a big home run as well, and is seemingly much better than the last.
The GT500 is awesome for sure though, but it's either expensive, or new Corvettes are cheap ;) You can probably pick up a grans Sport Vette for what you would fork over for a 2011 with the PP, and I wager the Vette would put a hurting on the stang just about everywhere. If you think about it, that is kind of a compliment. You can have a pony car, with corvette performance, for about the same doe, and still be "practical".
I'm not sure about the GS outperforming the GT500... When Ford took it to VIR, my understanding is the new GT500 ran the course directly between the ZR1 and ZO6, both of which beat the GS rather handily. Maybe I read a misprint, but I remember a .4 and a .8 for those, and a .6 for the GT500... 2.48 or 58. ...

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
I sort of agree, but the new GT500 is a big home run as well, and is seemingly much better than the last.
I'm not sure about the GS outperforming the GT500... When Ford took it to VIR, my understanding is the new GT500 ran the course directly between the ZR1 and ZO6, both of which beat the GS rather handily. Maybe I read a misprint, but I remember a .4 and a .8 for those, and a .6 for the GT500... 2.48 or 58. ...

The GS is actually right behind the Z06, A LOT of it has to do with whose behind the wheel and track conditions though.

2009 Audi R8 5.2 FSI (V10) - 2:59.5
2009 Nissan GTR - 2:59.0 (C&D states all season tires)
2009 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport - 2:58.8...
2011 Ford Shelby GT500 - 2:58.5
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 2:58.2
2009 Ariel Atom 3 - 2:57.6
2007 Dodge Viper SRT10 - 2:57.4
2009 Nissan GTR - 2:55.6 (non-all season tire?)
2008 Ferrari 430 Scuderia - 2:54.6
2010 Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 - 2:53.9
2009 KTM X-Bow - 2:52.3
2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 - 2:51.8
2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR - 2:48.6
2008 Mosler MT900S - 2:45.9

As for the pricing, the GS starts at what a fully loaded GT500 with touch screen nav, shaker1000 stereo and the SVTperformance pack MSRPs for. Load up a Grandsport with all the same options, (navigation, wheel package, etc) and it's almost $15,000 more.

Chevrolet | Build Your Own - Customize Your Perfect Car By Trim

NoSVT's4me

Established Member
Whatever I read, I don't recall the GS being in it... Oh well, it is what it is. The GT500 is a serious performer. It is surprising to see that price on the GS though... SHEESH! May as well just get a ZO6 and call it a day. On the other hand, I think I'd first look at production numbers. If the GS is more limited than the ZO6, I'd probably rather the GS. But it's SURE hard to beat a ZO6 on the street. I'm not even talking about racing it, just the fact it's a stunning car to look at and you just know it performs, even from a distance. Anyway, thanks for posting that info... Time for :sleeping:

ChiSVT

SVT 4 Life
Established Member
Whatever I read, I don't recall the GS being in it... Oh well, it is what it is. The GT500 is a serious performer. It is surprising to see that price on the GS though... SHEESH! May as well just get a ZO6 and call it a day. On the other hand, I think I'd first look at production numbers. If the GS is more limited than the ZO6, I'd probably rather the GS. But it's SURE hard to beat a ZO6 on the street. I'm not even talking about racing it, just the fact it's a stunning car to look at and you just know it performs, even from a distance. Anyway, thanks for posting that info... Time for :sleeping:

I agree, the Z06 is a tough sports car to beat for the money. However, considering the size and comfort of the GT500 it too is hard to beat for the money, (basically a car that's the same price/size as an M3 with all the same available options and it will blowe the doors off it while pulling 1.0gs+ on the skid and out braking it).

As for the pricing, keep in mind the GT500 has few available options, whereas Corvettes have a ridiculous amount of options. Once you add options to the Z06 it too can become a $80K+ car.

Add aluminum wheels and navigation and a 3LZ Z06 is $83,000 AFTER a $3000 cash discount.

Last edited:

Ray Lucca

Established Member
Some great comments here. I currently have a pristine 03 Terminator Vert, and I'm thinking about a change. Since I will only buy a Vert., I had few choices until this year. With the advent of the GS Corvette Vert, a 2 or 3 LT, with no Nav. looks good, as prices are dropping. An 11 GT 500 Vert., full stripe delete, and the PP package looks to be a winner, gotta drive, and check one out. Last but not least, a new 11 5.0 GT Premium Vert, Brembo's, 6 speed, 3.55 or 3.73 Rear. I'm guessing by fall a Tune, Intake, and Exhaust oughta add around 30 Rwhp. Or, Ford Racing should have their new Blower ought by then with say another 100-120 HP on 5-6 lbs of Boost, maybe with warranty if added at time of delivery. Should be around 470-485 Rwhp on a Dynojet, the question is how much $$$. 4th option is to keep my car, it's paid off so I can move quickly, or not.. Any opinions welcome

NoSVT's4me

Established Member
I would personally hold off for at least close to another yr in your situation. You've got no rush, more models may become available, and... you'll get to see if any problems exist in these new models available today. The value of your car probably won't drop much and since it's paid for, you can save more cash in the meantime. Unless something struck me as an "I want this NOW!" kind of thing... I'd wait.

The thought of whether to buy a 'Vette or another Mustang, for me would come down to 2 thoughts. Do I want or need rear seats? How much do I really want to fork over for a car? The performance between the GT500 and GS or ZO6 is negligible for daily use, and the new GT is at least close to the Cobra you have now when stock. It's not like you'll be pushing the envelope regularly on the street. My $.02

Nathan'sTsi

Established Member
The GS is actually right behind the Z06, A LOT of it has to do with whose behind the wheel and track conditions though.

2009 Audi R8 5.2 FSI (V10) - 2:59.5
2009 Nissan GTR - 2:59.0 (C&D states all season tires)
2009 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport - 2:58.8...
2011 Ford Shelby GT500 - 2:58.5
2007 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 - 2:58.2
2009 Ariel Atom 3 - 2:57.6
2007 Dodge Viper SRT10 - 2:57.4
2009 Nissan GTR - 2:55.6 (non-all season tire?)
2008 Ferrari 430 Scuderia - 2:54.6
2010 Lamborghini Murcielago LP670-4 - 2:53.9
2009 KTM X-Bow - 2:52.3
2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 - 2:51.8
2008 Dodge Viper SRT10 ACR - 2:48.6
2008 Mosler MT900S - 2:45.9

As for the pricing, the GS starts at what a fully loaded GT500 with touch screen nav, shaker1000 stereo and the SVTperformance pack MSRPs for. Load up a Grandsport with all the same options, (navigation, wheel package, etc) and it's almost $15,000 more.

Personlly, I wouldn't opt for all the optional crap, and I'm sure those looking that hard at the perfomance wouldn't tack on an additional 15k in options ;) Not to mention I am sure you'd be paying a lot less than MSRP on the Cheby.

NoSVT's4me

Established Member
Personlly, I wouldn't opt for all the optional crap, and I'm sure those looking that hard at the perfomance wouldn't tack on an additional 15k in options ;) Not to mention I am sure you'd be paying a lot less than MSRP on the Cheby.
How can you be sure you'd be paying less than MSRP for the Chevy? And, even at less than MSRP, would you pay more or less for it than the GT500? I think the price a ZO6 is a bit higher than the GT500.

For all out performance, it seems the ZO6 or ZR1 would be a more obvious choice. That said, most people don't buy a new car strictly for performance.

Users who are viewing this thread