2011 Retuned for Drive Ability and Be Warned;

DHFB

Established Member
I bought this car used with 1600 miles on it and when I got it, it was rode hard and put away wet. The car had a 2.9L Whipple with complete supporting mods along with Kooks LTH's, Mid and axle backs. It bucked, surged and loaded up and when you put your foot down it made so much smoke it looked like a diesel pick up... not to mention that it sounded like complete crap.

I replaced the PCM and added another set of Kooks 3" x 10" race mufflers along with a set of cats from Kooks. The car sounded good but the original tune was terrible so I setup a appiontment with Ed Clark to come down and dyno tune the car.

The way I would describe the tune on the car from the previous owner is undrivable. You literary could not drive this around town it was sooo bad! We shortly discovered that the original tune was setting off one of the O2 sensors in limp mode by overalying tunes. In short I learned that tuning these new 2011's is like a whole new world even when compared to the 2010 GT 500. It took Chris Johnson, owner of SCT, and one of the best tuners, Ed Clark, to get this car right. It took from 7:30am to 6:00pm on the dyno to figure this thing out.... all Ed said was that everything on this car is backwards from what he has seen tuning cars over the last 40 years. Ed refused to give up and with support from Chris they got it running.

The point to all this is if you have a 2011 with some deep mods you need to find the best to tune these cars. These 2011 GT500's are not the average car to tune and you need to be prepared for some frustration and a learning curve; along with the occasional wrench light. Also, make sure to reset the computer on any error or I promise it will continue. I also want to say that if you get the chance to use Ed Clark as a tuner you better bleed for the chance... this guy is awesome and refused to give up. Even though I never met him, I would also ascertain that Chris Johnson of SCT has one of the biggest hearts in the car business and really cares about his product and customers; he was on the phone with Ed during his daughters birthday to help me out and stayed with us almost all day!!!

Now the fun stuff. Notice that my AFR is 10.5 thru the pull. The car could have easily made 750+ with a leaner run but it is already scary at 720 RWHP! I am in love with this car and have never been in anything that is close to as fast!

2011GT500WhippleKooks3_27_11.gif

IMG00264-20110326-1251.gif

1ZVBP8JS3B5118792-17.gif

I will post some videos of the run later in the week when I get a chance...

Video Update

th_GT500DynoDay3_27_11.gif

Last edited:

SVT_SRT8

Established Member
Change your throttle body and it will completely change the drivability. Those throttle bodies are best on the drag strip the whipple/l&m monoblades are either go or no!

DHFB

Established Member
Change your throttle body and it will completely change the drivability. Those throttle bodies are best on the drag strip the whipple/l&m monoblades are either go or no!

I should have made a point in talking to this in the original post since it was a point of contention with me as well. I have a twin 66MM L and M on the car. With the original tune the car ran terrible and what, like you, I would have blamed on the aftermarket throttle body. When I had a proper tune on this car it ran with the smoothness of a Caddy!!! I am not kidding either... a Caddy. It is a absolute joy to drive this car slow and in trafffic now where before I almost reconsidered having this car. I talked to Herman Hydro at L and M, hell of a nice guy I would add, and asked him if there was something my tuner should know when dyno tuning this car since I thought the TB was a big part of the problem... his comment was move the injector and don't mess with the mass transfer function and drivability will be great and he was spot on right. The whole issue with the car was soley the tune and not any of the parts!!!

DHFB

Established Member
Is it just me or does it still look way rich???

10.5 is rich but when you are making 720+ RWHP on a street car with 93 octane pump gas I don't think it is that rich. 11.5 was the target but making big power versus making it safe.... Well I chose safe over 750+ RWHP. The car is so ridiculously fast already and there is no way to use all this power on the street anyway so I agreed to error on the side of caution and not push for the 11.5 target. I can now do anythign with the car, regardless of temp, and know that I am safe with my tune.

DHFB

Established Member
Damn that is crazy!!! Sorry for your troubles man.. Just curious how much boost?

It is making 17#'s. The reason for my post was more to warn others that these are not your average mustang tune. The new software that runs on the 2011's are far different than past and prepare yourself for some adventure.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
Yea I know you weren't bashing. Those are crazy amazing numbers for 17#'s and that AFR. You have quite the beast on your hands man.. Be safe driving!

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
BTW how does the car sounds with the race mufflers and the catted x-pipe.. I'm curious because I'm going to be switching up my setup soon.

FordFanStan

Established Member
I bought this car used with 1600 miles on it and when I got it, it was rode hard and put away wet.

Hopefully there was never any internal damage due to the previous tuner. I think you should find out who it was and out them so people know to stay away. Anymore on that tune and I bet you would have destroyed the engine.

Notice that my AFR is 10.5 thru the pull. The car could have easily made 750+ with a leaner run but it is already scary at 720 RWHP!

I really don't think you would have picked up much power from 10.5 to 11.5 A/F, so I wouldn't be too worried. There's no "set A/F" this setup should be at anyway, every combo is different and it may like 10.5 more IMO.

his comment was move the injector and don't mess with the mass transfer function and drivability will be great and he was spot on right. The whole issue with the car was soley the tune and not any of the parts!!!

Don't mess with the MTF at all? Injector slope I'm guessing? This sounds odd. But at any rate glad the car got dialed in for you and it sounds like it was all worth it now.

Congrats on the car and sounds like Ed and Chris did a great job. FFS

DHFB

Established Member
BTW how does the car sounds with the race mufflers and the catted x-pipe.. I'm curious because I'm going to be switching up my setup soon.

It is still loud but not obnoxious like it was. The Race mufflers I put on, if you look at the picture, is before the turn around the rear and helped tone it down. The biggest difference in mitigating sound was the cats I believe. The drone is still there at 6th gear but it is not nearly as bad (say a 50% or better improvement). When I post the video you will get a good idea of where it is... sounds mean but will not scare small children anymore. The thing I really found funny is that my car made more power with more fuel with more exhaust i.e. the original runs were with a straight thru X pipe and a single set of mufflers and made 710 RWHP with 670 TQ with a 12 to 1 AFR ... now I gave up ~2 lbs / TQ but gained 10+ HP with the extra set of mufflers and cats with a AFR of 10.5 with 723 RWHP and 669 TQ... go figure??? Like I said I am happy with the tune... the drivability is awesome, the AFR is safe and the advance is probably less than Ford uses on their Procal's.

DHFB

Established Member
Hopefully there was never any internal damage due to the previous tuner. I think you should find out who it was and out them so people know to stay away. Anymore on that tune and I bet you would have destroyed the engine.

I really don't think you would have picked up much power from 10.5 to 11.5 A/F, so I wouldn't be too worried. There's no "set A/F" this setup should be at anyway, every combo is different and it may like 10.5 more IMO.

Don't mess with the MTF at all? Injector slope I'm guessing? This sounds odd. But at any rate glad the car got dialed in for you and it sounds like it was all worth it now.

Congrats on the car and sounds like Ed and Chris did a great job. FFS

I know the previous owner.. he thought the car was cursed. I also met the previous tuner and he thought someone messed with the car since he saw it. I am not saying any of them were wrong in anyway but the car was poop until Ed and Chris sprinkled magic dust on it. I agree that shooting for 11.5 was futile and some would think it rich but it does come back up at redline to near 12 but the extrapolation is highly exponential as you can see from the graph. I have no clue on Mass Whatsohuzie from a flux capacitor but I can tell you that all the old tricks for tuning these are out the window.. it is a whole new ball game as I see it.

DHFB

Established Member
Damn that's nuts!

You know, I saw your reply and thought... yeah that is nuts. This is a "stock motor" with some bolt ons making around ~840 Crank HorsePower!!! What a great time we live in isn't it. If you are close to my age you heard all about your dads 1969 whateverthef@ck and the ten dollar bill on the dash trick. If cars back then made 400RWHP they were undrivable; big cams and high idles etc. The stuff we have today is just crazy and we really should see more fatalities. Not only is the stuff crazy faster it is also ridiculously safer!!!! Talk about having your cake and eating it too!!!

AlanSVT

Established Member
Damn when I get back to the states we have to meet up....Hopefully at a HPJ gathering....

Glad you figured it out.

Alan

BlackBeauty44

Snake bitten
Established Member
This might be a stupid question but I understand the supporting mods are probably bigger fuel injectors, fuel pump, intake and filter along with full exhaust as mentioned above. But is the motor internals still stock? Plus what about the clutch?

DHFB

Established Member
This might be a stupid question but I understand the supporting mods are probably bigger fuel injectors, fuel pump, intake and filter along with full exhaust as mentioned above. But is the motor internals still stock? Plus what about the clutch?

Motor Internals are 100% Stock and so is the clutch. The 2011's have 6 bolt mains with forged internals. I have heard some say that 1000 Crank is possible with these blocks; these rumors come from folks I know at FOMOCO. The stock fuel system in a 2011 is suppose to be able to support up to 800+ Crank with stock injectors; I am running 72's. The 2011 Shelby also has the twin disc but no idea how much it is rated for and how long it will last in this configuration; time will tell. My car has:

2.9L Whipple
Rock Crusher Inlet
123MM Mass Air
Whipple Cold Air Intake
66MM Twin L and M TB
72# Injectors

Straight Through Kooks all the way with X2 Race Reasonators and Cats

ShakeNBake

Established Member
You know, I saw your reply and thought... yeah that is nuts. This is a "stock motor" with some bolt ons making around ~840 Crank HorsePower!!! What a great time we live in isn't it. If you are close to my age you heard all about your dads 1969 whateverthef@ck and the ten dollar bill on the dash trick. If cars back then made 400RWHP they were undrivable; big cams and high idles etc. The stuff we have today is just crazy and we really should see more fatalities. Not only is the stuff crazy faster it is also ridiculously safer!!!! Talk about having your cake and eating it too!!!

that's unbelievable how you father talked about the $10 bucks on the dash trick :D +1 on that brother "dad had a 1966 something.. lol" that's all he every talks about.

Users who are viewing this thread