2011 seats in 2014 ABS issue.. help!

gamecock426

TwinTurbo5.0
Established Member
Hey guys, I bought a set of leather seats from a 2011 mustang to replace the cloth seats in my 2014. When installing I did run into the seat belt sensor plugs not matching so I swapped the connectors from my stock seats which fixed that issue. All of the other connectors hooked right up and work properly except now my ABS light is on.

The abs sensor plugged right in like the original but in my research it looks like there may be a difference in the connections between the 2011 and 2014 abs modules. Does anyone know what I need to do to fix this? Is it possible for Ford to recalibrate the sensors somehow or will I need to take the seats completely apart and swap everything from my stock seats?

I have tried to reset the abs fuse and ecu with no success.

Thank you!

Paul.

Established Member
Take everything back apart, swap the leather skins onto your '14 seats, and put the OEM connectors back on. The '11/'12 and '13/'14 airbags and passenger side OCS are not interchangeable without causing an airbag light.

Paul.

gamecock426

TwinTurbo5.0
Established Member
Paul thank you for your response and help! Not what I was hoping to hear though.

Is it possible to swap just the airbag portion between the 2 seats? the 11 seats had power on both and heated seats that I'd enjoy having if possible.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
First is it the airbag light that's on or abs? My thoughts are that the newer airbags may have a different resistance and the module is not seeing the correct readings. Also I would get the codes checked, you might just have to get the passenger presence re zeroed in the OCS.

Paul.

Established Member
Paul thank you for your response and help! Not what I was hoping to hear though.

Is it possible to swap just the airbag portion between the 2 seats? the 11 seats had power on both and heated seats that I'd enjoy having if possible.

Yes. If you swap all of the electronics from one seat frame to another, then essentially the car "won't know any different" and you won't have an airbag light. This would be swapping the airbags and the passenger side occupant classification system.

If you take a gander at this thread, you'll learn a lot about the ins and outs of seat installs. Tob and I have some very detailed walkthroughs.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?909957-My-FRPP-Recaro-s-just-came-in

Paul.

gamecock426

TwinTurbo5.0
Established Member
First is it the airbag light that's on or abs? My thoughts are that the newer airbags may have a different resistance and the module is not seeing the correct readings. Also I would get the codes checked, you might just have to get the passenger presence re zeroed in the OCS.

It is the airbag light and not the abs. What do you mean get the codes checked, like from Ford?

gamecock426

TwinTurbo5.0
Established Member
Hey guys, quick update, I took Paul's advice and went ahead and started the process of swapping the airbags and passenger OCS to my 2011 seats. I was able to get the airbags swapped and mounted however now I ran into an issue with the OCS. The original bladder from my 2014 will not connect to the 2011 harness as it has a different connector (and different wires). Can anyone tell me without putting it all back together and finding out the hard way if I would be able to use the bladder from the 2011 in my 2014 or would I still run into an issue with the SRS light? I do not want to have to reuse my factory seat bottoms as I would lose the power functionality that I would prefer to have.

Thank you!

gamecock426

TwinTurbo5.0
Established Member
So I played it safe and reused my original OCS and bottom seat without the power. I went ahead and put everything back together to check it before moving over to the drivers side and was surprised to find that the airbag light went out! It looks like the Passenger OCS itself may have been the issue all along as I still have the 2011 seat/airbag in the drivers side with no light.

Thanks everyone for all of your help!

Paul.

Established Member
Keep in mind, you can separate the bottom seat "halves" and bolt the power seat track assembly to the seat bottom metal frame. That way you have the correct OCS along with your power seats. Check out the thread I linked. There are very detailed pictures in there that should show you everything.

Paul.

gamecock426

TwinTurbo5.0
Established Member
Keep in mind, you can separate the bottom seat "halves" and bolt the power seat track assembly to the seat bottom metal frame. That way you have the correct OCS along with your power seats. Check out the thread I linked. There are very detailed pictures in there that should show you everything.

Paul.

There was no issue of the OCS mounting to the frame but the actual connector itself on the OCS not connecting.

Paul.

Established Member
If you take the OCS and the seat bottom metal frame from your '14 seat, you can attach it to the power seat assembly from the '11, then cover it with whatever upholstery you wanted. Then you'll have power seats and an OCS attaches and won't give you any trouble.

So your setup will look like this:
- power seat track: 2011
- metal seat bottom: either '11 or '14
- OCS: '14
- Airbags: '14
- Upholstery: whichever you like better

Paul.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread