2011 to 2014 Issues/Questions

Blown99GT

Forged and Blown
Established Member
Hey Guys,

I'm trying to brush up on my knowledge of the new 5.0. I've always been a New Edge Owner, so my knowledge of that car is good, but i really know nothing about the new 5.0 so i'm hoping people can chime in and educate me.

I am planning on getting a '15 when it comes out but in the event i cant get my hands on one, what are the known issues with the 11-14 models if i have to settle on those.

I keep hearing about the dredded #8 cylinder, but what year does that happen on? I have also heard the manual trans has issues too, but again, what year?

Anything you guys could chime in with as far as issues are concerned would help me in the long run. TIA.

5.0jake

Established Member
I haven't heard of any cases of #8 cylinders going up in the 13-14 GT's, but like said above the reputable tuners have sorted this out.

I have had both the manual an the auto in this platform and the grass is definitely greener with the auto.:-D This is coming from a manual lover btw.

If not getting a 15' I'd go with a base 14' auto 5.0 with Recaros and track pack.

08mojo

Established Member
#8 was a tune issue that most reputable tuners have since fixed, and the tranny is a crap shoot

+1.

My wife had a 2012 6mt with no issues. It was sold at 18,000 and the transmission felt perfect. It seems if the transmission is bad, it shows signs early on: grinding, notchy shifts, etc...

I have a 2014 6mt with no issues--but it only has 800 miles, so it's way too early to tell if this transmission is good or bad.

Blown99GT

Forged and Blown
Established Member
I haven't heard of any cases of #8 cylinders going up in the 13-14 GT's, but like said above the reputable tuners have sorted this out.

I have had both the manual an the auto in this platform and the grass is definitely greener with the auto.:-D This is coming from a manual lover btw.

If not getting a 15' I'd go with a base 14' auto 5.0 with Recaros and track pack.

thanks dude :rockon: i have a built 4r70w for my 2000 GT, so i have an auto already to drive, so i'm looking to pick up a 6 speed for the '15 or worst case a '14. I'm pretty sure i could get a smoking deal on a '14 with the '15s coming out, but it wont be until 2016 when i can do it since my lease on my explorer is up in '16. So until then i'm trying to learn as much as i can about the '14s. :coolman:

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member

I didnt ever think id hear the day we praise an automatic tranny on a Mustang fourm, but i hear more and more pepole say there faster.:coolman:

Blown99GT

Forged and Blown
Established Member
I didnt ever think id hear the day we praise an automatic tranny on a Mustang fourm, but i hear more and more pepole say there faster.:coolman:

yeah i have heard nothing but good things about the auto, but the fact that i already have one at my disposal is the reason i want to go manual, and in some cases i have heard they had issues, maybe in the higher rpms :shrug:

jmaStang

Established Member
I love the car, but I would have put up additional money for a Shelby if I knew how much anxiety I'd have over this damn transmission. I feel like its on borrowed time and I'm only at 11k. Auto is faster but I'm just not interested.

Cammed06

Established Member
+1 on the '14 base, auto, recaro, only (no track pack on auto). That's what I picked up. After several Ford and GM cars, some heavily modded (GM's mostly). Manuals, autos, IRS, sra, blah blah. I had an m6 2011 GT, premium, 3.31 gear car with cai, o/r mids, gt500 cans and BAMA tune. With slicks and skinnies, a 5500 clutch drop pulled front wheels and ran 7.40's at my local 1/8. Ran 11.70's one year at pony wars. Fast forward through some other cars and the choice was carefully made for a GT base auto, cloth manual recaro seats. I'm doing exact same mods as before to begin. 100% Bone stock, full weight, over 1/2 tank of fuel ran 8.32-8.37 in about 12-14 runs.

'15 availability wasn't a concern, the IRS was (with my goals), plus pricing would be the issue. When you start creeping into c7 pricing ($51k starting for 1lt vette), and IRS cars, just grab a vette.

There are concerns with pretty much any car you buy, but agreed that the #8 issue seems to have been remedied. You can bet you're paycheck that there will be issues with the new '15...

5.0jake

Established Member
Last edited:

Blown99GT

Forged and Blown
Established Member
You are right, I misspoke...
I meant to say base Brembo auto w/ recaros. That is if one cares for the Brembos...
Like this: New 2014 Ford Mustang GT w Brembo and Recaro (Red Car) | Daytona Beach, Central Florida
I got a 14 base auto 5.0 but regretfully skipped the Recaros:nonono:
Other than that I love the car! I got a great deal on mine too at $26300 after rebates.

love the way that looks in the link :bowdown: i'm so tempted to just get a 14 for a killer price and mod the piss out of it

5.0jake

Established Member
love the way that looks in the link :bowdown: i'm so tempted to just get a 14 for a killer price and mod the piss out of it

Time will tell but the 11-14' may actually be a better platform for straight line speed not having an IRS. I also just heard the 15' is going to be 100 lbs more than the current 5.0 on Edmund's first look. No official #'s yet but I would guess that the 15' will probably be as powerful as a tuned 11-14.

Users who are viewing this thread