2011 vs 96 GT mileage difference?

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
I'm on the verge ov breaking down and buying a small good on gas car to commute. I borrow my girl's 96 GT to get around when i get sick ov my Charger's 8mpg, but even that gets pricey on longer trips. I suppose if i really wanted to (read: if it was economically viable) i could swing a lease on a 2011 GT, but trading one muscle car for another at this point would be pointless, no matter how much fun i'd have in a new GT.

I haven't actually calculated the mileage i get outta the 96 in the years i've driven it, but i assume its not as good as the new one (with a manual) despite having almost double the power. Anyone here owned both? Mine's got a Dr. Gas O/R X-pipe and Spintechs, a K&N and bigger wheels and tires. If the new one (lets say w manual and 3.73's) gets better mileage, by how much? approximately.

The whole brand new car bonus and all the wonderful things that come with that aside, and the performance aside, it would have to do considerably better than my 96 GT to even think about going after one for me. Technology is wonderful... but how wonderful...???

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
I should also add that i've seen both official mileage estimates and they are similar, 16/24-25 (city/highway) for the 96 manual, and 17-18/25-26 for the 2011 manual... but do they come about these figures the same way they did 15 years ago? I thought they changed the way mileage was estimated not too long ago and now the figures are more conservative than they were?

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
just a suggestion, look at the 2011 V6, capable of 30mpg on the highway IIRC and 300+ hp

ringo01

Established Member
I'm not sure the exact mileage, but my Manual with 3.73s gets worse mileage than my 2007 GT with 3.55s. I think if it had the 3.31s it would make a huge difference. I usually drive pretty fast on the highways and I think that's what kills it for me. If I would drive 65, it would probably get into the upper 20s, but for now at 75-85 mph I only get around 22 mpg.

The new car is worth it, even though it's mileage may not be that great... WARNING: If you test drive one, you will probably buy one...

11dsgGT

Established Member
In my stock 6MT GT I made 27.73mpg on the highway. I take long trips every month and have noticed it get better and better as the engine breaks in.

By no means am I concerned about gas mileage in this mustang, but in my 99 I am getting around 10mpg, so I know where you are coming from. If I was, I would buy a new 2012 RS Focus or something.

bssmith1220

Established Member
If you even have to say the phrase "gas mileage" in your car buying decision....get something meant for that. Mine gets around 20mpg (manual with 3.73's commuting in traffic), its good for what it is however if I really was concerned about it I woulda bought a turd to commute in.

351inside

Established Member
I'm not sure the exact mileage, but my Manual with 3.73s gets worse mileage than my 2007 GT with 3.55s. I think if it had the 3.31s it would make a huge difference. I usually drive pretty fast on the highways and I think that's what kills it for me. If I would drive 65, it would probably get into the upper 20s, but for now at 75-85 mph I only get around 22 mpg.

The new car is worth it, even though it's mileage may not be that great... WARNING: If you test drive one, you will probably buy one...

Hell yeah my 2011 eats up more gas than my basically fully bolt on 08 gt with 331s, about 50-60 miles more per tank, no lie... but i babied the 08 more since it was so damn loud

Even my 98 with a mark 8 motor get better MPG than my 2011, maybe because i dont get on it as often but still, i was a little dissapointed with the 2011 mpg, but the rest of the car make up for it

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
when my auto 96 was stock i got 28 mph cruising at 65mph and 24 at 80. 3.08 gear it had.

my gas mileage with the 2011 on the highway is 25. when i added the roush mufflers i picked up 3 mpg. i have no idea why. aggressive tune.

it got 24 highway stock
21.8 with tune and x-pipe
now 25 mpg

Last edited:

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member

Well that is the problem isn't it. When i put the Dr. Gas X and the Spintechs on the GT i swear the mileage dropped close to the single digits. Suddenly the car wont shift under 4000rpm...

You guys definitely answered the question though. I just figured since i hear so much about the 2011 GT's 'better mileage' than its mod motor predecessor it might be better than my first-gen non-PI headed 4.6 SOHC GT. Huge power gains, but also the technological gains as well... but i guess not. It would have to be at least 5mpg better to make it worthwhile. I dont need to buy another muscle car for the sake ov speeding... i've got a driveway full o big block Mopars for that. But i figured if i could commute in a fun car...

I really really really hate to buy a little shitbox... But i suppose its the only good option. Gas just hit $1.16 a liter here. Heh... so i guess i'd better not test drive one... we're still waiting for one to show up at the dealership here, all they have is V6's.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
Honestly, if a V6 made 500HP and got 50mpg i still wouldn't be interested. Nothing on this earth would make it sound or feel good.

sound I tend to agree. However 500 hp gonna feel pretty damn good! And hell, better IMHO then a 4 cyl rice box as a DD. :beer:

good luck in your choice

Pale Roader

Stuck in Mopar Hell...
Established Member
sound I tend to agree. However 500 hp gonna feel pretty damn good! And hell, better IMHO then a 4 cyl rice box as a DD. :beer:

good luck in your choice

Heh... well, my reasoning is that if its not a V8, it might as well be a 4. I bought a Pinto to do a 5.0L/5spd swap years ago... maybe i should just get that wreck running with the stock 2.3...

Users who are viewing this thread