2012 Boss 302 CJ Intake Swap Thread

corysmach1

Established Member
No problem. With as rough as the intake is out of the box it is not surprising the clean up helped out. As well as the smoothed and contoured fuel injector bung.

I think come spring I will finally get the car back on the dyno with Shaun's updated tune. That dyno pass was on his base tune. Then I am gonna throw on some full length headers and see what it ends up at. After that back to the track to see if I can improve on the ET.

Should be interesting to see how your combo turns out.

Me too man. What headers are you gonna go with? I run E85 so I am gonna go with Kooks....i dont feel like moving the 02's.

EJR

Established Member
We will just have to see. I picked up an honest 25whp on a roadrunner motor going from a stock boss intake, stock tb, and C&l air tube to a worked CJ with monoblade and 5" air tube. Maybe there is a bit left in the tune... but Im not holding my breath on that one

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
That's a very healthy power number. Congratulations! A good set of cams would probably get you in the mid-500s. Shaun will tune the Comp S3s with full VCT range. I understand that he can make them idle like stock cams if you want and maintain low end torque. I think they would compliment the CJ intake nicely.

EJR

Established Member
That's a very healthy power number. Congratulations! A good set of cams would probably get you in the mid-500s. Shaun will tune the Comp S3s with full VCT range. I understand that he can make them idle like stock cams if you want and maintain low end torque. I think they would compliment the CJ intake nicely.

Thanks! Those are actually my default cam of choice. I just hate how they have around .040 lift less on the exhaust cam then my current cams. Id love to run a S3 intake cam and a CJ exhaust cam.

Last edited:

boduke0220

Established Member
Thanks! Those are actually my default cam of choice. I just hate how they have around .040 lift less on the exhaust cam then my current cams. Id love to run a S3 intake cam and a CJ exhaust cam.

Shaun was telling me Some coyote guys were having floating issues at 7500+. Don't think it would apply to you but looks like the nsr label isn't entirely true.

EJR

Established Member
The whole NSR thing is kinda lame. However... the roadrunner valvetrain shouldnt have an issue with it

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
If I had Boss heads, I'd probably get some custom grinds. I'm sort of leaning that way anyway. As far as springs, Trickflow's #1s or Livernois' drop ins are supposed to be good choices for high RPM NA builds and maintaining VCT. The Boss springs are a little better than the GT springs, but not by much. They may wear out with more aggressive cams over a little time.

However, the Boss springs should be a good fit for the Comps. Even though they are lower lift than the Boss cams, people are still gaining 50+ to the wheels and increasing operational range. They may be leaving a little on the table versus custom grinds, but the question is how much, and at what premium? The cost of custom grinds and a spring upgrade is going to push the price fairly high for what may be a minor gain. As you can tell, I'm very indecisive. Shaun shouldn't have any trouble steering you in the right direction.

EJR

Established Member
basically my main desire is to pull as much power out of the car with a set of cams I can keep full 50* tivct. And It MECHANICALLY never run into PTV issues. I dont want the tune to be what keeps my motor alive. I also want the stock idle. Nothing about a rough idle turns me on anymore. Im all about technology these days lol

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
basically my main desire is to pull as much power out of the car with a set of cams I can keep full 50* tivct. And It MECHANICALLY never run into PTV issues. I dont want the tune to be what keeps my motor alive. I also want the stock idle. Nothing about a rough idle turns me on anymore. Im all about technology these days lol

I'm in complete agreement with you about the non interference setup, I'll be approaching it in the same way. I love a lopey idle though.

Shaun@AED

The valve float issues we have seen is on GT's above 7800 and it's the exhaust side that kisses the piston. When the heads are pulled you could see where the exhaust valves barely kissed the pistons. With very narrow valvestems it does not take much to bend a valve and cause a problem.

Given the fact the Boss exhaust cams have more lift than the Comp Stage 3's, it's valve float that caused the issue. Could even be valve loft, it's hard to say without a test bench. And I find it hard to believe there's not a problem on the intake side as well as the intake valves are heavier. There must be more P2V clearance on the intake side, but I'd like measurements to be sure.

My opinion is the exhaust side does not need the extra lift. Exhaust is under pressure, it's all about valve timing off the seat. I've always liked N/A cams with aggressive intake lobes and lazier exhaust lobes. For instance, Comp Stage 3 intake and Cobra Jet exhaust cams. Of course nailing them down for maximum power would require a remote-tune session. The other issue is the quality of the Comp grinds vs OE....there's really no comparison IMO. We have had issues with Comp's cores and grinds.

If we knew who the OE cam manufacture was, we could likely get some very nice OE quality aftermarket grinds.

EJR

Established Member
The valve float issues we have seen is on GT's above 7800 and it's the exhaust side that kisses the piston. When the heads are pulled you could see where the exhaust valves barely kissed the pistons. With very narrow valvestems it does not take much to bend a valve and cause a problem.

Given the fact the Boss exhaust cams have more lift than the Comp Stage 3's, it's valve float that caused the issue. Could even be valve loft, it's hard to say without a test bench. And I find it hard to believe there's not a problem on the intake side as well as the intake valves are heavier. There must be more P2V clearance on the intake side, but I'd like measurements to be sure.

My opinion is the exhaust side does not need the extra lift. Exhaust is under pressure, it's all about valve timing off the seat. I've always liked N/A cams with aggressive intake lobes and lazier exhaust lobes. For instance, Comp Stage 3 intake and Cobra Jet exhaust cams. Of course nailing them down for maximum power would require a remote-tune session. The other issue is the quality of the Comp grinds vs OE....there's really no comparison IMO. We have had issues with Comp's cores and grinds.

If we knew who the OE cam manufacture was, we could likely get some very nice OE quality aftermarket grinds.

So you would have no issues tuning the Comp S3 intake and CJ exhaust cams? And I would have something like that remote tuned anyway

Shaun@AED

So you would have no issues tuning the Comp S3 intake and CJ exhaust cams? And I would have something like that remote tuned anyway

If we can do it at Rev Auto in Maryland I am 100% down....at no charge on my end. Just cover Rev Auto's time. He has the most experience with Coyote Cams of anyone I know.

EJR

Established Member
If we can do it at Rev Auto in Maryland I am 100% down....at no charge on my end. Just cover Rev Auto's time. He has the most experience with Coyote Cams of anyone I know.

That could definately be arranged. It wouldnt be till next season however. I am heading down to MD in may. Perhaps we could set something up to have you dial in my stock cams remotely. I feel like theres a solid 7-10hp above 7k rpm left in the TIVCT. Judging by the AFR/timing of the base tune, I dont see there being anything left in that part.

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

That could definately be arranged. It wouldnt be till next season however. I am heading down to MD in may. Perhaps we could set something up to have you dial in my stock cams remotely. I feel like theres a solid 7-10hp above 7k rpm left in the TIVCT. Judging by the AFR/timing of the base tune, I dont see there being anything left in that part.

Absolutely.

EJR

Established Member
Brads gonna check with Adam tomorrow to see if they can get me on the dyno for Wednesday May 14th

DSG2003SVT

Gray only, please
Established Member
I'm interested in the results of the Comp/CJ cams combo. Keep us posted on that please.

nosscort

Established Member
Adam is going to finish up a buddies tune for Shaun He said Adam is just going to charge him 1.5 2 hours of dyno rental to finish the tune for Shaun.. Adam and Shaun are awesome and now have both coast covered for tuning imop!

itSSlow98

Established Member
Brads gonna check with Adam tomorrow to see if they can get me on the dyno for Wednesday May 14th

So you'll be heading to ocean city afterwards for hot rod weekend huh. Sounds like a great week for you I'll def see you down there.

Users who are viewing this thread