2012 focus transmission chatter under acceleration....

Rct851

Established Member
I've read enough to know this will lead to failure because of the little gasket thing that is failing and leading to fluid getting on the clutch plates. Why is ford giving us shit about warranting this?

abiut to bring all 5 ford vehicles in my control to the same dealer for oil changes and massacre the survey on every one

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
How many miles are on the car? I haven't heard of anyone having an issue with warrantying the transmission.

Rct851

Established Member
How many miles are on the car? I haven't heard of anyone having an issue with warrantying the transmission.

65k. Transmission does need to be replaced just a little rubber circle piece that keeps fluid out and I think the little donut Looking thing that has the clutch in it. As I understand even though the car is automatic the transmission is based of a manual design with an automatic shifter

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Ford extended the warranty on the input shaft seal, so you shouldn't have any issues. Pulled this off another forum.

14M01 - TRANSMISSION CLUTCH SHUDDER / TRANSMISSION INPUT SHAFT SEAL WARRANTY EXTENSION

This applies to 2012-2014 Ford Focus equipped with the DPS6 transmission built at the Michigan plant between August 1, 2010 and June 15, 2013

* Ford is extending the warranty (fully transferable) on the DPS6 transmission input shaft seal, clutch assembly, and firmware updates to 7 years/100,000 miles. This takes effect after expiration of your 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty.

* If you already have more than 100,000 miles on your car, they are still extending your warranty until January 31, 2015.

* There is a whole new clutch coming out: Revision "F" The clutch is still made by Luk.

* There is a new input shaft seal, part number identifier changes from C to D.

* As of July 21, there is an all new software flash.

* Here is the really good news (according to Brian) If you paid out of pocket for repairs on your DPS6 transmission input shaft seal or clutch assembly because your car was already out of warranty, Ford is going to reimburse you.

* There is a new technical service bulletin released for the DPS6 transmission: TSB 14-0131

* Ford will be sending owners a letter with details.

Enter your VIN number here for info: (Click the Vehicle tab)
http://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegS...15209.fcvas503

SHOdown220

Established Member
Don't know the back story to this but as already stated those parts are under extended warranty. Now since the dealer can't tell you how those surveys you want to blast them on work, I will. You aren't hurting anyone but the advisor that has 0 control over what ford wants to cover or not cover. How would you feel if I took food off your table from your family because of something your corporate HQ made a call on?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Don't know the back story to this but as already stated those parts are under extended warranty. Now since the dealer can't tell you how those surveys you want to blast them on work, I will. You aren't hurting anyone but the advisor that has 0 control over what ford wants to cover or not cover. How would you feel if I took food off your table from your family because of something your corporate HQ made a call on?

I'm not disagreeing with the service adviser part, but I doubt Ford is the one denying the warranty. They are even reimbursing those who paid out of pocket before they added the extended warranty.

matthayn

COBRO TO 5.BRO
Established Member
If the seal is truly leaking it should no doubt get replaced. If you have the shudder and the seal is not leaking, most likely the PCM and TCM will get updated with the latest calibrations.

Those surveys that you slaughter will directly affect someone's pay I guarantee it... Ours do. You can go that route but it most likely won't change anything.

Rct851

Established Member
Thanks for the input. I know how the surveys work, if it's the leverage I need and the dealership won't cover something IF INDEED BY THE LETTER OF THE WARRANTY SHOULD, I will at least threaten with it to try and gain leverage.

The service advisor is my direct link representing Ford. He or she will have incentive to be another voice.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
There is a Ford Rep on this site as well. Can't remember the username off the top of my head, but they seem to have been able to help many members over the years when the dealership wouldn't.

DaBigBone

Established Member
Good luck. Get in line. There are thousands of cars with this issue. One of the Focus Forums has a topic that's over 150 pages on it. Mine is one of the victims. Mine went to the dealer on January 29th and I'm STILL waiting on parts. Still shuddering like crazy almost daily.

Checked with a few other dealers and they said they're just now getting parts in for cars that came in around Thanksgiving so I imagine I've still got another month or two wait on mine.

NinjaBum

Established Member
I had the TCM replaced in mine. Wasn't letting the car start most of the time even in park.

My transmission does have some chattering when getting under way. Sounds like someone is dragging a plastic sled on some concrete a block or two away. Not a very loud noise but that's the best description I can give.

bdcardinal

I Spend car money on guns
Established Member
Premium Member
The clutch assemblies usually ship 8-12 weeks after ordering, if we order Emergency. The parts assistance center that we can use to help expedite parts for customer came out with a bulletin saying they can't help with clutches anymore. To give you an idea, we ordered about 200-250 in November and received 7 in April from that order. Then the Ford Customer Service people call us asking why we did not take more steps to order for a customer. The times they called me I had to visit the principal's office because I unloaded on the person.

Users who are viewing this thread