2012 GT/CS vs 2004 E46 M3

Jordang

Established Member
Hey guys first kill in the new car. I am Canadian so winter means slumber time for sports cars.

But this year we have had 2-3 weeks of warm weather meaning the roads were clean. So one night I took my 2012 GT out for a rip. First off 3.73 gears are the perfect gear for the 5.0 M6 cars has amazing pull and great low end.

So as I am cruising down the highway I pull up next to a BMW M3 same story by the looks of it young guy taking his car out for a brief cruise. I get up along side we exchanged looks and he pointed forward as in "want to run them?"

So I dropped it down from 6th to 4th we are doing about 100km and punch it. No contest not even the same league. I pulled away quite quickly from him, not a fan of roll races but the 5.0 4v DOHC TiVCT motor makes so much power throughout the rev range I could have pulled in 5th gear.

He followed me and I stopped at Tim Hortons to get a coffee and we talked and he looked over the car asked to sit in it popped the hood. He was impressed with the build quality as he told me he had a 2003 GT prior to the M3 and these new cars are light years ahead.

We talked some more and he told me that if it was not for the solid axle in the rear as he tracks his car he would love to get a Mustang. I told him that the new Mustangs handle better than the out going BOSS 302 cars and are all IRS cars.

Apparently he is now going to look into trading up :thumbsup:

That being said when I stopped pulling at the top end of our little run, I looked down and was doing 220km/h or 136ish miles per hour. I have never driven on a public highway that fast before but man these cars area rush.

Jordang

Established Member
good kill, but why 4th gear at 100km/hr?

Well I bought the car mid November so I only put on a total of 10 kilometers maybe on it so I have no seat time :cryying:

That and its my first 6 speed equipped car and the ratios are a bit different then a 5 speed.

That being said 4th gear at 100km I was right around 4k rpm so the engine was happy to play.

Rios302

Established Member
Against an M3 E46 there is really no comparison. I am with you on the 3.73s. I have beaten a stock 5.0 like mine with only 3.73s being the difference. I was ahead of him about a car and a half from freeway rolls. After the first race the other guy was even making hand sings to make sure I too was starting in 3rd gear which I was. We race three times and same result both times. I have only race an E46 once and no comparison at all. I am never the one asking to race but if someone wants to give it a go. I am not sure at which point do 3.73s slow you down but so far with just a tune and axle backs my car is still pulling ahead of cars with more mods than mine.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Against an M3 E46 there is really no comparison. I am with you on the 3.73s. I have beaten a stock 5.0 like mine with only 3.73s being the difference. I was ahead of him about a car and a half from freeway rolls. After the first race the other guy was even making hand sings to make sure I too was starting in 3rd gear which I was. We race three times and same result both times. I have only race an E46 once and no comparison at all. I am never the one asking to race but if someone wants to give it a go. I am not sure at which point do 3.73s slow you down but so far with just a tune and axle backs my car is still pulling ahead of cars with more mods than mine.
What MPH did you race to? 3.73 is good for 1/4 mile racing just like 4.10s are. I find it hard to believe you beat another 5.0 that had 3.31 on a freeway roll.

If you are ever in the bay PM me and we can run them, I'm stock powerwise with exception of gt500 axleback, GC coilovers (lowered), and wheel/tires 19F/20R.

Users who are viewing this thread