2012 GT500 is it worth it?

nickf2005

Established Member
End of the day, buying, selling, and trading cars is not a game you're going to win at long-term as a private party. Buy what you want without putting yourself and your family in a bad financial situation.

lkempf

Established Member
$42k seems a little high, but not crazy for a car with that low of miles. I would try and sell your GT yourself and then go from there. I agree with what others have said in that GT500's are expensive, but there is just something special about owning one. You will never look back and regret owning one. They hold their value better and in my opinion they are king of the street for cars under $75,000.

merkyworks

Established Member
GT500 already has a fully forged engine, they will hold value much better than a GT will and the exclusivity of owning a Shelby (these cars are head turners).

If all you care about is going fast and that is it then yes the amount of money you spend to get a GT500 you could make a GT much faster. Build list would be fully built engine, super charger, tremec magnum xl, 3.73 gears, you already have suspensions, if you care about interior then that also. That GT would be faster than a stock GT500 but with basic bolt on parts the GT500 is faster. If you ever sell the the GT good luck getting any return on all the work and parts you have in it. The GT500 on the other hand has bolt on's so simply swap the stock parts back on and return to stock for an easy sell and more value. Think about how the 03/04 Cobras are still so highly sought after, are 03/04 GT sought after this much?

I wanted a 13/14 GT500 but the finances just weren't there so I had to "settle" :rollseyes for a 12, in the end only buy/spend what you can afford.

Also if you are having a hard time finding options to choose from take a look at Carmax, took a look and they have 20+ GT500's right now with a wide range in price and miles.

Last edited:

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Ive put 12k on my GT500, total miles around 27k right now. More runs down the track than i can count (too much damn fun) and she runs like a swiss watch. I had issues with the engine when I first got it. Turned out prior owner forgot a spacer when reinstalling stock lower pulley. Rebuilt trans due to grinding, 3rd set of gears. 5k in out of pocket damage from an on track incident with a GT-R. Stock blower, to trinity the back to stock.

After all that, plus how much I put down, I would not even hesitate for a single red second getting my Shelby and selling my 2014 GT I bought new if i had to do it over. Something about this car that, at the end of the day, is nothing short of special.

There is just a soul to these cars that cant be described. Yes, faster cars may wear the Shelby badge as the years go on, but every one of them will carry this feeling. Choice is yours.

Last edited:

MattR

Established Member
If you like red check out the market, my 11 is listed with every bolt on mod this site recommended. Without the tires and wheels I would sell it for what your spending on the stock one.

LEADfoot927

Established Member
2013-2014s were going for $55k + when I got my 2011 SVTPP with 15k miles for $38k, so I was forced to "settle". However with a few bolt ons you can close the gap between a bit 2011-12 and the 2013-14. With a pulley, tune, h/e and drag radials I was able to run even with a 2013 at the track. He ran a 12.2 and I ran a 12.3. Im just under 540whp. Of course the 2013 can do the same mods and it would be game over, but you get the point.

Nulltime

Established Member
Just snagged a 2012 with 9400 miles on it for $35800

Had to back off the color but it grew on me pretty quick. Gave me nice room for a couple small mods and some paint protective goodies! (Daily Driver and Black ;p)

Next year come the power adders!

Users who are viewing this thread