2012 Mustang GT, 93 octane, total timing question

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
Kinda simple, just questioning if I may have fueled up with some poor quality fuel in my last fill. The car, 2012 Mustang GT, full exhaust (no cats), cold air intake and a tune.

What type of total timing do these engines see with quality 93 octane typically? For some reason I was thinking that 25-26 degrees seems about right but it looks like near the top of the pull there is some knock activity so it starts to pull a little and I'm only seeing about 21-22 approaching 6k RPM. I have attached a log, it's a 3rd and 4th gear pull. Starts at 2.7 sec and ends at 7.7 sec.

Thanks

View attachment log0001.csv.zip

15PSI

Established Member
This is not an apple to apple comparison: My 2012 with a Stage 3 blower, pulling 1.6-1.7 Load (VE) shows 16-17 with the KS adding 1, sometimes 2 more degrees during a hard pull. The total KS advance is limited to 2 degrees in the calibration, so am not sure if they would add more than the 1-2 I normally see in the log. I only run 93 in the car. I will sometimes add some timing to the tune before I race, but I also add some Torco to the tank.

Last edited:

Carbd86GT

You're Gator Bait
Established Member
This is not an apple to apple comparison: My 2012 with a Stage 3 blower, pulling 1.6-1.7 Load (VE) shows 16-17 with the KS adding 1, sometimes 2 more degrees during a hard pull. The total KS advance is limited to 2 degrees in the calibration, so am not sure if they would add more than the 1-2 I normally see in the log. I only run 93 in the car. I will sometimes add some timing to the tune before I race, but I also add some Torco to the tank.

Thanks. I figured out my issue, was indeed a bad tank of fuel. Switched stations and it's making some power now. :)

15PSI

Established Member
I am the tuner. I have used SCT and nowadays I am using HPTuners VCM Suite. I have raised the total timing to 20-21* at .8 Lambda. I have been adding a quart of Torco to a tank of 93 octane, which raises it to around 98-100 octane; so I can run more timing than I would normally use with straight 93. I run a 79mm pulley on a stock block which is borderline safe. The car has around 660 RWHP with the additional timing.

Users who are viewing this thread