2012 mustang gt brake squeal

Eric M Burgess

Hey guys, this is my first post of course.

I am currently very frustrated with my brakes and i cant find a solution. Problem: when going 10 to like 45 mph. The brakes chirp so bad and it seems to be coming fron pass rear. It is not intermittent and it always does it warm or cold

So far i have done these:
R1 concept drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pada all around.

Chirp came back after like 100 miles.

Sanded rear pads down with high grit paper and applied bg stop squeal to the pada and let dry. Squeal came back after 50 miles.

I have been googlinf the crap out of this and i cant find a solution. Please help

Gruca

Established Member
Not very helpful, but my shitty PowerStop setup does the exact same thing on the driver's side front...

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
Rear pads are dirt cheap and easy to install. I'd try a new set of pads. And don't overthink it either, the rear brakes aren't doing much work, the fronts are doing the majority of stopping effort. OEM quality pads will be more than enough, unless you're actually racing.

Eric M Burgess

hey guys, thank you for the fast replies. i am actually a technician which makes it a great help for this. The problem is that I have tried everything I could think to resolve this. I have spun the rotors on the lathe and they were pretty straight. I checked for lubricant on the pins twice and just relubed them to be safe. I have actually swapped the pads from the right to the left and visa vers and the brakes still only squeak on the passenger rear. I don't think its the rotor since its true. I even tried switching the rotors. I feel its the e brake but I have adjusted the e brake handle. is there another way to do it? I have never actually seen the rear calipers that my mustang has.

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
When is it making noise? Does the noise happen ONLY when applying brakes?

Have you checked caliper mounting bracket to ensure that it is not (for some reason) contacting the rotor?

I recently bought a 2010 Roush Mustang and someone had monkeyed with the rear brakes (I'm guessing when they installed Moser axles) and somehow they installed one caliper on CROOKED! It wore the pad quickly and the pad was grinding away on the rotor when I got the car. I've been working on cars for over 40 years (I owned two service stations and did thousands of brake jobs) and I NEVER saw anything like that, haha. I didn't even know it was possible, LOL.

My point is: don't take anything for granted. Start looking closely at everything. Keep us posted, and good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread