2013/14 F150 EcoBoost R&D progress:

Shaun@AED

Dyno sessions have finally concluded and I can post some data on what we've been working on with the EcoBoost F150's:
(over 400 dyno runs to date) It took far longer than anticipated.

Below is a screen show of the Stock Tune showing RPM, Boost, and Measured Air fuel.
You can see the boost spike of 229KPA (100KPA = 0 boost, 200KPA = 14.6lbs) along with the severely retarded ignition timing and fairly lean air fuel for the boost (IMO). Boost then drops off to a nice low octane friendly level of 185-190KPA.
2013F150StockTune_zpsb83abbe8.gif

Below is a screen shot of the AED tune I've been working on. The goal was to remove the boost spike, richen fueling on the 'hit' (which would yield a safer tune) and at the same time allow more ignition timing without knock activity for a true Premium fuel tune.
In this tune Boost peaks at 224KPA @4900RPM, then drops to 214KPA @6500RPM.
*Note boost on tip-in is reduced, fueling is enriched, and ignition spark has increased nominally.*
2013F150AEDTune_zps5e8603d6.gif

The difference in power output can be seen here:
Power curve on the 91 octane AED tune VS Stock tune:
*Note the 86HP gain at 6000RPM*
photo_zps39022867.jpg

Next step is Drag strip verification and likely some transmission tweaking.

Willie2

Established Member
Premium Member
I like where you are going with this. nice job, keep it up!

mechanicboy

Established Member
You planning on running more boost than that for a race tune?

BTW, My truck has a new best of 11.87@116 with new tires and the bap!

Troponin

Established Member
*Edit* NVM, I am an idiot. I totally read that wrong. lol

Very nice work. I have been considering an F150 Ecoboost for my next truck, but might not be for a while.

Last edited:

hi-rev

ScreaminCoyote
Established Member
im wanting a mail order tune for my 5.0 truck, i know you dont like to but i am two states away, and i have the same set up as another truck you sent a mail order tune too

Shaun@AED

Thanks guys. I was at the track last week but was randomly logging knock on launch, which turned out to be the leaf spring hitting the aftermarket exhaust on launch. I have corrected that, but not yet tested to see if it worked.

I need to get back out to the track and do back to back runs tuned vs stock. Since my truck is a heavy pig and I have NO PLANS on setting any records with super aggressive tunes, I think the best way to get accurate data is to run Tuned vs Stock on the same night.

The goal with my F150 EcoBoost tunes is for the driver to say 'This is how Ford should have had the truck leave the factory'. Not overly aggressive, no special tow tune needed, etc. The only requirement is premium grade fuel.

blownfox

Established Member
Will you only be offering a tune for the F150 ecoboost? Maybe an explorer sport tune?

luv2drum1

Established Member
Thanks guys. I was at the track last week but was randomly logging knock on launch, which turned out to be the leaf spring hitting the aftermarket exhaust on launch. I have corrected that, but not yet tested to see if it worked.

I need to get back out to the track and do back to back runs tuned vs stock. Since my truck is a heavy pig and I have NO PLANS on setting any records with super aggressive tunes, I think the best way to get accurate data is to run Tuned vs Stock on the same night.

The goal with my F150 EcoBoost tunes is for the driver to say 'This is how Ford should have had the truck leave the factory'. Not overly aggressive, no special tow tune needed, etc. The only requirement is premium grade fuel.

Shaun, is your truck 4wd or 2wd? I am curious what your 60ft times were and if you were running the stock tires or drag radials?

I found out this past Saturday that these F150 Ecoboost's are tough to launch off the line without getting some wheel spin. My truck is 2wd, so I may have to invest into some drag radials if I want to obtain a respectable 60ft (1.8 - 1.9). I think what adds to the problem is that boost spike you were referring to in your first post. The boost comes on so quickly when launching it makes it very difficult to maintain traction. I was having to roll into the throttle to prevent wheel spin.

I have always been a fan of launching off idle in order to flash the converter. The way you have your tune set up seems like it would help maintain traction off the line.

Shaun@AED

Will you only be offering a tune for the F150 ecoboost? Maybe an explorer sport tune?

The wife has an explorer 3.5L all motor as I was not planning on doing the Explorer R&D, but a tuner buddy of mine has a 2013 Explorer Sport and has a very nice calibration for it. PM me if you want details on how to contact him.

Shaun, is your truck 4wd or 2wd? I am curious what your 60ft times were and if you were running the stock tires or drag radials?

I found out this past Saturday that these F150 Ecoboost's are tough to launch off the line without getting some wheel spin. My truck is 2wd, so I may have to invest into some drag radials if I want to obtain a respectable 60ft (1.8 - 1.9). I think what adds to the problem is that boost spike you were referring to in your first post. The boost comes on so quickly when launching it makes it very difficult to maintain traction. I was having to roll into the throttle to prevent wheel spin.

I have always been a fan of launching off idle in order to flash the converter. The way you have your tune set up seems like it would help maintain traction off the line.

I have a 4WD SCrew loaded with all the options on stock 20's with stock tires with a leveling kit.
60's the other night were 2.0's consistently in 4WD spooling to 3Kish at the light. Previous best is a 1.95 60ft. Not going to set the world on fire as my truck is no light weight. I've got at least 250lbs of added weight from stock. It will spin all 4 wheels on launch at times.

luv2drum1

Established Member
I have a 4WD SCrew loaded with all the options on stock 20's with stock tires with a leveling kit.
60's the other night were 2.0's consistently in 4WD spooling to 3Kish at the light. Previous best is a 1.95 60ft. Not going to set the world on fire as my truck is no light weight. I've got at least 250lbs of added weight from stock. It will spin all 4 wheels on launch at times.

Copy that. Looks like I am going to have to invest in some decent drag wheels (Racestars or Centerlines) and drag radials to pull off some decent 60ft's. Thanks for the reply.

Shaun@AED

Copy that. Looks like I am going to have to invest in some decent drag wheels (Racestars or Centerlines) and drag radials to pull off some decent 60ft's. Thanks for the reply.

And likely traction bars as wheel hop is an issue.

hi-rev

ScreaminCoyote
Established Member
Hey Shawn are you doing tunes for the 5.0 f-150s if so I would like to get a tune from you as I here nothing but good things about your from the mustang guys and also some of the f-150 guys with blown and non blown trucks

Shaun@AED

Hey Shawn are you doing tunes for the 5.0 f-150s if so I would like to get a tune from you as I here nothing but good things about your from the mustang guys and also some of the f-150 guys with blown and non blown trucks

I have done a few, but I've found there is not much left in a stock truck. With modifications like a blower, or GT intake cams and exhaust we do see excellent gains.

mechanicboy

Established Member
Very nice work. I see where you're going with these tunes because the way the stock eco acts at WOT is a large part of why I didn't buy one.

I have two questions though (only partially related):

1. With the GT intake cams, are you seeing loss or torque on the low end?
2. I assume you will be out this sunday? I plan to bring my truck out. I'm also sending you a PM.

hi-rev

ScreaminCoyote
Established Member
I will be doing the gt cams in a few weeks, as I sit right now I am running a boss 302 intake manifold with a custom 4 inch cold air intake with steeda 95mm mas air flow housing and filter, 84.5 accufab throttle body, stainless works long tube headers and 3 inch dual in/dual out x-piped muffler with cat deletes, a Yukon dura grip diff with 4:10 gears, I would hope that with this and your tunes my truck can get to the low 13s maybe high 12, I have a regular cab 5.0

luv2drum1

Established Member

Hey Shaun,

Any updates in regards to the track results or possibly an ETA on a finalized calibration for the F150 ecoboost? Inquiring Minds want to know... lol.

Users who are viewing this thread