2013 5.0 Engine click\tick any updates?

Robb03

Established Member
I have my 2013 5.0 at Ford right now evaluating an irregular engine tick heard at idle, but louder under acceleration from a stop. It increases with the engine revs, but is at irregular intervals. It sounds kinda like a BBQ gas igniter. Has anyone successfully had this fixed by ford? They looked at a 5.0 on their used lot, and it makes the same noise too! This isn't normal, but it sounds like many may have this issue. Can anyone provide anything I can give the dealership that may help address this issue??

Thank you so much!

SC_Terminator

Used to own a Boss
Established Member
mine has the tick, and so does my buddy's......The dealer told me this was normal valve train noise....we will see if it gets worse....so far it is still the same as about a week after I bought it....

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I would be inclined to agree with the above...this is my 3rd DOHC powered car and they have always had some noise. My 2014 does it once the engine has reached operating temp, its not bad, but it is definitely there. Nothing compared to the racket my 03 cobra made, ended up have both cylinder heads replaced to be rid of that issue. My boss has an 09 GT500 and it has very noticeable tick once the car has warmed/been driven as well.

Monster5.0

5.0>Terminator
Established Member
Constant injector ticking is normal, but the loud intermitten ticks/knocks are not.

Robb03

Established Member
This is way louder under load then the engine tick my 03 had that caused them to redo the head design. I bet ford will need to do a TSB eventually. They changed the pistons in 13 and elimated the oil jets....they say it is normal but I bet it won't be after a while.

redline5.0

Established Member
I have my 2013 5.0 at Ford right now evaluating an irregular engine tick heard at idle, but louder under acceleration from a stop. It increases with the engine revs, but is at irregular intervals. It sounds kinda like a BBQ gas igniter. Has anyone successfully had this fixed by ford? They looked at a 5.0 on their used lot, and it makes the same noise too! This isn't normal, but it sounds like many may have this issue. Can anyone provide anything I can give the dealership that may help address this issue??

Thank you so much!

My 2013 got dropped of at the dealer as well for engine tick issues. Doesn't do it when cold but once the oil is up the operating temp it ticks pretty loud. It very seldom does it at idle but when there is a load and you start driving it its audible. Ford dealer told me it was normal then it threw 4 codes, p0012. p022, p052b, and p052d. All relating to timing/vct issues. Hope they figure it out because it just keeps getting louder.

How many miles on your car and when did it start? It took about a week of driving with ticks before I got any codes.

Last edited:

Robb03

Established Member
Mine does exactly that, only when warmed and louder under load. No codes yet that I am aware of. I will have them scan the ecu. It has been doing this for nearly a month.
How did they fix yours?

Cobra 2997

Established Member
My '12 Boss 302 ticks once it's warmed up. It started after the 1st oil change.
Same thing happened on my GT500, ticking started after 1st oil change.

We also have a '14 GT & a '13 F150, and I'll be waiting several thousand miles before I change the oil. Neither of them are ticking currently.

Robb03

Established Member
My '12 Boss 302 ticks once it's warmed up. It started after the 1st oil change.
Same thing happened on my GT500, ticking started after 1st oil change.

We also have a '14 GT & a '13 F150, and I'll be waiting several thousand miles before I change the oil. Neither of them are ticking currently.

Same irregular tick as I decribe? Guess it may just be a ford modular engine thing after all if all three different engines do it.....

redline5.0

Established Member
Mine does exactly that, only when warmed and louder under load. No codes yet that I am aware of. I will have them scan the ecu. It has been doing this for nearly a month.
How did they fix yours?

I just dropped it off this morning. They said it was normal untill it threw codes. Mine also when warmed up if you watched real close on the tach the idle would surge about 100-150 rpm. Also first thing in the morning on cold start ups I would get about a 5 second camp lope like the timing is going wtf are we supposed to do. Its for sure something under the timing cover, could be something as simple as the vct solenoids. They tried to pull the stretchy belt issue on me :nonono:

Robb03

Established Member
I just dropped it off this morning. They said it was normal untill it threw codes. Mine also when warmed up if you watched real close on the tach the idle would surge about 100-150 rpm. Also first thing in the morning on cold start ups I would get about a 5 second camp lope like the timing is going wtf are we supposed to do. Its for sure something under the timing cover, could be something as simple as the vct solenoids. They tried to pull the stretchy belt issue on me :nonono:

Good info. Let me know what they do! Thanks.

03SonicBlueGT

Hear Me?!
Established Member
My '03 Mach 1 did it quite a bit. Ran the car like it should be, and didn't have any issues. My '13 has only had the oil changed once. No noises yet!

Users who are viewing this thread