2013 base wheel issue

TT91Coupe

Established Member
I haven't but I will check tomorrow. I just rubbed a curb (rash) slightly on one so I may be buying new rims.:mj:

Live Faster

Need for SPEED!!!
Established Member
I just checked my base wheels that are sitting in the shed right now and I do not show any of the markings that OP has. Bad batch maybe?

TT91Coupe

Established Member
It may just be a bad batch, Im going check with another buddy that has base wheels to see if he has the cracks as well.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse

That for sure. Totally agree

Wheels.jpg

LEXiiON

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I had my wheels powdercoated and they are having the same issue. This was actually brought up not long ago in another thread and someone posted a link explaining the issue was the wheels were not thoroughly baked and if they were tossed back in the oven, they could be fixed. I'll see if I can dig that back up and post the link.

TT91Coupe

Established Member
I think we got a set of wheels from the BAD batch, I just got off the phone with my friend and his base wheels are fine. Your car is NICE!!! Love it.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
I think we got a set of wheels from the BAD batch, I just got off the phone with my friend and his base wheels are fine. Your car is NICE!!! Love it.

Well, when I build my engine, I will probably have them recoated. Seems like we have a bad batch.

Thanks... There is a lot of work in this car... but I enjoy doing it... Love it, too...

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I need a set of these base whells too... Good for snow tires.

If you're serious, Ford Racing sells the base wheels in black and only in 19x9.5" with a Ford Racing caps.
Best looking SVT in a while, I put it up there with the original '95 Cobra R and '03-04 Termi wheels as my favorites.

I like them so much I run base 20s all around, widened in the rear, in the original PP finish. It was a helluva effort and I love the results.

As far as the finish, sadly it can't be replicated but I'll be touching base with the OEM coasters this month to see if the components of the process can be released for order.
Interestingly, the only difference between the base and PP finish is that the PP finish gets 2 extra coats of the dark paint layer.
Anyone interested can search in this forum, on my wife's ipad or I'd post links.
Hopefully you guys can get them fixed, but I'd probably be thinking about polishing or custom powdercoating to your choice, those don't look salvageable easily regarding the original finish.
-J

Norton

Long-time SVT Enthusiast
Established Member
This was actually brought up not long ago in another thread and someone posted a link explaining the issue was the wheels were not thoroughly baked and if they were tossed back in the oven, they could be fixed. I'll see if I can dig that back up and post the link.
Are you thinking of Cman01's caliper powder coating thread in which black92 mentions he had a similar problem with his powder coated wheels?

TT91Coupe

Established Member
LEXiiON, It is funny too me, it seems as though many of the Shelby owner share similar plans as far as building the engine better, stronger, faster que Six Million Dollar Man Music...
I opened a ticket today with Ford about the wheels. I will go through the process and await them to tell me to pound sand!!!! lol.

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
LEXiiON, It is funny too me, it seems as though many of the Shelby owner share similar plans as far as building the engine better, stronger, faster que Six Million Dollar Man Music...
I opened a ticket today with Ford about the wheels. I will go through the process and await them to tell me to pound sand!!!! lol.

Keep me posted what Ford says...

Oh and the engine build. It is completely different than what you are thinking about :burnout:
I will start a thread, once I am ready to start...

LEXiiON

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm all about that base (sorry had to, too easy):
base20a_zps3bc20e42.jpg

basePP2_zpsdf18105d.jpg

basePP5_zps3b7dd73d.jpg

brondes1_zpsa91e38e4.jpg

brondes3_zps43a83858.jpg

Be advised if they offer to refinish any of them, I'd highly recommend they do all 4 together or they will never match.
-J

LEXiiON

Poser !!!!!!!!
Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Party Liquor Posse
Anybody had success contacting Helioscoating? I will give it a try to see what they can tell me about the crazing.... I will let you know.

biminiLX said:
As far as the finish, sadly it can't be replicated but I'll be touching base with the OEM coasters this month to see if the components of the process can be released for order.
Interestingly, the only difference between the base and PP finish is that the PP finish gets 2 extra coats of the dark paint layer.
Anyone interested can search in this forum, on my wife's ipad or I'd post links.
Hopefully you guys can get them fixed, but I'd probably be thinking about polishing or custom powdercoating to your choice, those don't look salvageable easily regarding the original finish.
-J

Please update us..

Thanks,

LEXiiON

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Anybody had success contacting Helioscoating? I will give it a try to see what they can tell me about the crazing.... I will let you know.

Please update us..

Thanks,

LEXiiON

Helios does not work with individuals only at OEM level, however I got lucky that they are semi-local to me.

You may get to speak to someone, but its not easy.

I would start with Ford and see what they say.
Can you post better pics?
Is 'crazing' the right word?
-J

Users who are viewing this thread