2013 Battery replacement.

greenscobie86

Established Member
The factory Motorcraft 96R battery finally shit the bed on my car while being parked over the winter.
Should I stick with another Motorcraft piece or is there anything better out there as far as value/performance?

Thanks in advance

Brutal Metal

Established Member
FYI all the retailers jacked the price of the 96R up to $180, I just replaced mine with an EverStart for $99. It's been Good in my Cobra so I got another..

greenscobie86

Established Member
thats what i figured, Even VatoZone want almost $180 for a Duralast battery. I guess off to Walmart I go! Thanks for the input.

sono

Established Member
I just spent a fortune on a new wiring harness and custom battery tray to get out of those ford batteries. Went through 2 with broken posts, acid everywhere. Save yourself some money and get a solid gel!

vortecd

Established Member
almost 5 years to the day I bought my '13 the battery went last August. Drove to work fine and went to leave it was dead. Went to walmart for a new one.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
thats what i figured, Even VatoZone want almost $180 for a Duralast battery. I guess off to Walmart I go! Thanks for the input.
Yup Advance,Auto Zone, O'Reilly's etc.. all jacked their battery prices up pretty significantly in the last year. Wal-Mart probably will do the same soon...

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I needed a battery for my F150 a few months ago. I too was shocked - and pissed - when I saw what batteries cost these days. Local Wal-Marts had cheaper batteries but when I read reviews for their brand people had lots of bad things to say and my battery was out of stock. AutoZone was more than Wal-Mart but less than Advance Auto, but reviews of their brand were horrible. I ended up going to Advance Auto - reviews were excellent and they had an online 25% off coupon. That saved me $40.

So my point is all batteries aren’t created equal. When they cost only $40 I didn’t care if it lasted 2 or 3 years. But for $140 it damn well better last 5-7 years.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
I was treated to a completely dead battery as well yesterday. After reading this thread I decided to wake my car up from hibernation and when I opened the door I knew I was in trouble when the interior lights did'nt come on. Normally I always put my car on a trickle charger but I totally forgot about it this year.

I checked it with a volt meter and it only had 2 volts. I currently have it on a trickle charger trying to bring it back to life. Hopefully it doesnt have to be replaced, time will tell.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I brought my ‘14 home from storage today. It had been there since early November. I started it a whopping 3 times during the winter. Well today it was dead. I put it on a charger for about 5 minutes and she fired right up and drove her home.

It was 50 and sunny here today but the tires sure didn’t like the chilly road. With the great throttle response from the AED tune and traction control off the tires were breaking loose with ease.

fuelforfire87

Established Member
Does it matter whether or not you disconnect the negative battery terminal when storing the car? I saw it was recommended in the ford manual so I did it and my battery seems to be good so far (2014 gt) purchased in august of 2013.

bunits19714

Established Member
I was treated to a completely dead battery as well yesterday. After reading this thread I decided to wake my car up from hibernation and when I opened the door I knew I was in trouble when the interior lights did'nt come on. Normally I always put my car on a trickle charger but I totally forgot about it this year.

I checked it with a volt meter and it only had 2 volts. I currently have it on a trickle charger trying to bring it back to life. Hopefully it doesnt have to be replaced, time will tell.
Are you still on the original battery? if so you got more life than most- I lost my last august it had 12k miles on it and was right at 47 months old.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Are you still on the original battery? if so you got more life than most- I lost my last august it had 12k miles on it and was right at 47 months old.
Still OE battery, car has a build date of 10/12. I guess it helps the car only has 9600 miles on it. I charged it yesterday and the car fired right up today with no issues.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Does it matter whether or not you disconnect the negative battery terminal when storing the car? I saw it was recommended in the ford manual so I did it and my battery seems to be good so far (2014 gt) purchased in august of 2013.
I leave the negative post on and remove the positive in my stored garage car.

vortecd

Established Member
When storing my car in the winter I take the battery out and bring it in the house. Cold kills batteries.

greenscobie86

Established Member
My car has around 20k and is a 2013 with a late 2012 build date, I guess I let it run down fully or something. 2017 NYC winter has been all over the place so I should have started it every once in a while I suppose. The little eye was a solid red even after I charged it up with my SLI charger FWIW. Car did start fine after I left it on a 2A trickle charge for 3 days, but I opted to replace the battery anyhow since I need the car for a long trip this week, also this gave me an excuse to clean out the leaves and crap which were collected in the battery tray haha.

Since I needed the car this weekend I ended up picking up a Motorcraft 500CCA 96R battery For $100. 90A lower than the old battery but I needed one ASAP so got it through a buddys shop. 18 month free replacement and 84 month prorated cost. Hopefully this one lasts longer, and I'll definitely take it inside the house for the winter to get more life out of it.

Thanks for all the tips and replies!

Users who are viewing this thread