2013 Cam Upgrade

- Aj -

Established Member
Anyone change the rockers too? M-6529-msvt I see on American Muscle. Needed? What other parts will I need besides gaskets? Thanks all

Bad Company

Established Member
Anyone change the rockers too? M-6529-msvt I see on American Muscle. Needed? What other parts will I need besides gaskets? Thanks all

Those are the same rocker arms in your engine now. As long as there is no wear on your current rollers you don't need to change them. If for piece of mind you want to run new rockers against the new cams. I believe I have a new complete set here that I will sell reasonably. I decided to go with Jesel rockers after I'd bought these

- Aj -

Established Member
Awesome. Thanks for the quick response. Any other parts I might need?

Bad Company

Established Member
Awesome. Thanks for the quick response. Any other parts I might need?
That would depend on the camshafts you are using. The JDM Engineering SS cam requires a valve spring change. This can be done with the heads still on t he engine with the proper tools. If you are upgrading to a cam that can retain the stock valve springs then you don't need any other parts.

You need a mechanic that understands exactly how this job is performed and that each cam bearing tower needs to be returned to the same exact position and orientation that it came from. He also needs to have the proper torque sequence for the cam bearing towers. If this isn't followed exactly, major engine damage can ensue afterwards

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I decided to go with Jesel rockers after I'd bought these

What kind of a deal did you find on your Jesel roller rockers?

28slr2v1_zps621ay38n.jpg

^^^^Not that adding a fully rollerized cam follower/rocker is going to give big hp gains, but I have always liked the idea of the tip rolling at the valve stem end instead of a sliding/pushing motion. <<<But, fully roller rockers are not cheap. I think someone else beside Jezel also offers them for the Ford mod. motors, but I don't remember who it is?

R

Bad Company

Established Member
What kind of a deal did you find on your Jesel roller rockers?

28slr2v1_zps621ay38n.jpg

^^^^Not that adding a fully rollerized cam follower/rocker is going to give big hp gains, but I have always liked the idea of the tip rolling at the valve stem end instead of a sliding/pushing motion. <<<But, fully roller rockers are not cheap. I think someone else beside Jezel also offers them for the Ford mod. motors, but I don't remember who it is?

R

You don't want to know what the Jesel rockers cost. I ended up going directly to Jesel for the best pricing and was given a better than average discount on them. It has been too long for me to remember how that deal was negotiated to tell you how to do it yourself.

The one you have pictured isn't the Jesel 5.4/5.8 rocker arms, is it? Otherwise I have something that looks totally different. The ones I have are black and have lips alongside where the valve stem rides on the roller to keep the rocker from walking to the side of the stem. I guess you'd call it a guide. The stock rockers have a very similar idea also

Talking with Accufab there is little or no gain in these engines as far as power is concerned in the testing they've done in the past with the Jesel rockers arms. John has a good used set or had a set roughly a year ago that he was looking to sell at a reasonable price. Id already bought mine, otherwise I would have bought that set from him.

Yes I like the idea of the roller across the top of the valve stem, instead of dragging the rocker tip across it. That is why I spent the ridiculous price for them

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I've seen the price on Jesel's...........$4K'ish? maybe mid-high $3K's if you can find a deal?

I did not remember if that picture was a Jesel, I had grabbed it with some other modular roller rocker picture from a comparison article.

Here are the other two pictures I grabbed from that side-by-side comparison article.............

Rockers20back1_zpsjwhh6igh.jpg

Rockers1_zps72z5smvi.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^I assume the Jesel is second from the right in the top picture and second from the left in the bottom picture?

I have never heard anything negative about a fully rollerized valve train in any application, BUT..........there is that cost, and if a person is counting on "biggest bang for the buck"..............

R

Last edited:

Bad Company

Established Member
I've seen the price on Jesel's...........$4K'ish? maybe mid-high $3K's if you can find a deal?

I did not remember if that picture was a Jesel, I had grabbed it with some other modular roller rocker picture from a comparison article.

Here are the other two pictures I grabbed from that side-by-side comparison article.............

Rockers20back1_zpsjwhh6igh.jpg

Rockers1_zps72z5smvi.jpg

^^^^^^^^^^^I assume the Jesel is second from the right in the top picture and second from the left in the bottom picture?

I have never heard anything negative about a fully rollerized valve train in any application, BUT..........there is that cost, and if a person is counting on "biggest bang for the buck"..............

R

Yes you are correct on which of rocker is the Jesel in your 2 pictures. Yes you reduce load on the valve stem and guide with the roller tip, which with higher lift cams and the stiffer valve springs to control the valves at higher RPM this is a bonus. John stays under a .500" lift cam, but I have no idea how fast his ramp rate speeds are. I don't know what seat pressures he runs with his cams. The lower lift would allow him to run a lighter seat pressure, but he also turns that little motor ungodly RPM. Without knowing all the factors the Jesel rockers didn't give him any gains.

With the higher valve lifts and stiffer spring combos used in the 5.4/5.8L, along with the slower RPM range of the engine they may have more benefit in a net power gain. My thoughts on installing them was I was so deep into fixing L & M's screw up that what was a little more money. I also thought about the fact it wouldn't hurt the longevity of the engine by removing the thrust load across the stem of the rocker arm. I want this engine to last until I'm too old to care about driving the car and it is time to sell it

Users who are viewing this thread