2013 EcoBoost F150 on the dyno today:

05yellowgt

Established Member
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I had a question regarding the flow numbers quoted. Do you have any data on what the volume flowed per stroke of the stock HPFP? I have found that Bosch Makes a series of HPFP's that flow 1.1 cubic centimeters of fuel per stroke and support 200+ or 500 Bar of pressure depending on model. Doing some math on the flow numbers that Shaun posted, the stock pump looks to only flow 0.15 cubic centimeters per stroke. It seems like the Bosch pumps I found would provide MORE than enough fuel for pump gas and even enough for E85 up top (they may be near the limit in lower rpm's depending on boost levels)

RSKtakR

Established Member
Sorry to bring up an old thread but I had a question regarding the flow numbers quoted. Do you have any data on what the volume flowed per stroke of the stock HPFP? I have found that Bosch Makes a series of HPFP's that flow 1.1 cubic centimeters of fuel per stroke and support 200+ or 500 Bar of pressure depending on model. Doing some math on the flow numbers that Shaun posted, the stock pump looks to only flow 0.15 cubic centimeters per stroke. It seems like the Bosch pumps I found would provide MORE than enough fuel for pump gas and even enough for E85 up top (they may be near the limit in lower rpm's depending on boost levels)

hmmmm corn in my Ecoboost... FUN!

Shaun@AED

Stock is 1.3x cm/per cam revolution which has 3 lobes (3 strokes per revolution).

Max Volume per stroke requires a proper lobe profile as well. IE camshaft lobe design is key, not only for volume but longevity.

05yellowgt

Established Member
Stock is 1.3x cm/per cam revolution which has 3 lobes (3 strokes per revolution).

Max Volume per stroke requires a proper lobe profile as well. IE camshaft lobe design is key, not only for volume but longevity.
Are you sure that it is 3 sided? Everything I have found says 4

eco3_center.jpg

If it is 3 sided, that might be a good thing if a replacement cam can be developed with a 4 sided lobe with the correct profile as mentioned before for volume and longevity.

Shaun@AED

Maybe it's 4, data is difficult to come by and even more difficult to verify.
The data I have on 1.3x cm/cubed per cam revolution is from the SHO in a Ford document.

Can't remember where I saw the 3 lobes per revolution.

05yellowgt

Established Member
Maybe it's 4, data is difficult to come by and even more difficult to verify.
The data I have on 1.3x cm/cubed per cam revolution is from the SHO in a Ford document.

Can't remember where I saw the 3 lobes per revolution.
Now it gets more confusing because I have been told by others working on the platform that the Transverse 3.5 Ecoboost has a lower capacity pump than the longitudinal (F150) 3.5 Ecoboost.

Shaun@AED

I hit the limit of the stock pump in my F150 when I converted to E85.
I've also helped other tuners push well over 430RW on gasoline with the stock pump and no sings of pump limitations.

Based on the calculations I've done I believe the limit of the stock fuel pump is roughly 540-560 flywheel torque on E10-15 fuel and 10-13 degrees ignition timing.

Since the HPFP is cam driven, fuel volume is linear and therefore the Power limit (torque) is as well. Roughly 540-560 TQ at any RPM.

05yellowgt

Established Member
Thank you for being so open about the info Shaun! A lot of tuning outfits simply state that they are the best, but without providing any support info besides "we're better".

Shaun@AED

Thank you for being so open about the info Shaun! A lot of tuning outfits simply state that they are the best, but without providing any support info besides "we're better".

LOL

Given what I know about the EcoBoost Fords and SCT, we don't yet have the proper access to the tables that control boost and throttle.

We have gotten around these issues by modifying the tables we do have access to, but it's not the Ford OE way of calibration and therefore I don't advertise for tuning these vehicles. I'm patiently waiting for SCT to find these tables and give us tuners access. At which point I will thoroughly test on my own vehicle. Hopefully by that time we'll have an option for the HPFP and be able to run the Corn!

Users who are viewing this thread