2013 GT - Auto-X upgrade - tires or suspension?

cheeser

Established Member
Looking to do a few autocross events this summer, but want to make a few tweaks. I’m curious as to what would give me a better bang for the buck....tire change or suspension upgrade? I can only do one this year...other next year.

I currently have the stock suspension, along with Michelin A/S 3 on 19-9 and 19-10 rims. I don’t drive this car in the winter, but was looking at the Continental ExtremeContact tires and Ford suspension kit below.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-adjust-handlingpack-0514gt-assembled.html

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Do you have a Track Pack or Brembo Package? If so, I would recommend tires first. Plus, they would be cheaper and would allow you some additional funds to update your brakes & brake fluid if you haven't already done so.

You could probably get away with your current set-up for your 1st day out. That way you can see if you like it enough to invest money in upgrades.

cheeser

Established Member
I don’t have the track pack, however, I did put Brembos on a few years ago, in addition to the larger rear rotors.

I have run a few auto-x events last year with this current setup.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
During your sessions, what was of most concern to you? Traction or body lean/responsiveness?

cheeser

Established Member
Going by memory, probably traction. That probably answers my own question, but curious whether upgrading tires would make a significant difference.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
Going from an all season to a summer tire has to help. It also depends on the temperatures when you're at the track. All seasons can get greasy when even slightly overheated.

An R compound tire would give you the most traction but a tire like a Continental ExtremeContact Sport or Michelin Pilot 4S would still be a significant improvement and longer treadwear.

With your wheels I'm assuming you're looking at 265 or 275 fronts and 285 rear tires which will be a good upgrade from the stock widths.

You might also consider setting your camber to the negative edges of the OEM recommendations. Something like -1.2 or more would help you on the track. Each car is different and your alignment shop may not be able to get you to that setting without camber bolts on your front struts.

If you are really serious about auto-x or road courses, and although expensive, you may want to consider at least the Steeda HD Strut Mounts or even full caster/camber plates. These will allow you to change your camber for the track and street - and without resorting to camber bolts.

As far as the Ford package, do some more research on it. From what I can tell, the sway bar kit that comes with it is the M-5490-A kit. I believe it has a 35mm front bar (adjustable) and a 22mm rear bar. The later year S197 cars have bigger bars than the earlier ones. I think your 13 has a 34.6mm front bars (non-adjustable) and 24mm rear bar.

While the adjustable front bar has some advantages and in some situations a smaller rear bar can help, I suspect the Ford kit you're looking it was designed during the earlier years of the S197 and with respect to the sway bars would not give you as big of a benefit.

You may want to buy the components (listed at https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-FR3A-MGTAA ) separately and either skip the sway bars altogether, buy different ones (and maybe just the front), or just replace the stock bushings with polyurethane bushings.

Buying the components separately may also be easier on your budget.

cheeser

Established Member
In a perfect world, I was thinking about the RE-71R tires on an extra set of rims, but is more practical for now to just go with a UHP tire like the Continental ExtremeContact or Michelin Pilot 4S as you mentioned.

Just looking to be somewhat competitive for now.

chris_302

Established Member
Before you spend the $$ on parts, ask yourself, are you getting more front understeer? Rear Oversteer? Excessive brake dive? Can't put down power during exits?

cheeser

Established Member
If I remember correctly, it seemed my front end was pushing through the tight corners.

I was thinking of attending an autocross training session when I have time...am sure I could improve how I drive.

In looking at the advice so far, looks like I am leaning towards the tires for now and maybe a shock upgrade....then go from there.

11SVTPP

Established Member
Looking to do a few autocross events this summer, but want to make a few tweaks. I’m curious as to what would give me a better bang for the buck....tire change or suspension upgrade? I can only do one this year...other next year.

I currently have the stock suspension, along with Michelin A/S 3 on 19-9 and 19-10 rims. I don’t drive this car in the winter, but was looking at the Continental ExtremeContact tires and Ford suspension kit below.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/frpp-adjust-handlingpack-0514gt-assembled.html

1. Driver mod, learn how to set up for the corners and not under steer.
2. Hoosier A7's
3. Koni SA shocks/struts
4. Adjustable f/r sways

For auto set your front camber at -1.5. Toe out 1/8" to 1/4" You won't believe the difference this will make at an autox. Be aware that this alignment will burn the insides of your front tires pretty fast and it may be twitchy at highway speeds.

With caster camber plates you can set marks on the plates for street and autox and switch back and forth.

cheeser

Established Member
After thinking about it for a month, decided to upgrade both...going with the KONI Yellows, Eibach pro lowering springs, and Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber plates, and Continental ExtremeContact sport tires.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
I hate to say it, but the stock suspension - even on the TP cars - is horrible. Nose in the air on hard shifts, horrible brake dive, 4x4 stance, and too much body roll. When it comes to handling you get what you pay for. Basic strut/shock/spring “upgrades” just don’t cut it. They are better than stock but leave way too much on the table. If you want fantastic handling go with a set of quality coil-overs. You will want to go with a good set of CC plates up front. A watts link in back is a much better solution than an adj Panhard bar.

I know this blows the budget. But if you want your car to handle as well as a GT350 it is the only way to go. I was lucky and knew someone putting his car back to stock to sell, and I got a great deal on the whole setup.

cheeser

Established Member
I hate to say it, but the stock suspension - even on the TP cars - is horrible. Nose in the air on hard shifts, horrible brake dive, 4x4 stance, and too much body roll. When it comes to handling you get what you pay for. Basic strut/shock/spring “upgrades” just don’t cut it. They are better than stock but leave way too much on the table. If you want fantastic handling go with a set of quality coil-overs. You will want to go with a good set of CC plates up front. A watts link in back is a much better solution than an adj Panhard bar.

I know this blows the budget. But if you want your car to handle as well as a GT350 it is the only way to go. I was lucky and knew someone putting his car back to stock to sell, and I got a great deal on the whole setup.

As I just earlier, I am going with:
  • KONI Yellows
  • Eibach pro lowering springs
  • Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber plates
  • Continental ExtremeContact sport tires

I don't expect this handle like a GT350, but this should be an upgrade from what I have now.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
You will be happy. The Koni's are orders of magnitude better than stock. Not as good as coilovers but probably a bigger bang for your buck. With stock suspension/tires a 3, and Coilovers with a RE-71 tires a 10, your set-up is about a 7.

cheeser

Established Member
Thanks. If I move beyond doing autox more than a time or two per year, I plan on buying dedicated rims/tires that I can swap out.

Coz

Established Member
Premium Member
By the way, I was at Pocono Raceway yesterday for a track day (on North/South Option 3) and it was raining during the morning sessions. My prior generation Continental ExtremeContact DWs (265/40-18 front, 285/40-18 rear) were AWESOME in the wet.

I started off slow since this was my first time in the rain. I progressively started pushing it harder in the tight turns and they kept a solid grip. Got up to 120 on the back straight and felt a slight little wiggle which I guess was the beginning of hydroplaning and backed off. Nevertheless, braking from 110-100 in the wet prior to the tight right turn back infield was flawless.

My PowersStop Track Day pads in the front did great too. Fastest I got to in mostly-dry conditions on the back straight was 130.

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
As I just earlier, I am going with:
  • KONI Yellows
  • Eibach pro lowering springs
  • Maximum Motorsports Caster Camber plates
  • Continental ExtremeContact sport tires

I don't expect this handle like a GT350, but this should be an upgrade from what I have now.

Sorry - I read your first few posts but not #12. That’s definitely a huge upgrade over stock. The main issue with those springs is many feel they are too soft. I would have gone with a very similar setup if I didn’t stumble on the deal for my setup. Enjoy!

cheeser

Established Member
No worries. I'm not too worried about trying to wring out the most capability of this car...it should work for what I want though.

paulyboy928

Established Member
That'll definitely be an upgrade over stock. If you want to go to the next level, get a watts link. Easily one of the top 3 mods I've don't to my car.

Users who are viewing this thread