2013 GT500 First Time at track

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
thanks

compared to what? search some 2013's and see where it falls... I feel you are the 2nd person to comment that has no idea about the actual times of the car and stock tires and launch control used together

Sorry, but it's you my friend that doesn't have a clue. Awesome car for sure! But you need to learn how to drive.

Kiohtee

Established Member
Some of you people are straight stupid. Good times OP! Some of us have reading comprehension and actual track experience and can recognize that a 12.3 at 3,000+FT is worth a high 11.

But it is funny that when the ZL1 was first released and everyone was running high 12s with it the car was considered balls slow and high 12s the norm. People are a funny bunch I tell ya.

BPatterson

Established Member
What most here are failing to realize is this, those of us that think the times are horrible, are more focused on the mph. Sure, the ET is decent, but the mph is very low, even in 3,000' DA. ET in a manual car relies heavily on the driver. The ET and MPH pretty much match, and no offense to the OP, but it looks like you need a LOT more seat time to pull decent ET's and MPH's out of this car. The times and mph's you're putting down are not indicative of what this car can actually do. My measley little bolt-on 5.0 is both out ET-ing and mph-ing you in similar conditions.

I'm sure your car is fine, you just need more seat time, and PLENTY of cool down time between passes, and you'll be pleasantly surprised with what the car returns to you. :) Best of luck in your future track visits! And remember, it's all about having fun, and that's what really matters. Pretty much none of us here do this for a living! lol

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
the density altitude is bad....but it's not 10mph worth of bad. Going +3000 to 0 DA is not going to negate poor shifting, poor shifting points and a car thats heat soaked from not keeping it cooled down fully before running. It takes some dedicated strategy to produce top times/mph for a given condition, and thats from the moment you enter the gate to the moment you pass the 1320 mark.

but props to you OP for even taking it out, thats more than a lot of the owners will ever do. have fun with it and report back this fall

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
the density altitude is bad....but it's not 10mph worth of bad. Going +3000 to 0 DA is not going to negate poor shifting, poor shifting points and a car thats heat soaked from not keeping it cooled down fully before running. It takes some dedicated strategy to produce top times/mph for a given condition, and thats from the moment you enter the gate to the moment you pass the 1320 mark.

but props to you OP for even taking it out, thats more than a lot of the owners will ever do. have fun with it and report back this fall

You made a good point about shift points. OP where were you shifting? The 2013's make big power up to 7000. Anything less could explain the mph.

rwboring

Established Member
You made a good point about shift points. OP where were you shifting? The 2013's make big power up to 7000. Anything less could explain the mph.

around 6750-6900, i set the shiftlight to 6500, next time ill bump it up to 6750 so its more of a reaction and not a wait

honestly that could be a big part of it but that is also hard to practice anywhere but a track...

ehhh ive hard the car for under two months... itll get there!

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
around 6750-6900, i set the shiftlight to 6500, next time ill bump it up to 6750 so its more of a reaction and not a wait

honestly that could be a big part of it but that is also hard to practice anywhere but a track...

ehhh ive hard the car for under two months... itll get there!

next time give yourself plenty of cooldown. Bring an ice chest with bags of ice. Sit them on the blower and let it sit. Then run the shit out of it. 7000 shift points will get you the mph we are looking for 120-125.:beer:

rwboring

Established Member
next time give yourself plenty of cooldown. Bring an ice chest with bags of ice. Sit them on the blower and let it sit. Then run the shit out of it. 7000 shift points will get you the mph we are looking for 120-125.:beer:

I agree...

without seeing the ET what would the 60ft and trap speed translate to?

this is a slightly getto track... I am wondering if the speed sensors were off... it just seems like the 60ft kills the time itself. If I would have gotten a 2.0 the 12.3 would have been an 11 second run, but I still wouldn't have been above 118.

Isn't the rule of thumb .1sec in the 60 is .2 on the 1/4?

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
I agree...

without seeing the ET what would the 60ft and trap speed translate to?

this is a slightly getto track... I am wondering if the speed sensors were off... it just seems like the 60ft kills the time itself. If I would have gotten a 2.0 the 12.3 would have been an 11 second run, but I still wouldn't have been above 118.

.1 is about .15 on the big end. I think with a 2.0 60ft and 120 traps you would've been high 11's. In the end street tires are not your friend with 600 rhwp on tap. At a minimum get a set of 555r's to drive on.:beer:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
No it's more like .10 in 60' = .15 in final ET.

The biggest factor here is not shift points, or DA, etc, etc. It's 60' times. Pretty tough to get anything done at 2.2+ second sixty foot times.

Get some tires Boring! :rockon:

HeavyH20

Established Member
Once you get some seat time, you will do fine. And, as a practice point, do what Ranger Acceleration recommends, sit in your car and run through the shifts with the car off. It will help embed the muscle memory.

One question, did you have the TC completely disabled? I wonder if the torque management pulled the MPH back on you. Either way, that is a fine showing for a first time in a new car. My buddy had the exact same tune and mods as my car that runs 11.2@125 and he could only manage 12.8@116. The good times are in it with some practice.

rwboring

Established Member
Once you get some seat time, you will do fine. And, as a practice point, do what Ranger Acceleration recommends, sit in your car and run through the shifts with the car off. It will help embed the muscle memory.

One question, did you have the TC completely disabled? I wonder if the torque management pulled the MPH back on you. Either way, that is a fine showing for a first time in a new car. My buddy had the exact same tune and mods as my car that runs 11.2@125 and he could only manage 12.8@116. The good times are in it with some practice.

Everything was left enabled, TC off for burnout only

rwboring

Established Member
That explains what happened to your mph and some ET next time at the track make sure you turn off the tc and advance track .

so mode 7 still gives LC and mode 6 is only the 2-stage correct?

I didn't think it would pull THAT much out... live and learn

r103

Established Member
Everyone is just mad because it didn't run like the magazine cars. Just enjoy it op.

Exactly. bbbbbut motor trend said and youtube vids yada yada yada. How many gt500 besides the ones owned by speed shops and magazines have run at the track? Someone should compile those numbers. Give the guy a break atleast he has one.

r103

Established Member
My last comment... everyone always talks about Terminator and now this car being T2. If you ask me the real Terminator was made back in the late 80's "Foxbody" that's one car someone could buy cheap and go fast even cheaper.

Users who are viewing this thread