2013 has "manual mode" sequential shifting automatic now?! :-D

Frankiebonez

Established Member
So I just was reading online and realized that FINALLY Ford is letting the driver of the automatic manually shift the gears if we want in the automatic?!

Anyone have a 2013 yet and can comment on how well it works? Does is shift nice, can you actually hit the rev limiter? Some of those automatic/manual hybrids will still shift you out of the gear if your approaching red line, I know BMW does it for instance.

I'm so stoked!!! I want my 2013 already! :)

EDIT: I found Ford calls it SelectShift, I'm sure some of you guys with trucks/explorers have used it before since they have it equipped in them. Seems like a great feature, lets you drive away from a stop light in 2nd gear even which would be good for those wet days with your blower car :) .

Last edited:

kevinp

Established Member
I've driven the pickups, its nothing to get too exited about if its a the same, its like the new 'paddle' shift corvettes as well. It works and certainly is better than the 11-12 setup for a road course or playing around. But for drag racing I'm pretty sure it will be like the 11-12s and just leave it in drive.

I've driven mine plenty in the rain with the blower, if your brain/right foot and traction control cant handle it then putting it in 2nd probably wont help much either :)

Would like to hear from some new auto owners as well.

jonp

Established Member
Would this make it any easier for tuners on the dyno? What is the main difference in the trans? Just a tune and interface buttons? Could you add this functionality if you add the interface buttons and the tuned capability?

kevinp

Established Member
Would this make it any easier for tuners on the dyno? What is the main difference in the trans? Just a tune and interface buttons? Could you add this functionality if you add the interface buttons and the tuned capability?

Dont think it can be added by just programming/wiring, pretty sure the F150/select shift valve body doesnt use a manual valve at all like the mustangs. I'm sure it will possible to retrofit everything from a 2013 but cost versus useability may not be worth it for most.

Tuners have no problem with the 11-12s on the dyno, they just lock it 4th gear via the tune.

Frankiebonez

Established Member
I've driven the pickups, its nothing to get too exited about if its a the same, its like the new 'paddle' shift corvettes as well. It works and certainly is better than the 11-12 setup for a road course or playing around. But for drag racing I'm pretty sure it will be like the 11-12s and just leave it in drive.

I've driven mine plenty in the rain with the blower, if your brain/right foot and traction control cant handle it then putting it in 2nd probably wont help much either :)

Would like to hear from some new auto owners as well.

I hear ya, I'm sure most people can drive the car in any weather by just leaving it in drive.

My happiest reasoning is that if I come across someone while cruising or I'm out playing around with my buddies doing some roll race runs... I can have the car in the gear I want for the hit. I think its a great feature and will overall just let us have some more fun in the car. I'm looking forward to playing with it for sure.

kevinp

Established Member
I hear ya, I'm sure most people can drive the car in any weather by just leaving it in drive.

My happiest reasoning is that if I come across someone while cruising or I'm out playing around with my buddies doing some roll race runs... I can have the car in the gear I want for the hit. I think its a great feature and will overall just let us have some more fun in the car. I'm looking forward to playing with it for sure.

I agree, no matter who does the trans tuning there will be a hesitation if you nail it and it has to downshift. Especially at 50mph or so if its cruising in 6th, long way down to 2nd it seems.

It wouldnt be so bad if there were some kind of gates on the stock shifter, really you never would need any more than 1-2-3 for anything. Since you can just move the shifter freely from 1-3 its pretty useelss unless you get stuck in the snow or something :)

100% for sure its a welcome feature on the 13s.

acrbill

Established Member
As is my 2011 will hit a limiter if I have it in 1st. If you think about it you really do have control of just about every gear you need. 1-3 and then if you hit the hill assist button it locks you out of OD. I almost always use the hill assist unless I am on an expressway.

Users who are viewing this thread