2013 intercooler intake screen

Aad1710

Established Member
This question goes to all of the lucky owners of 2013 500's. Does the inlet side of the inter-cooler have a screen to protect the fins against damage from road debris? Have not had the opportunity to inspect and noted increase in size (based upon reports) am am curious as to level of protection. Responses much appreciated. Respect to all. Best regards.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
When I get mine I hope the aftermarket makes something, Ill give up a little cooling for protected radiators. I'd like them hardly noticeable thou.

Rotarur

Loflyr
Established Member
Buy a pair of tweezers and get ready to fish debris out of the radiator fins, don't ask me how I know.

Chris!

Former Ford Dealer
Established Member
After 5000 miles, 4000 or so highway, other than some bugs and dirt- my radiator etc. dont look so bad.

Fordfourlife

Established Member
Could you easily put a 2012 grill in if you wanted to or did they change the mounting?

Aad1710

Established Member
Thanks to all for thoughtful replies. Would I be correct in the assumption that the inter-cooler water and engine cooling water are separate ? i.e. loss of intercooler water [puncture from road hazard] would not result in loss of engine jacket water ?

regards and respect to all,
A.

Rotarur

Loflyr
Established Member
Thanks to all for thoughtful replies. Would I be correct in the assumption that the inter-cooler water and engine cooling water are separate ? i.e. loss of intercooler water [puncture from road hazard] would not result in loss of engine jacket water ?

regards and respect to all,
A.

Correct.

cdvision

Established Member
Even the grill on my 2010 does virtually nothing to protect from bugs and debris. I wouldn't worry about the open design to much.

Snagged

Shenanigans!!!
Established Member
You guys should be just fine with the big openings. I'm sure SVT wouldn't put out something that would get damaged so easily. Plus, the 03/04 Cobras have a huge opening on them and I've heard of no problems from that front. Certainly not on mine.

IMG_0810.jpg

Front4.jpg

Last edited:

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
I know you will be fine with the opening, I'd just like something for the eyes to focus on other than bugs in the grill.

SGMPhil

The Sergeant Major
Established Member
I figgure that the SVT thought that since this car is so bad ass that nothing would be in front of it to begin with - thereby eliminating the possibility of something being sucked in through the front of the vehicle - except a few lucky bugs :)

Cam

n/a
Established Member
Even the grill on my 2010 does virtually nothing to protect from bugs and debris. I wouldn't worry about the open design to much.

Exactly, the grill is for aesthetics, not protection.

Last edited:

carguy19

Established Member
If you use some prep solvant on a rag and rub the fins lightly with a soft towel it will take off most of the gunk. For those of you that dont have prep solvant you can use brakeclean (non clorinated) or WD40 if you wipe it off good.

If you get in the habit of doing this every time you drive the car nothing will buildup on there.

Users who are viewing this thread