2013 Nexus 7 permanent indash install

DeeJayTJ

Established Member
Okay so here's what I've been working on. Finally completed the install.
2013 Base - I have a MusicarNW Ipad mini mount but wanted something more like a factory looking nav setup that I could leave in the car permanently.

My car is a base that I've pretty much converted into a premium, factory leather seats(the skins only), premium door panels (gt500 actually - door subs powered by a small 2 channel amp hidden in driverside kick panel), rear camera spoiler, premium cluster, factory ambient lightning but aftermarket controller which will soon be controlled by the android.

So I dont like the aftermarket "look" so i did the best i could to go aftermarket without it looking so aftermarket.

Enough of the background, here's the good stuff!

Heres what the factory nav looks like incase you didnt know

Heres what Mine looks like.
11259609_10155512968190461_8237456882936447739_n-M.jpg

11055292_10155512968330461_3268145775305813210_n-M.jpg

This is powered by a Sony aftermarket headunit that I've mounted in the trunk between trunk and quarter panel.
The green and ride wires pictured are NOT part of this setup....

Used the iDatalink Maestro ADS-MRR Interface Module for steering wheel controls, and a Scosche mustang double din kit just so I could destroy it for the a/c controls :(
03-scosche-mustang-dash-kit-M.jpg

The radio is mounted in the trunk because there wasnt enough room to hide it behind the bezel and its actually easier to access if i had to, here in the trunk.

In the process I also made a second setup which I wont be needing but it can be used with the factory radio as long as you have bluetooth and uses the factory a/c controls and also has the buttons for heated seats.

Last edited:

DeeJayTJ

Established Member
i had to cut all that stuff up to mold it where i wanted.

im pulling it out and repainting soon, have a FEW little flaws I want to fix (more filling and sanding) then repaint. Hopefully then it will be even better. I also ordered a USB fan to go behind and help circulate some air in there since the summer will be blazing hot.

Next thing i need to do is find a new power source, the Sony headunit doesnt charge fast enough. Not a real big deal since it connects by bluetooth anyway, so I'll be adding a USB port that can charge tablets rather quickly and it will be wired up to a relay so that when the radio is on, the tablet is on. It will be simple :) (i already have the power source wired up this way, just need the usb power port or car charger type)

Nuar

Established Member
Man that is simply awesome. I would LOVE to have that setup in my car... i am electronics retarded though. I can follow instructions, but making everything work like that by myself? Forget it lol i would burn the car down lol

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
Great looking setup, really profressional! How did you fab up that 2nd setup you have pictured that retains the factory A/C controls?

I've been wanting to do a setup like that with my Nexus 7 for some time, I'm definitely not afraid of the electrical aspect but I only have limited expereince working with plastic and molding... was there a base that you bought for it or was it primarily manufactured by yourself?

DeeJayTJ

Established Member
Great looking setup, really profressional! How did you fab up that 2nd setup you have pictured that retains the factory A/C controls?

I've been wanting to do a setup like that with my Nexus 7 for some time, I'm definitely not afraid of the electrical aspect but I only have limited expereince working with plastic and molding... was there a base that you bought for it or was it primarily manufactured by yourself?

when i cut up the scosche kit for the a/c controls i was left with a double din opening, I had bought an extra mustang radio face with all the a/c controls and radio buttons and decided to put the extra double din opening into that bezel, so I had to remove the radio knobs from the circuit board, cut lots of the plastic away that had all the radio stuff, then put it all back together after molding the extra double din opening to the bezel.

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
when i cut up the scosche kit for the a/c controls i was left with a double din opening, I had bought an extra mustang radio face with all the a/c controls and radio buttons and decided to put the extra double din opening into that bezel, so I had to remove the radio knobs from the circuit board, cut lots of the plastic away that had all the radio stuff, then put it all back together after molding the extra double din opening to the bezel.

Ahh okay nice, that does make sense then. I might give it a try if I can find a used one for a reasonable amount.

Also, how hard was it to convert to the premium gauge cluster? I've done a bit of reading on it and it seems you need to either have the dealer repgrogram it or use a special too to do it yourself... but how involved is the actual wiring aspect of or does it mostly just hook right up in place?

Thanks!

DeeJayTJ

Established Member
cluster swap is easy, if you have a 13/14 its a direct swap plus the programming. if you have an 11-12 it will require a little more work :-/

scott_0

Established Member
^^^that is pretty nice, but his is cleaner and less busy imo, and dude.........fix your shift knob already

Uncle Rusty

Established Member
cluster swap is easy, if you have a 13/14 its a direct swap plus the programming. if you have an 11-12 it will require a little more work :-/

Nice, I've got a 13 so it shouldn't be too bad then.... gonna do a bit more research on some of the threads here.

Nuar

Established Member
Califsp, yours looks pretty good, however if I had to choose factory radio over anything iCrap I would have stuck with the factory setup lol :p

DeeJayTJ

Established Member
Nice, I've got a 13 so it shouldn't be too bad then.... gonna do a bit more research on some of the threads here.

there is a LOT of information on this but its on another forum. Pretty much a direct swap. I ordered mine from ford and spent a fortune on it, cheapest route is to find off ebay or in a junkyard and then send it to uniden radio to be programmed for your mileage. A VCMII is needed to reprogram for your keys as well.

Users who are viewing this thread