2013 Rustang

Chris Proia

Established Member
Is it normal for a 2013 mustang with 8,500 miles on it to develop rust on the k-member, a-arms and DS? I got under the car this weekend to install my barton 2 post bracket and was shocked to see suspension components with rust. I know the rear axle does but the k-member, a-arms and DS??? I drive a total of 20 miles a day and this vehicle is always garaged. I do live in FL but come on, its not like I'm driving in the snow. All of the other vehicles I've owned were substantially older with more miles and they didn't have any of this. I'm disappointed to say the least.

I will be moving up to NC this year so I'm a bit nervous to keep the car up in that climate. What say you?

hitmix300

Established Member
I have the same symptoms on my car. But it's things that don't matter. The bolts and nuts are good...

86Fbody

Established Member
It is most likely because the steel used is meant to rust on the surface to stop and further rust from occurring.

mark5pt0

Established Member
Completely normal and total bullshit as far as I'm concerned. My brand new off the lot '14 has the same rust you have. I primed and painted the control arms and spindles, as well as the rotors, calipers and all the attaching hardware. Also removed the rear axle, applied POR-15 and painted it. My wife freaked out when she saw I was dis mantling a car with 700 miles on it. She then understood what I was doing when I showed her all the friggin rust.

I don't care if the metal is supposed to develop a layer of rust to protect itself, looks like shit. Nothing worse than all kinds of powdercoated aftermarket suspension components on a rusty-ass axle. Ford should paint these items.

86Fbody

Established Member
Completely normal and total bullshit as far as I'm concerned. My brand new off the lot '14 has the same rust you have. I primed and painted the control arms and spindles, as well as the rotors, calipers and all the attaching hardware. Also removed the rear axle, applied POR-15 and painted it. My wife freaked out when she saw I was dis mantling a car with 700 miles on it. She then understood what I was doing when I showed her all the friggin rust.

I don't care if the metal is supposed to develop a layer of rust to protect itself, looks like shit. Nothing worse than all kinds of powdercoated aftermarket suspension components on a rusty-ass axle. Ford should paint these items.

I get where you are coming from, but when was the last time you were some place and someone was gawking at your spindles or your axle housing and commenting on the rust?

mark5pt0

Established Member
I get where you are coming from, but when was the last time you were some place and someone was gawking at your spindles or your axle housing and commenting on the rust?

Well, the first thing my son said to me when he first saw my new Mustang was "what's up with all the rust on the rear axle?".

True story...

Johnf78

Established Member
His son noticed it within the first 30 seconds of seeing the car for the first time! Lol

The rust under these cars look horrible. It's not really a matter of what everyone else thinks just can't stand getting under a new car or looking through a wheel well and seeing rust everywhere. Heck I couldn't stand to get under my 90lx and see any rust let alone a brand new one.

Rct851

Established Member
Yea I rather all my pretty new bmr stuff have a better backdrop than the factory rust

JohnRichard

MT82 Speed Shiftin Maniac
Established Member

Go tell the dealer about it. it will do more good than bitching in a Mustang Forum.

86Fbody

Established Member
Go tell the dealer about it. it will do more good than bitching in a Mustang Forum.

Nothing will get done, makes more sense to come in here and bring it up and learn something rather than having Ford say they won't fix it and not explain why.

mark5pt0

Established Member

And just what do you think the dealer would do for me?
Ford will say it's normal. and they would be right. These parts normally rust on these cars. I don't agree with it, but it matters not.
I worked in a dealership for 11 years.. I know better than to waste my time going that route.

Nothing will get done, makes more sense to come in here and bring it up and learn something rather than having Ford say they won't fix it and not explain why.

This guy gets it.

Dbzguy

Black Sheep Squadron
Established Member
I was kind of trippin on seeing my rear axle all brown as well but didnt know about all the other under componants that are the same way lol

Users who are viewing this thread