2013 TPMS Aftermarket Wheels Fitment

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Hello everyone, I finally found the perfect wheels. They have the right looks, size, don't weigh a ton and don't cost a fortune.

Anyway, these will be used on the street and on the track (road course). The easy solution to my problem is to not run TPMS. However, I'd like to have the connivence of TPMS and avoid the warning light. All this can be done with the regular ones, but since they are limited to 155 MPH it means I'm limited to that speed on the track. And I can easily exceed those speed and that where the 2013 TPMS comes in because its rated at 200MPH.

I found a thread on SVTP about fitment, there is a member here who tried to use the 2013 TPMS on the SS Alcoa's and apparently the TPMS soon broke inside the wheels. So, I was wondering if the fitment issue only limited to the Alcoa's or is it the same for any other aftermarket wheels?

Snoopy49

Established Member
You may have to machine the valve stem hole in the wheel for the 2013 TPMS.
The aftermarket wheels are setup for the rubber pull-in type valve stems, the 2013 if held in by a threaded nut/cap.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Well, the same company sells the regular TPMS with upgraded metal valve stems. I'm assuming they are the same?

Snoopy49

Established Member
Here are a couple of pictures of the 2013 GT500 TPMS.
2013-14 GT500 TPMS.jpg
P4250111.jpg
P4250112.jpg
P4250113.jpg
P4250114.jpg

merkyworks

Established Member
Intresting, minus the notch in the 2013 valve stem that just looks like a normal tire pressure sensor with a metal valve stem like these.
DILL-VS-925B-2.jpg

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
UPDATE: So Apex got back to me and this is what they said:

"The MPH ratings that you are inquiring about are tied to whether or not the car comes with rubber or metal valve stems from Ford. The GT500 has upgraded metal valve stems. Since we only sell our sensors with upgraded metal valve stems, you do not have to worry about the different part numbers."

So basically as long as I have the metal valve stem I'm good? Is this a valid reasoning?

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I ordered a set of the Black stems shown in post #7, I compared them to a set of new Black bolt together stems that I already had..........the stems shown in post #7 do not have the ability to be held with a wrench while a torque wrench is used to tighten the stem nut, I am not sure how a person would properly hold that style of stem while torqueing the stem nut.

I have side-by-side pictures at the house, I will add them this weekend.

I returned the stems shown in post #7 for a full refund.

R

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
UPDATE 2: So I did some more digging and I found the same TPMS with metal valves stem that Apex sell on another website. They had the original Huf part number, going on Huf's website I found out that this TPMS was actually the same as the 13/14 GT500.

I still don't know if the 13/14 GT500 TPMS will fit aftermarket wheels, but the TPMS w/metal valve stem will do the job.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
This is the TPMS that Apex sell, and you can find them on other websites as well
http://www.products.intellisens.com/Details/SensorDetails/RDE016V21

This is the 13/14 TPMS, which has the same part number
http://www.products.intellisens.com/Search/Result/B0602F3BF1128A78BAC6C6223B273768

Wow!!

^^^^Did anyone notice the In/lbs torque spec. listed in these two links? 35 in/lbs for the stem nut and the sensor screw. Somewhere recently I read a much high in/lb spec for the stem nut...............like 71 in/lbs............<<<That is twice as high as the spec recommended in those two links. I have read recently about an Alcoa owner having a valve stem failure, could that owner have used the 71 in/lbs spec for his Alcoa's and that is why the valve stem failed?

R

Snoopy49

Established Member
From the 2014 Mustang Factory Workshop Manual

Torque Specifications
Valve stem assembly nut (GT500) 71 lb-in
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) sensor-to-valve stem assembly screw 13 lb-in

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
From the 2014 Mustang Factory Workshop Manual

Torque Specifications
Valve stem assembly nut (GT500) 71 lb-in
Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) sensor-to-valve stem assembly screw 13 lb-in

^^^That is quite a discrepancy! 71 or 35......especially the same exact part number.

I wonder who is right? I have just torqued two metal bolt-together TPMS stems in a pair of Black Alcoa's and they are currently at 45in.lbs. <<Even that seems to be getting to be quite a bit for the stem nut.

R

Snoopy49

Established Member
They are not the same part number, you are comparing Shrader (OEM) to Huf.

Schrader - DR3Z-1A189-A
Huf IntelliSens - UVS3030
Huf - RDE016V21

Cman01

hello
Established Member
When u buy the proper TPMS from Ford they come assembled already (the stem to the sensor) so you just need to install them on the wheel and tighten the nut properly.

I have the proper TPMS on my Forgeline GA1R wheels.

Tip: when you try to torque down the nut it will be very difficult to hold the sensor in the proper position and it tends to turn with one side of the sensor touching the inner part of the wheel. Grab a piece of cardboard and stick it in between the sensor and the wheel that will hold the sensor in the proper place while you tighten the nut. Use an in/lbs. torque wrench and tighten the nut to the proper specs. Double check them after you have run the wheel on the car.

Snoopy49

Established Member
The original TPMS valve stem appears to be stainless steel and most of the replacements are aluminum. This would explain the torque differences.

Users who are viewing this thread