2014 a6 dying when slowing down or after pull

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
So my buddies car just got tuned by a local tuner whos been doing gms for years with hptuners. Hes only done a few coyotes all of which were manuals. Car has paxton with 3.33 pulley, 13psi, a1000 pump, id1000s, circle d 2c, boss intake, boss valve springs, built 11:1 shortblock. On e85 on an MD dyno it made 740 and wot logs look great. 19 degress base timing adding only a degree if no knock. Pulls smooth and hard. But..... it keeps dying when slowing to lights or after you let off of a pull. Didnt do it the first day but now it just keeps doing it. The tuner is a good dude and i thought id post up to see if anyone can shed some light on where to look to help solve this. Hes using hptuners and is kind of at his wits end. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

RJ13GT

Established Member
Its probably idle dipping and stalling. Mine did it right after l put my 3c converter in. Its in the tune. I know mine did it worse when i had the a/c on or the cooling fan was on putting a load on the engine. Coming off the throttle suddenly coming to a stop would do it too. I just put it in neutral every time i came to a light to make sure it wouldnt cut off. Im not a tuner but i think there is some kind of idle load compensation or something he can adjust to fix it.

Last edited:

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
that seems like what its doing. i was also told it could have something to do with the bypass not bleeding of the air fast enough causing the short term fuel trims to go rich. gonna have to log it to see but gonna check to make sure the proper spring is in the tial bov

RJ13GT

Established Member
It will take the load off the engine and the idle will level out. If it doesnt stall then its just something he can revise in the tune. Hopefully thats all it is. Ive had two cars with similar symptoms after torque converter installs.

Last edited:

xxbmxlsxx

Established Member
i wasnt in the car but he said when he tried slapping it in neutral it still dies then "was hard to start". I drove it around in "s" mode and downshifted when slowing down and had no issues at all. In drive it dies alot. Going back for more logging in the next few days. Just looking to hopefully point the guy tuning in a direction that is helpful since hes still learning this platform.

Users who are viewing this thread