2014 Focus ST is now mine!!

TheJigShow

Hello SVTPerformance. My name is Justin, and I have joined the Focus ST club. A couple weeks ago I bought myself a 2014 Focus ST, in Tuxedo Black Metallic with the ST3 package and every option available, including the gray wheels and the red brake calipers. Before this I've owned 2 Mustangs (a 1997 GT and then an 2004 GT). They were both automatics and fun in their own right, but after a while, I needed a stick-shift car and something new and way more reliable to last me for years to come.

So far I've put about 475 miles on it, and I'm excited for the road ahead with this car. Although I'm not going to right away, I plan on doing simple bolt-on mods to get the most out of the car without going too extreme. I'm ok with the looks and handling, so I don't plan on modifying that. If anything, I'm looking for a better catback exhaust, an intake, tuner, better brakes, maybe a downpipe, and possibly a blow-off valve. I'm open to any suggestions you folks have. Thank you!

jonb347

Established Member
nice work. I too am a hardcore V8 Mustang guy who succomed (is that spelled right) to this car. Its loads of fun. My advice...

-Don't do a catback. They all sound like crap. Get a downpipe and leave it be.
-Cobb AP, best mod possible. Makes it a whole new car.
-Don't waste money on a blowoff valve, just get a green filter. And don't bother with an intake pipe, its not even "feelable" power. If anything use the ford racing one it actually helps airflow.
-Steeda shifter bracket, best 70 bucks ever.

I am totally happy with my car and I've gotten rid of or sold everything except tune and shifter bracket and green filter.

Steeda_Rod

Established Member
I got to take our Focus ST shop car out for some hot laps at Palm Beach International.
What a hoot!!!!!!
Just with the CAI, tune, springs and rear bar it was the best balanced FWD street car I have ever driven! Still can drive it anywhere. The ride is great.
Thinking about getting one myself.

2001GTTT

Yellow is faster
Established Member
Nice pickup, those cars are crazy fun. Interested to see what you do to it in the future.

TheJigShow

Thanks guys! I'll take all that into consideration. Right now I have to break it in a little more than I'll start modding. Definitely need to do something right away about the shifter though lol. And I just want to hear turbo noise so that's why I suggested a blow-off valve lol. And of course to tint the windows.

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
Do a engine mount too. I'm picking up mine on Friday and already ordered the cp-e stage 2 mount for it.

I could not stand the wheel hop the stock mount caused.

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Do a engine mount too. I'm picking up mine on Friday and already ordered the cp-e stage 2 mount for it.

I could not stand the wheel hop the stock mount caused.

Wheel hop was awful in my mazdaspeed3, and I see CP-e makes the mount for both. Wish i knew that while i still had the mazda, but the focus is likely in my future as well.

OP, or anyone for that matter, we're building our ecoboost/ST sections as we speak, but if anyone needs anything in particular in the meantime, please let any one of us know, and we'll be happy to get you whatever it is you're looking for, with your member discount, of course! :thumbsup:

TRBO VNM

Thanks guys! I'll take all that into consideration. Right now I have to break it in a little more than I'll start modding. Definitely need to do something right away about the shifter though lol. And I just want to hear turbo noise so that's why I suggested a blow-off valve lol. And of course to tint the windows.

Do the steeda shift bracket. The shifter itself doesn't change the throw that much. But the shifter bracket changes it greatly.

Check with ford and see if your mounts have been updated. There is a TSB for the mounts, some hardware and a clutch line. Big difference from what it originally came with. I didn't want to go with an aftermarket mount and risk adding NVH since this is my DD and most reports I have heard from people with aftermarket mounts have noticed more NVH. Some say they get used to it, but right now I didn't want to deal with that so I did the TSB from Ford since it was free.

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor

Cobb 13/14 Ford Focus ST Short Shift Plate - Transmission - 2013-2014 Focus ST - Ford Ecoboost Cars and Trucks

I've heard a lot of good things about the Cobb plate. Let me know if you want to get one rolling, they're in stock!

In terms of hearing the turbo more, you'll be better off with a cold air intake. The Cobb filter may help a bit too, but I'm just going off what I know from owning the MS3 since they're similar in many ways. We should have a Focus in house soon to play with :thumbsup:

TheJigShow

Welcome to SVTP.:beer:

Cobb 13/14 Ford Focus ST Short Shift Plate - Transmission - 2013-2014 Focus ST - Ford Ecoboost Cars and Trucks

I've heard a lot of good things about the Cobb plate. Let me know if you want to get one rolling, they're in stock!

In terms of hearing the turbo more, you'll be better off with a cold air intake. The Cobb filter may help a bit too, but I'm just going off what I know from owning the MS3 since they're similar in many ways. We should have a Focus in house soon to play with :thumbsup:

Well thanks for the suggestions again and I've been looking up different parts already. I'll check out lethal performance too. I have my mind pretty much set on Ford Racing's catback for it, and I'll be getting a shift plate. I'm just surprised that it only takes a $100 shift plate; used to short shifters lol.

I'll get a cold air. I looked into Ford Racing's, but I don't like the idea of cutting the car up to install a cold air system.

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
nice work. I too am a hardcore V8 Mustang guy who succomed (is that spelled right) to this car. Its loads of fun. My advice...

-Don't do a catback. They all sound like crap. Get a downpipe and leave it be.
-Cobb AP, best mod possible. Makes it a whole new car.
-Don't waste money on a blowoff valve, just get a green filter. And don't bother with an intake pipe, its not even "feelable" power. If anything use the ford racing one it actually helps airflow.
-Steeda shifter bracket, best 70 bucks ever.

I am totally happy with my car and I've gotten rid of or sold everything except tune and shifter bracket and green filter.

I like the MBRP exhaust with no DP.

[youtube_browser]yKE1OackJBs[/youtube_browser]

Listen at :16 and :50.

John@Lethal

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Well thanks for the suggestions again and I've been looking up different parts already. I'll check out lethal performance too. I have my mind pretty much set on Ford Racing's catback for it, and I'll be getting a shift plate. I'm just surprised that it only takes a $100 shift plate; used to short shifters lol.

I'll get a cold air. I looked into Ford Racing's, but I don't like the idea of cutting the car up to install a cold air system.

Sounds good Jig,

Let me know if I can help you get the parts you're looking for. We'll be happy to get you the best deals we can on the FRPP parts, and the shift plate you decide on!

Thanks again
John

Users who are viewing this thread