2014 Mustang GT or Subaru WRX STI??

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
i regret buying the STi i had, was fun for a few days n got boring quick. a few months later, and stage 2+, was still underwhelmed. The car could handle its ass off and had a lot of practicality to it, but lacked on potential when it came to power.

D.T.R

Established Member
get the Subi...we need more cars to laugh at on our cruises.
:lol1::lol1:
i regret buying the STi i had, was fun for a few days n got boring quick. a few months later, and stage 2+, was still underwhelmed. The car could handle its ass off and had a lot of practicality to it, but lacked on potential when it came to power.
^ This, 100% is what i'm saying.
A v6 mustang with a tune will give a stock STi a run for its money. That makes me sad haha.

Exactly lmao

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
I'm curious as to why your comparing the STi vs the 5.0 if you're wanting AWD Turbo why aren't you looking at a SHO ?

Maybe i'm biased because I own both, but I can tell you I've driven multiple Rexsti's it's no comparison. In fact I owned a Legacy GT because it was more impressive to me when you figure in the size of the car than the STi and I didn't feel like and elephant riding a mouse. (I'm a bigger guy)

Go test drive a SHO the cars will surprise you the power and smoothness is unlike anything i've ever driven. They're just ridiculous fast for the size they are on top of the options/awd/power potential/reliability multiple guys running high 11's with not very many mods.

Everytime I hop in my wifes SHO after driving my 5.0 I am reminded of how impressive the car is. I won't let my wife tune hers because truth be told it would kill my car.(unless we were doing like a 50 roll)

Just another option for ya to consider

jymboslice

Rookie
Established Member
If you want awd and a v8 get a bmw m-3... Much better then a scooby, not only that, bmw is discontinuing awd in the m-3 so you will need to grab a slighty used 1! Cost more but its a much better car!

Dont get a 335xi (m3's are only rwd). My dads 335i has been to the dealership over 10 times for problems and it only has 36k miles on it and it's a 2007 - bone stock. My mustang laughes at the power level it's at and I beat on it, never broke except for a bad o2 sensor. The 335i is stock, never been beat on and it breaks. Pathetic. Bmw's are nice but are overrated pieces of shit that are a total waste of money.

Get the 5.0. The sti's are kinda expensive for what you get.

KarbisSVT

Established Member
:dw:

You might be thinking of the 335Xi. M3 is RWD only. I drove one and STILL went with the 5.0. The BMW didn't make that much of an impression.

As for the STi vs. 5.0, I drove those too. Hell, I drove everything under the sun before I paid for the Mustang. The Evo's and STi's did NOT feel like 300+hp cars to me. My old, lightly modded SRT4 would've given them FITS! AWD? Well, I don't know about you,but I LOVE slinging this GT around! And after the Steeda springs, it handles 100% better. The AWD cars will always take the corners better. Also, I know from my old 2002 WRX, AWD launches are AWESOME! My GT just spins and spins and spins...............plus, I just had a driveshaft replaced under warranty. -1 for GT drivetrain! lol

One of the other things I noticed when driving all these cars is that the interiors SUCK on the Evo's! I'm going to spend $32K+ and get an interior that looks like it's out of a Hyundai Elantra? Uh, nope. The STi was a much better feel.

I can say I have seen friends mod them, and as stated, they do respond well but DAMN they want some serious money for HP! Now, if you have the money for mods and repairs, those Boxer motors are friggin' monsters! Sound pretty cool too with some exhaust!

The only thing I can add is go with the car that speaks to you. The one that you drive past and say "I gotta have you". After I drove M5's, GTi's, CTS-V's, Evo's, SS's, S4's, etc. I always knew that no matter what, if I was to buy something other than a Mustang, I wouldn't be happy. I knew I would be driving down the road in the S4, have a GT go by with some exhaust, and think "DAMN, shoulda bought one......." OP, go with the one that's going to make you envy the other driver when you see it on the street.

Yes I agree with you Tony, I don't want to drive an Sti and then see a GT pull up next to me and hear that V8 rumble.. second i hear it i will probably regret it. As much i love taking corners and handling, i do love the power of the 5.0 V8. Plus the 5.0 handles just as well as an M3 so I feel that the mustang might be the better choice for me. I do live in LA but Im not married with kids or anything, but do have a gf lol. But i do need space, i work on sets. And there are times where i need to take a bunch of gear to set. I do camera work and lighting. But if the mustangs rear seats fold down then i can live with that. I think if i had the Sti i would envy the GT that pulls up next to me. lol You have a good point on that.

Last edited:

KarbisSVT

Established Member
Dont get a 335xi (m3's are only rwd). My dads 335i has been to the dealership over 10 times for problems and it only has 36k miles on it and it's a 2007 - bone stock. My mustang laughes at the power level it's at and I beat on it, never broke except for a bad o2 sensor. The 335i is stock, never been beat on and it breaks. Pathetic. Bmw's are nice but are overrated pieces of shit that are a total waste of money.

Get the 5.0. The sti's are kinda expensive for what you get.

The 335is is actually another option.. But it is the last option..

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
It's a hard choice man. I've had both and love my 5.0 but I do miss my STi a lot. I had an 08 Hatch. I don't know why all these guys are talking about how slow they are. I ran 7.9's as a stage 2 car. Running about the same with a CAI/Exhaust/tune 5.0. Although I feel the 5.0 would outrun it in the quarter (1.6 60ft compared to a 1.9) I bet it would be closer than people think. My STi put down 320 to all wheels and weighed about 350-400 lbs less than my 5.0. You could put all kinds of good stuff in the back with room to spare and if you had the seats up 4 people fit in it very comfortably. If I had the money I'd have both.

Where the 5.0 is great it does lack in some daily driving things that the STi is great in. The worse the weather/road gets the better the STi gets. I could take turns at 40-60 mph in the rain and it would stick to the pavement like glue. The 5.0 would be in the ditch. haha Here is how I see it.

Want Big HP - 5.0 hands down. Modding the STi is about double the cost with less gain.

Sound - Either. Can't beat the 5.0 sound but the spooling turbo and boxer engine get close. It's not a Honda.

Reliability - Either. Subarus and 5.0s have a pretty good record. I never had problems with either.

Traction/Drive-ability - STi. The AWD system is amazing. 5.0, while it is the best handling Mustang I've ever had it's still a mustang = in the ditch. The STi pushes you as a driver. You find the limit of the Mustang pretty quickly but the STi pushes your bravery because the grip it has pushes your comfort zone.

Interior room/storage - STi hands down.

Fun - Either. Depends on if you have fun stomping on the gas, the V8 sound and feeling the low torque, tire melting power of the 5.0. You'll beat more things in the 5.0. Or if you think gut wrenching launches of the STi and handle on rails out of the box feeling is fun that might be for you.

Balls - 5.0. Period.

MPG - 5.0. My STi, even being a 4 banger got 16-18mpg.

Both are cool cars man. While I am a Mustang guy, and that's why I drive one, I'd have another STi in a heartbeat.

D.T.R

Established Member
^ while those are valid points, I've owned a miata... which was ridiculous around turns... it felt like you'd never lose control and there was no speed limits you can take turns at... BUT... how often do you drive through curves like that, and what not? I found myself trying to find roads to use the handling ... but not a whole lot was found. I rather enjoy the raw horsepower than the handling of a car.

Last edited:

KWClutch

Steve McQueen
Established Member
That's why I have the 5.0. They are both awesome. Hard to compare the two as apples to apples. What one is good at the other isn't and vise versa.

kingnut

Established Member
subaru-wrx-concept.jpg

might consider this one. but not a 13.

Laztug

Established Member
I have an 04 sti and a 2012 5.0. I enjoy both cars but if i had to choose one, it would be the 5.0.

Interior / ride quality is way better in the 5.0
MPG goes to the 5.0.
power 5.0
handling is better in the sti but its on fortuneauto coil overs.
traction in any weather is better on the sti.
The sti gets soooo much attention from the 4 / 6cyl crowd.
I guess it works different with the 5.0. maybe other v8s don't want to acknowledge a nice v8? or they just plain don't like it:shrug:

Resale value! The sti holds value very well.

th_20121220_124854.jpg

First day bringing the sti home. *lip is now fixed*

kingnut

Established Member
Im saying looks wise. 13 sti looks like some kind of transformers project. 14 at least looks kind of beefy.

stang8psi

Established Member
while I love my 2011 5L I always miss my 05 STI, the Sti handled like a cart on a roller coaster and it was so predictable to drive because you always knew how the handling cues were.. Power wise it laid out 320AWHP And 330AWTQ with intake, headers, full 3" exhaust, coilovers and tune. Ran 12.3-12.5's @114-116 depending on weather. The fuel mileage sucked but so does a full bolt on mustang with e85 or blower.

It's all about what your into, handling or blls out fast in a straight line.

Rharrower

Established Member
As an all around car enthusiast and a 5.0 owner, I would say go with what you enjoy driving more. Both are awesome cars, and a buddy had a sti and I loved it. I actually almost but an evo right before I pulled the trigger on the 5.0. Needless to say, either way I'm sure you will know which way to go once you're about to sign the papers.

Force Induced

Boost Addict
Established Member
My last car before the mustang was a 2012 evo, 5k later in mods car was around 340 awhp , while it had a good acceleration and was fun in the turns unfortunately I live where curvy roads are in short supply. I find that it takes a boat load of cash to make any of the AWD units fast and then they still aren't reliable.

I went with the mustang for a few reasons, it has a good engine and good stock hp and tq along with a refined handling setup for a live axle car which is the best if you plan on doing any kind of straight line pulls, which most street racing is straight line / also drag of course.

I hated my interior in the evo and thought the car was on the heavy side. If they made a AWD 2 door coupe around 3000lbs with 350hp stock that would be a force to be reckoned with. However after all the time and money spent in my evo i felt that I shouldve went mustang a long time ago for a few reasons, yes they are more common but parts are cheaper and the mod communities are larger so you have more support.

In the end its your money but I would vote hands down the mustang.

Regards,

Josh

Users who are viewing this thread