2014 TPMS Sensors - Replace or Not

Handlebar Moustache

Established Member
I have a 2014 GT500 and I just ordered a complete set of new tires. The stock TPMS sensors work fine, but they are now 7 years old and I'm guessing they are approaching the end of their battery life. Would you buy a new set and have them put in while the tires are off, or just leave them alone? If you think I should buy a new set, would you get them online and have a tire shop install them, or buy them directly from the tire shop? Just looking for some opinions.

Vinnie_B

"LIVE LIFE AT FULL THROTTLE"
Established Member
Premium Member
I have a 2014 GT500 and I just ordered a complete set of new tires. The stock TPMS sensors work fine, but they are now 7 years old and I'm guessing they are approaching the end of their battery life. Would you buy a new set and have them put in while the tires are off, or just leave them alone? If you think I should buy a new set, would you get them online and have a tire shop install them, or buy them directly from the tire shop? Just looking for some opinions.
The lithium ion batteries inside TPMS sensors may last anywhere from five to 10 years. Five to six years is a more typical lifespan for older TPMS sensors. TPMS sensors don't broadcast a continuous signal but only broadcast when the vehicle is in motion. Even then, the signal is intermittent to conserve battery life. So with that being said.....IMO if you have the money and you have the rims and tires off just replace them now. If you have a trust worthy tire shop installing the tires and they can supply and install new TPMS that would be most convenient option.

Last edited:

Rocketir

Established Member
If you do replace, make sure to get the "200 MPH" ones. Correct for the 2013-2014's.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
If you do replace, make sure to get the "200 MPH" ones. Correct for the 2013-2014's.

Yes, the 200mph 2013/14 oem valve stems are a nice upgrade. I recently installed them in a set of Alcoa's for my 2008, the oem 2013/14 Stainless stem is a nice look against the Alcoa Dura Bright finish........

..............also to mention, the torque spec. on the 2013/14 GT500 valve stem is 71 in.lb. vs. about 27 in.lbs. on regular bolt-in alum. valve stems.......

R

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
Are the two types of sensors interchangeable?

If you are asking about using a stem type sensor in an original band sensor car, yes, as long as the stem sensors are compatible with the earlier car...........Both newer and older are 315Mhz but the data bit rate changed for the newer cars, like in 2010 or 2011, so the newer oem sensors will not communicate with the older cars.

I bought stem mount sensors for an earlier Mustang and installed them on the 2013/14 stems........

R

Willie

Established Member
I need to replace all my sensors and wanted to know if I had any options. The original Ford bands are one time use only and to have to buy four worm-style bands at ~$20 each is not my idea of fun...

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
I need to replace all my sensors and wanted to know if I had any options. The original Ford bands are one time use only and to have to buy four worm-style bands at ~$20 each is not my idea of fun...

I would not hesitate to reuse my bands, the TPMS holders may need some new double stick (if they were to come lose), but buying new sensors and clipping them into the existing TPMS holders and reusing the bands to secure them did not appear to be one-time use to me? ................Now the vendors that sell them.......I am sure they say one-time use, they want to sell replacement parts........

R

Willie

Established Member
The bands on mine are original as I've never replaced any of the sensors. They are not worm style nor do they have any adjustment. They must be cut off.

I have replaced these same sensors on other Mustangs and had to buy the bands, basically a huge hose clamp and they cost about $20 - $23 each. And a word to the wise for anyone needing to replace: One side (marked) must be installed towards the outer wheel side.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The bands on mine are original as I've never replaced any of the sensors. They are not worm style nor do they have any adjustment. They must be cut off.

I have replaced these same sensors on other Mustangs and had to buy the bands, basically a huge hose clamp and they cost about $20 - $23 each. And a word to the wise for anyone needing to replace: One side (marked) must be installed towards the outer wheel side.

I have never seen any that are not worm style bands, but all of my only experience is with Shelby installs on Alcoa's, nothing else.......

R

Users who are viewing this thread