2015 GT winter review: first drive in the snow.

Branhammer

Established Member
I got up at 5:00 AM for work today, looked out the window and holy shit did it snow last night. I was a little concerned about driving the new car in the snow, especially with me still not being quite as familiar with it yet as I was with my old SN95 (driven for 10 years). My entire street was covered with nearly a foot of snow when I left. Backing out of the driveway, I realized that one of my neighbors was coming down the road and so I had to stop backing up to let him pass. I ended up stopping with my rear tires in the gutter where the street meets my driveway. "Shit." The last time that happened in the SN95, I got stuck. But the '15 had no issues at all. It resumed backing up as if it was a hot summer day.

I started in 2nd gear each time I had to stop and go, still with no issues at all, and once I was on the interstate, I stayed in the right lane, like anyone in a Mustang in the snow should, and kept it at about 45 mph or less. During my entire drive, I did not feel one slip of the tires. There was no point that I did not feel in complete control of the car. Even when changing lanes and hitting the heavier snow between lanes, the car pulled right through and stayed straight (of course, I still let off the gas while changing lanes). Once I got to work, the parking lot had not been plowed at all. I pulled right in and parked like it was nothing, and the car is not stuck in the parking spot like the old '96 would've been.

Oh, and as usual, on the way to work I passed two wrecks. Typical dumb asses in 4wd trucks (of course) on the side of the interstate. Probably the same douche bags that park on the lines or take up two spaces with there rear end hanging 4 feet out of the parking spot and then say they just didn't care because "they drives a big truck and they does what they wawnts," because they'd rather come off as an asshole than admit the truth, which is that they bought a huge ****ing truck to look manly, when in fact, they lack the skill to even park it, which makes them bigger women than Kaitlyn Jenner driving a Prius. But I digress...

Overall, I give the new GT and the all-season Pirellis an "A" in the snow considering what this car is and what it's intended for. So if you have one as a DD and you're worried about the first snow of the year, don't be. This car handles it every bit as well as my old 1996 Blazer did. Just drive like you've seen snow before and you'll be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread