2015 irs

swedensky

Established Member
Not sure if anyone has posted something like this...

When the 2015 comes out, for all of you that are pretty sure you're buying one and you want to swap to solid rear axle - I want your IRS. (Assuming they will bolt up - long shot on a whole new chassis I know)

Keeping $$ in hand.

So who plans on ditching the IRS??

Voltwings

Established Member
Not sure if anyone has posted something like this...

When the 2015 comes out, for all of you that are pretty sure you're buying one and you want to swap to solid rear axle - I want your IRS. (Assuming they will bolt up - long shot on a whole new chassis I know)

Keeping $$ in hand.

So who plans on ditching the IRS??

New platform is supposed to be 7" narrower, so im not sure it will fit.

Voltwings

Established Member
I have not heard that. I heard the car will be lighter, but 7 inches narrower? That sounds like an awful lot?

Those were some of the numbers being thrown around. Reducing the front and rear bumper over hangs for as much as a 15" reduction in length, as well as around 7" narrower.

Keep in mind, those figures are measured from the furthest points on the car, with how far the bumpers over hang on each end, they could easily remove like 8-10 inches without effecting engine bay or cabin space, same with the width reduction. The rear fenders are arguably the widest point on a 5.0, so if those go inwards, the axles will be shorter as a result.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Those were some of the numbers being thrown around. Reducing the front and rear bumper over hangs for as much as a 15" reduction in length, as well as around 7" narrower.

Keep in mind, those figures are measured from the furthest points on the car, with how far the bumpers over hang on each end, they could easily remove like 8-10 inches without effecting engine bay or cabin space, same with the width reduction. The rear fenders are arguably the widest point on a 5.0, so if those go inwards, the axles will be shorter as a result.

think about it…sn95 and s197 are both just under 74" in width…..your saying it would go down to 59"? Doubtful….the center console is 6-8" and even if it was that much your talking a VERY cramped space….compact style

just looked up the Smart car….61"

Voltwings

Established Member
think about it…sn95 and s197 are both just under 74" in width…..your saying it would go down to 59"? Doubtful….the center console is 6-8" and even if it was that much your talking a VERY cramped space….compact style

just looked up the Smart car….61"

The way i was looking at it makes sense, outside of the fender to outside of the fender... The way you're putting it makes more sense haha that is quite a bit.

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
The way i was looking at it makes sense, outside of the fender to outside of the fender... The way you're putting it makes more sense haha that is quite a bit.

lol…the 74" is fender to fender at its widest point as is the 61"

RTD

Established Member
This was discussed in another thread. There's basically no way they can achieve the rumored 15 inch length reduction, 6.5 inch width reduction, and 400 lb weight reduction without ending up with something the size of a BRZ which from the spy pics we know isn't happening. It was just another stupid unfounded rumor. Best case they achieve a reduction of 3-4 inches in length, 1-2 inches in width, and 150-200 lbs in weight (even that is doubtful as any savings due to lighter materials or decreased size will be made up for by the heavier IRS, I'm guessing it'll weight about the same as an S197 maybe a hair lighter).

BMR Tech

I think it will have about a 3-4" shorter wheel base, and I think it will be about 2-3" narrower, at the most.

As for the IRS....they have come a long way. Our IRS Camaro cuts 1.3 sixties without thinking about it, on a Drag Radial....our customers in the GM world are cutting 1.2 sixties..

Then you have Mark's 6-Second IRS Vette....

If done properly, the IRS is the best solution for a production car, with the enthusiast in mind. The downfall for us, is, our top selling components are all catered to a SRA.

If there will be a chance of the new S550 running a SRA, we should be at the forefront of making it happen. ;)

jes_csx

Established Member
Yes, unless Ford is playing us with some sort of monumental conspiracy, the available pics and inside info point to lower, slightly shorter and wider with the same wheelbase. Think S197, but more tightly wrapped with some fat cut off. I think the lower sleeker roofline and coke bottle shape is contributing to the smaller appearance. I also think the IRS put back on the weight that has been cut, but the upside is better weight distribution. I was hopping for something closer to a BRZ, but its just too unrealistic. Genesis coupe sized is more like it, and that is about 6" shorter. I think it will be a very impressive car regardless and I plan on getting one.

Voltwings

Established Member
well damn... sounds like im just holding out for an interior update then haha. May take Ford up on those '14 rebates.

jes_csx

Established Member
Just an interior update?
Hardly.
Entirely new platform with greatly improved suspension in both front and back. Same wheelbase etc does not mean just a re-skin. Its likely the 5.0 will only be slightly tweaked, and the MT82 has had its QC issues address, but other then that the new car will be a big improvement over the s197 in every way… including feel and ride.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
Just an interior update?
Hardly.
Entirely new platform with greatly improved suspension in both front and back. Same wheelbase etc does not mean just a re-skin. Its likely the 5.0 will only be slightly tweaked, and the MT82 has had its QC issues address, but other then that the new car will be a big improvement over the s197 in every way… including feel and ride.

The transmission was the only thing i was really concerned about. As someone who enjoys modding cars, i had every intention of putting my own suspension and power upgrades as i saw fit, a smaller lighter car would have been superb. As of now, i could care less about IRS, so the interior is really the only thing the S550 has to offer me it seems... but it does look VERY nice from the pics in the other thread. Time will tell i guess.

Users who are viewing this thread