2016 Shelby GT350 is R&T's Performance Car of the Year

jtfx6552

Established Member
I don't think the AMG fits in this group of cars at all. It's sheer HP probably saved it on the track times because there are quite a few straights on that track to really open up the speed. (truth be told, I hate the way the AMG GT looks)

Neither does the Bently. I'd have preferred to see more Porsches and BMWs in the test, but I guess they didn't debut in the right model year.

mike.s

Established Member
been curious to see how the M4 would've done in the group. but hats off to ford, that is some serious company to be in and to win it hands down shows how good and balanced a car they built. good time to be a ford fan. dammit i want one!!

bpmurr

Established Member
I don't think the AMG fits in this group of cars at all. It's sheer HP probably saved it on the track times because there are quite a few straights on that track to really open up the speed. (truth be told, I hate the way the AMG GT looks)

The AMG GT is a beautiful car. It certainly belongs here as it's Mercedes answer to the 911.

Last edited:

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
The AMG GT is a beautiful car. It certainly belongs here as it's Mercedes answer to the 911.

Sure, if you're a fan of the insanely long nose for no reason and non-existent rear end. I didn't like the styling of the SLR McLaren or the SLS either. I'd pick a Porsche over that thing any day of the week.

Speaking of Porsche, I'm surprised the GT3RS wasn't included here. Not different enough from last year's winning GT3?

hognutz

Established Member

all of it 503hp??? it has less hp than the GT350 and runs 11.3 at 125.

now looks and cost people can smack talk that car all day long but in terms of numbers it lays them down. I can't affoard one but for a Mercedes to handle that well is crazy. they used to be the HP without handling company. for them this car is really kind of low HP. I remember looking at a used SL65 and they were like 630 but weighed over 4k and was nothing insane in the handling department.

Last edited:

krt22

Established Member
all of it 503hp??? it has less hp than the GT350 and runs 11.3 at 125.

There is something very fishy about that 1/4 mile time, no way does a 36XXlb car run that time with that trap with only 503hp.

Voltwings

Established Member
Its a turbo car, probably has a fat torque band and very broad power curve. There's more to it than peak numbers.

krt22

Established Member
The V10 the viper and the SC V8 in the Z06 also have wide power bands, more peak power/trq, and less weight. Both trapping ~125.

Voltwings

Established Member
True... i guess it comes down to a slick transmission and / or gearing? I dont find it totally unbelievable, but sure, i dont doubt the trap could / should be lower.

hognutz

Established Member
There is something very fishy about that 1/4 mile time, no way does a 36XXlb car run that time with that trap with only 503hp.

well it has a 7 speed dtc box doesn't it. I mean when they put those in m3 with 415hp v8 it dumped them in the low 12's and it had no torque curve. this motor has a couple hair dryers on it.

That car has blow me away in every article I have read. I laps right with the Z28, the GT350r, some of the expensive porches. now that being said it is a ton of money and looks wise same with a 911 it misses me a bit.

here is a 127mph vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAkzWqnpGzM

Last edited:

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
well it has a 7 speed dtc box doesn't it. I mean when they put those in m3 with 415hp v8 it dumped them in the low 12's and it had no torque curve. this motor has a couple hair dryers on it.

That car has blow me away in every article I have read. I laps right with the Z28, the GT350r, some of the expensive porches. now that being said it is a ton of money and looks wise same with a 911 it misses me a bit.

here is a 127mph vid

That car has a RENNtech tune. There's gonna be a night and day difference between that car and a stock one.

krt22

Established Member

here is a 127mph vid

I agree its fast, I just don't think its actually rated at 507hp. If Mercedes is like BMW, then they likely dont submit their engines for SAE cert, so what they claim can be much different than what the motor is actually outputting, just like the M3/M4 turbo 6.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I agree its fast, I just don't think its actually rated at 507hp. If Mercedes is like BMW, then they likely dont submit their engines for SAE cert, so what they claim can be much different than what the motor is actually outputting, just like the M3/M4 turbo 6.

Pretty sure every manufacturer selling cars in the U.S. has to have their engines SAE certified these days.

hognutz

Established Member

ohh I got you yeah they are a tick underrated. they dyno at like 470-475 at the wheels I think. so they are probably more like 525-530.

westwest888

GT350R convert
Established Member
ohh I got you yeah they are a tick underrated. they dyno at like 470-475 at the wheels I think. so they are probably more like 525-530.

Here we go. Dynojet reads high. A mustang dynamometer will probably read it right around 455. The whole internet thinks every car they like is underrated for indefensible reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread