2017 EcoBoost Raptor Talk!

TorchMach

Established Member
What's up Fellas,

I have a question for the people on here that know more about engines then I do (which isn't much , so maybe all of you)lol.

The current Raptor has a 6.2L V8 making 411HP, the new one will have a 3.5L Twin Turbo V6 making 450HP (article below)
http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...raptor-will-make-450-horses-from-ecoboost-v6/

Here is my question, when off-roading we almost never have complete traction if any, which doesn't matter to the V8 it keeps kicking and screaming, no power loss. So from my limited understanding the new V6 is great on paper, BUT don't turbo's need some kind of load to build boost/power? Example: If I'm in the sand and put the hammer down and no traction is achieved, won't I only be relying in the power output of the V6? Basically if there is no load on the truck, will it still make the same power?

Again, I'm not entirely accurate or sure of what I am saying which is why I'm asking. I feel like the EcoBoost won't actually do good off-roading but will do great on road.

Thoughts?

I also know there is a Raptor section, but feel a very limited amount of people will see it there.

Thanks

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
These motors have zero turbo lag if that's what you're wondering. It will put the power down just the same as the 6.2L. I would actually prefer the 6.2 in the Raptor though.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
inb4 people crying that it's not a v8

Last edited:

TorchMach

Established Member
These motors have zero turbo lag if that's what you're wondering. It will put the power down just the same as the 6.2L. I would actually prefer the 6.2 in the Raptor though.

Gearing and properly sized turbos alleviate that.

Pretty much a non issue today.

I see, so in you're opinions it would do the same under load as the same with it? I'm just hoping it can put the power down the same as the current Raptor.

blk02edge

Established Member
Oh it will work just fine and build boost, that motor worked great in the baja 1000 and lots of sand cars use turbo motors

Lightning Lad

Established Member
I love the classic sound of a v8 just as much as the next guy but I also love high efficiency motors. That being said, I welcome the new raptor.

VenomGTX

Awesome SVT Poster
Established Member
I'm excited to see how the new 10-speed transmission will perform. That ought to do a pretty good job of keeping the engine in its power band.

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm excited to see how the new 10-speed transmission will perform. That ought to do a pretty good job of keeping the engine in its power band.

+1. I'm curious about the 10 speed transmission.

I'm ok with the 3.5TT for the engine, but the 10 speed is my only concern.

Is this a transmission Ford will be making a big switch to? Diesels will get it? Replacing the 6r80 over time?

I'm looking at current Raptors, but with the prices/mileage being high, might wait out for a 17...Will be tough though.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
I'm looking at current Raptors, but with the prices/mileage being high, might wait out for a 17...Will be tough though.

I traded my 13 Raptor for a 15 F150 Lariat for an in between truck and love it!

To the OP.... The EcoBeast Raptor is going to rape the outgoing 6.2 in every way possible except noise output.. If Noise is your thing just go buy an 85 Chevy and put glass packs on it!...

TorchMach

Established Member
+1. I'm curious about the 10 speed transmission.

I'm ok with the 3.5TT for the engine, but the 10 speed is my only concern.

Is this a transmission Ford will be making a big switch to? Diesels will get it? Replacing the 6r80 over time?

From what I've read they plan on putting it on most of the trucks, the Raptor is just the first to get it.

I plan on selling my 13" around January if you can hold out lol

Venom351R

Established Member
I'm looking at getting a Raptor next year when my STI is paid off. Im stuck between getting the 17 model or a used one. Not that I cant decide but it will depend on if I can sell my Cobra or not. If I do sell it I'm going to try and get into the new 17, if not I'll look for a 6.2 that was traded in.

The TT V6 is not a concern to me, I would be happy with either truck

Venom351R

Established Member
only number Ive seen thrown out is a base price of $50,000 but nothing confirmed through Ford. Wasn't the previous raptors base price at 45K?

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
I'll pay just about whatever. I just want to know final specs and when I can preorder one.

SnakeBoostE85

whipped and korned
Established Member
Its about time! Throw that piece of shit, thirsty, unbuilt 6.2L V8 in the freakin garbage and don't look back. Especially for me being at high altitude, it would be the same as driving a 5.4L at sea level... screw that!!

I just don't get the hang up on the V8... is it the sound? The Eco is a more powerful, flexible, and efficient platform.

Its either an Eco or a Diesel... Normally aspirated V8's are shit.

The price point BETTER not change either... the 6.2's were WAY over priced for what your getting in the power train. You can buy a fully loaded F-250 power stroke cheaper than a raptor.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread