2017 Ford GT vs. 2005 Ford GT

4a7191a

Established Member
Older one for sure with me.
Plenty of parts for the 5.4 and if you want it to be turbo charged then that's an option as well.
5.4 on boost is amazing and likely alot more reliable than the ecoboost in the 1000fwhp range.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I still prefer the looks of the 05/06 but I'm absolutely in love with homologation cars.

Tough choice but I would probably take the 17.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I'll take the new car, it just looks bad ass and looks like no other car. The Older one is great and all, but its a retro of the original GT40.
Don't care about the motor, I have a v10 and love the sound it makes. I have room for v6 love too. And yes, still love v8s.

CSCOBRA03

Established Member
Anyone who would take the 05/06 over the new one aside from price is nuts. The 17 is far and away a better car in every way possible. Not saying I would not have an 05/06 or would ever turn one down, but you can not compare these two cars against each other.

I agree 100%, that said I will probably never own either one. How ever I did drive a 2005 Ford GT, and it was amazing! I also had a ride in a 05 Gt that was modified for road coarse use 175 mph on the front strait at Willow Springs, it handled like a go-kart.

Mach1Stang

1994 327 Stroker
Established Member
Anyone who would take the 05/06 over the new one aside from price is nuts. The 17 is far and away a better car in every way possible. Not saying I would not have an 05/06 or would ever turn one down, but you can not compare these two cars against each other.

Its not about comparing each car to each other. New is typically better. But if you had all the money (Treynor money), and already had an amazing stable, but only had room for one Ford GT, would you buy a 05/06 or a 2017?

I personally love the new one, but I'd still buy the 05/06. The sound is second to none. The ability to add a whipple or turbo set up and sniff 1000 HP in a manual super/muscle car just sounds amazing. I also prefer the styling on the inside and outside of the 05/06.

Not taking anything away from the 17, but if it was my money, I'd buy a 05-06 GT.

sono

Established Member
The v6 looks to be the weight choice for handling. I just can't help feeling like I'm being told over and over that 6 is better than 8 from Ford.
Also I expected more weight savings from all carbon fiber. 3200 lb's seem a lil heavy.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
The v6 looks to be the weight choice for handling. I just can't help feeling like I'm being told over and over that 6 is better than 8 from Ford.
Also I expected more weight savings from all carbon fiber. 3200 lb's seem a lil heavy.

They had the weight down to sub 3k, but when they tested it with some better equipment they found that it performed equal, if not better with a few more pounds than when it was lighter so they allowed it to gain some pounds for that reason.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
They had the weight down to sub 3k, but when they tested it with some better equipment they found that it performed equal, if not better with a few more pounds than when it was lighter so they allowed it to gain some pounds for that reason.
I wish they would have gone the direction of the Huracan performante with their active aero, but to be honest, that was a million dollar idea and I don't think anyone even considered it aside from them.

I love that design.

DBK

Re-retired
Established Member
They have totally different appeals. The 05/06 is a very capable, and very comfortable car. It's just relaxed in everything it does. Super quiet from the factory, relatively softly sprung, ultra long gears. You can basically set it and forget it in 3rd gear from 30 to 130. Rock solid at 200 mph. Chassis never feels overwhelmed by adding more power. Could get creative with packing and do 2000 miles in a week without breaking a sweat. The only real weakness from the factory on the 05/06 was the tires, which were not great. Basically bullet proof reliability as well. Still looks like they could sell it today IMO.

The 2017 feels like a completely different car. It's very loud, raw, and direct. Everything about it is much sharper than the 2005. Steering is extremely direct. It is not a cruiser, though the suspension is amazingly compliant even on shitty roads. It's just like you are hardwired into the car. Design is an all-timer. Makes an amazing cacophony of noises too. The exhaust wouldn't be what I would describe as "pretty" but it is ferocious, and you hear all kinds of turbo noise, mechanical whirring and clicking, etc. Fans sound like a Harrier taking off. The suspension is really trick and useful, especially being able to instantly pop the front end going 20 mph. I expect this car to have questionable overall reliability though. Or at least par with the Euro brands (excluding LambAudi).

I got out of giving someone a ride in the 17 and into an 06 and it was like "holy shit is this a Lexus? And what are you doing so far away over there?"

If I had to pick one, it's a no brainer that it would be the 2017, but the race car DNA which you feel every single second you are in the car is more my bag.

blk02edge

Established Member
Considering I'd never DD any gt40/GT I'll take the loud obnoxious one please.

Users who are viewing this thread