2017 Fusion Sport

blackbolt2003

Established Member
I'm looking at a black 2017 with low miles this afternoon. Does anyone have experience with these? I did a little reading on fusionsportforums.com and found the oil pans can be leaky and there is a recall on brake lines which can rupture/or cause a soft pedal. Other than than that the 2.7 L ecoboost seems to be a solid platform.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Have one since new. 84k currently. Pretty minimal issues though I did have the RDU replaced under warranty - when you drive it listen for any grinding, bearings sounds ect. They can go bad.

There was also a reprogramming of the ACM for a battery issue.

It is not an Audi S4. Car understeers. It is a very nice looking daily driver. The magnetic suspension makes for a nice ride and all the windows are acoustic glass so it’s fairly quiet inside.

Stock tuning leaves a lot to be desired. They dialed this car back a lot in the trans and power delivery. With a 93 tune 13.1 on a hot day and upgrade the tiny intercooler and it will go high 12s consistently. I went 12.6@108 in the 1/4.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Never had an issue with the oil pan. On my 2016 edge sport it’s about to get oil pan #3.

Dice roll.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Have one since new. 84k currently. Pretty minimal issues though I did have the RDU replaced under warranty - when you drive it listen for any grinding, bearings sounds ect. They can go bad.

There was also a reprogramming of the ACM for a battery issue.

It is not an Audi S4. Car understeers. It is a very nice looking daily driver. The magnetic suspension makes for a nice ride and all the windows are acoustic glass so it’s fairly quiet inside.

Stock tuning leaves a lot to be desired. They dialed this car back a lot in the trans and power delivery. With a 93 tune 13.1 on a hot day and upgrade the tiny intercooler and it will go high 12s consistently. I went 12.6@108 in the 1/4.
Surprised that with a 93 tune they only run 13's. Traction limited? heat soak?

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Never had an issue with the oil pan. On my 2016 edge sport it’s about to get oil pan #3.

Dice roll.
Our 2015 Edge Sport lost an engine due to an oil pan leak. Ford replaced it under warranty though so we couldnt really argue. Even set us up with a pretty sick Explorer for a rental car during the replacement period as the engines were on backorder.

Loved that car so much. On an Unleashed 93 tune it was just an animal out of the hole. Sleeper quick if you caught anyone slow off a light. Reminded me of my old Typhoon with the "squat and thrust".

Kevinbonds

Established Member
Thanks for the info!
I won't ever buy another non mustang ford product. We bought a brand-new top of the line 2017 Escape Eco boost. Had it serviced only at the dealer, and it ended up with the casting issue on the block that caused it to leak coolant into the engine and kill the motor. Happened at 61K miles, just out of the powertrain warranty and ford told me to take a hike, my model was not in the "TSB" range.

We even had documentation that I had complained of it using coolant etc prior to the expiration of the powertrain warranty and the dealer said it was normal. Spent a month trying to get the boat anchor fixed by ford and they would not budge..

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
My neighbor had his turbo seals blow out of his Fusion at 80K miles while cruising on the freeway. He was running a tune, ran mostly highway miles, and never let his turbos cool off after running.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Surprised that with a 93 tune they only run 13's. Traction limited? heat soak?

Intercooler is small car heat soaks. Intercooler upgrade solves that. That said the day I ran 93 tune only it was in the 90s.

blackbolt2003

Established Member
I did purchase the Fusion Sport. I am so far impressed by the powertrain. It pulls really hard in the mid to upper RPM range. I'm wondering if it has a tune installed. Is there a way to easily differentiate between tuned and non-tuned? I have Forscan if that helps.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I did purchase the Fusion Sport. I am so far impressed by the powertrain. It pulls really hard in the mid to upper RPM range. I'm wondering if it has a tune installed. Is there a way to easily differentiate between tuned and non-tuned? I have Forscan if that helps.
Not sure but the Edge felt very powerful in stock form also. Yank 400+ lbs off it and im sure that Fusion even in stock form is a beast.

Call Livernois or Unleashed and grab a tune. You wont be sorry.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I won't ever buy another non mustang ford product. We bought a brand-new top of the line 2017 Escape Eco boost. Had it serviced only at the dealer, and it ended up with the casting issue on the block that caused it to leak coolant into the engine and kill the motor. Happened at 61K miles, just out of the powertrain warranty and ford told me to take a hike, my model was not in the "TSB" range.

We even had documentation that I had complained of it using coolant etc prior to the expiration of the powertrain warranty and the dealer said it was normal. Spent a month trying to get the boat anchor fixed by ford and they would not budge..

How long ago did this situation occur? Did you speak to an attorney?

Kevinbonds

Established Member
How long ago did this situation occur? Did you speak to an attorney?
This happened about two years ago. I did not talk to an attorney, I became so disenfranchised, I just wanted to ditch the car. I was on some forums and saw allot of this with escaped and the 2.0 Ecoboost and the head casting issues causing the leaking of the coolant. and the consensus was Ford was ****ing over everyone with a 2.0.

We had paid it off and intended to run it for a very long time, we barely got six years out of it. and just dumped the car and bought a Mazda Cx-9 for my wife, and it's been bulletproof.

PhoenixM3

Hello Kitty Slayer
Established Member
Premium Member
Do either of the tunes mentioned adversely affect long term reliability?
I had an Unleashed tune. I can't blame the tune, but I have a dead #5 cylinder. Motor needs to be pulled just to break the cam chains to pull the head. This happened just out of warranty....

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
This happened about two years ago. I did not talk to an attorney, I became so disenfranchised, I just wanted to ditch the car. I was on some forums and saw allot of this with escaped and the 2.0 Ecoboost and the head casting issues causing the leaking of the coolant. and the consensus was Ford was ****ing over everyone with a 2.0.

We had paid it off and intended to run it for a very long time, we barely got six years out of it. and just dumped the car and bought a Mazda Cx-9 for my wife, and it's been bulletproof.

10-4. Just for future reference, in SC I can often help get issues like that resolved.

Users who are viewing this thread