2017 Gt 350 hood flutter .

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
Gentlemen.

I have a friend who ran his 350 on a track ( 1st time out) I run my 14 500 on, and upon hitting around 100 mph the rear of his hood began to flutter. As the speeds increased to around 145 mph the hood began to flutter more than an inch. Wind was not a head wind.

I have a 500 that hits around 158-162 mph on that section of track and flutter does not occur.
Both have aluminum OEM hoods.

His tires are balanced and steering wheel was without vibration.

Anyone else have this happen with their 350s'

Any thoughts?

Thanks

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Just adjust the hood bumper stops up a little bit, and it'll hold it tight.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Interesting as I've tracked at 145mph and didn't see any flutter. A bit of lift but no flutter. If the adjustment mentioned above won't work Aerocatch will.

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
Aerocatch would involve putting holes in the OEM hood. Probably not a first choice.

The bump stops are adjusted properly. I'm going to guess there is a high pressure inside the engine bay and a low pressure at the base of the front windshield that causes this flutter at above 110+ mph at this point. Causing some sort of "lift".

The high temps that day around 100 degrees, extra pressure with heat expansion in engine bay not being able to escape fast enough. Cannot run track with this issue unresolved.

JTFX, at what speeds does your flutter? Was it a hot day?

Thanks Gents

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
The hood problem may be isolated. ?? It is a concern, I do run track.

I have an opportunity to purchase a none dealer offered R version with 12 miles on it. I will go look at it on 7/31/17.
MSRP is 68k. I'll pay MSRP (as would anybody) but will not pay added value.

Not sure what the deal is yet, it was a brief text from a guy at Ford that a car was available.

Established Member
Just adjust the hood bumper stops up a little bit, and it'll hold it tight.

-Agreed, mine used to flutter at speeds over 130 and finally (after a year) I adjusted the rubber stops a few turns and flutter is gone :)

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
Ok, I'll tell my friend to try that. I figure adjust up to put pressure on the hood when closed. Right?

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
The opportunity has come up to purchase a new 17' 350R for 68365 with a pretty small up charge from what I'm seeing online.

Magnetic with black stripes.

I have to go see it i guess.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
I guess some of you guys don't watch motor sports racing. The hood flutter on those cars would make you have nightmares at night. You're worrying over a non-issue.

SCALECRAFT

Established Member
With all due respect..........

Track safety and liability is paramount for us weekend racers. Not all of us just watch racing. Some of us do it. Some good, some not as good. But still our cars should be at 100%. And I watch a lot of racing too. F1, Moto GP.

My 2014 Gt 500 at 160 mph on a track has zero hood flutter. This is what I am comparing my friends 350 hood flutter to at 130. The hood flutter also puts additional stress on the front latch. Imagine that failing.

Also, the concern is flutter causing metal fatigue at the hood hinges after repeated use. Again, the hoods are aluminum. Track use will find the weak link pretty quick and violently if neglected.

Not a comparison to composite race cars components. Or the latches/pins/straps those dedicated to track use cars have to secure panels,hoods, lids, windshields, ect.....

Last edited:

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Still being paranoid. Spending too much time watching a fluttering hood instead of watching for your brake points. How often does a properly closed hood latch fail? Not very.

Sent from my STV100-1 using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Tomster

Established Member
The flutter is unnerving, I'll give you that, but it will stay put. On the track, I've had it into the 160+ range and yes it bounces around quite a bit. However after 3 days, 4 sessions a day of seeing it, it becomes old hat and you learn to trust that the hood isn't going to go flying off.

JimT

Established Member
I would look at something else. Since this flutter does not appear universal, 1. Adjust Hood Stops. 2. Check the bracing for the hood on its underside (engine side). This bracing is usually separated from the outer hood panel by a foam like glue. This, glue is placed in only certain areas of the brace. Many times this glue will separate and allow for flutter of the unsupported portion of the hood.
Just a thought...

Sent from my iPad using svtperformance.com

Users who are viewing this thread