2017 ZL1 Test Drive

RangerDLA

Established Member
So yesterday I took a 6 speed manual 2017 ZL1 for a test drive. I've been curious to see if it was as good as what I've seen and read. Make no mistake about it, it's fast and handles well. My problem with this car is that the PTM does all of the work for you (I had it in track mode). I didn't like the rev match and I didn't feel connected to the road. The salesman allowed me to open it up on the nearby toll road, but it didn't make me giggle like a schoolgirl like my Shelby does. NOW, let me say this, I've completely redone my suspension with all BMR components and I'm pushing about 750 to the crank, so I wasn't expecting the ZL1 to out perform what I have. I was however looking for it to make it worth me trading and modding again, but in my opinion it's not. Our Shelbys are very special and one of a kind. There is a rawness to them that requires skill to really handle them correctly. I think the ZL1 looks good despite other's opinions. Lastly, the interior of that car is cramped and my head was barely two inches from the ceiling. I'm 6'6 245 and I could drive my Shelby across the country without issue. The ZL1 also has completely digital readouts, the speedometer, tachometer, everything, and I didn't like it at all. I also felt like I was sitting on the car and not in it and holy crap, the blind spots are horrible. Anyways, it's a nice car, but not for me. The drive home in my Shelby just confirmed that it is an amazing car and I'm not parting with it unless Ford gets off their ass and blows our socks off with it's successor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chris1badL

Established Member
Good review, thanks for posting. Curious - have the drove a 15+ Mustang at all to compare the interior room?
Never drove a ZL1 but I recently sold my Whipple 2016 GT for my hellcat challenger. The IRS is the new mustang is amazing and I do miss it. You def can't push the hellcat like you could the mustang.

chris1badL

Established Member
Why in your opinion can't you push the Hellcat?

It's a big car. In corners it wants to push real bad. Even with the big brakes and active suspension I would not trust it like the IRS. I know 2 guys that have ate the ditch or wall from hitting corners to fast as the mustang takes the same with ease. Hellcat is a torque monster that loves to stay straight

WVTrakPak

Established Member
I would have needed a five hour shower after that drive to not feel so dirty....and I would never have told anyone.....

Thanks for sharing.

02GTKB

Nolimits
Established Member
Thanks for the review, alway was curious how the new ZL1 was in performance etc..When we owned both a '12GT500 and '13 ZL1, the interior of my 500 was so far ahead in terms of fit and finish and looks..

RangerDLA

Established Member
Thanks for the review, alway was curious how the new ZL1 was in performance etc..When we owned both a '12GT500 and '13 ZL1, the interior of my 500 was so far ahead in terms of fit and finish and looks..

I haven't driven a 2013, but I doubt the 2017 interior is that much better. The all-digital gauges and cramped interior were just terrible. One thing I didn't mention was the front windshield doesn't seem tall enough, it's like the windshield is squinting or something. Our windshields are like a Winnebago compared to that car. Lastly, it also seems like it sits higher off the ground than looking at it from the exterior.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread