2020 vs 2013 Shelby GT500 Comparision: An Owners Perspective.

Which GT500 is your favorite?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tezz500

Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!
Established Member
Having owned a 2008, 2013, 2014 and now a 2020 Shelby GT500, I thought I might offer SVTP some insight into the differences between the Model years, specifically the 2013-14(S197) and 2020-22 (S550.)

I've broken the observations and reviews down into sections for ease of sifting through the information.

Prologue:

The S197 dates back to 2004. Over its 10-year life span, the 2013 saw improvements over the previous model years that brought the S197 body style to its Pinnacle. Some may say it was the last "True Muscle Car" style Mustang.

The S550 brought about newer technology and refinements that were very much due for the Mustang line which made it a more complete all-around vehicle in my opinion.

But does that mean it's a "Better" vehicle? That's the question most pose when deciding to buy their ideal high-performance Mustang.

We will delve into this from an owner's perspective. I've broken the observations and reviews down into sections for ease of sifting through the information.

Build Quality:

The S197 was to put it bluntly, Cheap. Body fitment was substandard, the interior was made of plastic and lacked any real sense of modernization or wow factor. The S550 offers a much needed boost to the Shelby in the quality department. Its upgraded ergonomics and body fitment are far superior to the S197. As it should be right? We're talking about a car that started its journey in 2004/5. It's a natural progression that the 2020 S550 Shelby would be a higher quality product.

Interior:

As stated in the quality section, the interior of the S197 GT500 is "Nostalgic" to put it in friendly terms. The gauges take you back to the 70s, the center console reminds you of the foxbody, the back seats remind you of the SN95 body style... It was meant to give you that Retro feel for sure. The Recaro seats in the S197 are far more forgiving than those in the S550. If you're a fatty, better opt for the luxury boy seats and steer clear of the Recaros in the S550.

The S550s interior is by no means a Bentley. Keep in mind that its still a Mustang. All be it a ridiculously over priced version of America's Favorite pony car... It is STILL a MUSTANG. The interior is NICE. But not overly plush or refined. I would call it adequate for a top of the line Mustang.

Exterior:

The 2013 Shelby was purpose built for straight line 200+mph goals that ford set when developing the project. The exterior design certainly shows that desire to create the fastest factory pony car ever to roll off the line. It's sleek, gives you that OG Muscle car look and is unapologetic about it. its MASSIVE wide open front end gulps in every mm of air it can squeeze through the front grill that well... doesn't exist. the wheels are classy on both the PP and Base models. Not too flashy, not too bland, just right.

The 2020 gives you a sense that Ford Performance was looking to bring you a TRACK monster. Not your typical 1/4 Mile Door Slammer, but a Refined, elegant almost "Posh" Mustang meant to rip up corners and deliver you to the finish line safely after effortlessly annihilating corkscrews and hairpin turns at Laguna Seca.

While Ford Performance did well accomplishing this feat, they also missed the mark in some ways. The wheels are BLAND on the base model. a glossy black split 6 spoke that would look better on a pimped out escalade then a mustang. The "Carbon Fiber Track Pack" cars look like they leaped off the design board of artists obsessed with Fast and the Furious: Toyko Drift and slid into Ford's production line ready to embarrass the brand in full Ricer force.

Ergonomics:

Simply put the S550 just obliterates in this department. Your hands never really have to leave the steering wheel to make adjustments to suspension, steering etc. the Gauge cluster is fully customizable and useful. the center console isn't annoying or offensive whenever you have a drink in the cup holder. everything is far more user friendly in the S550.

Performance:

The 2013 has old-school, low-end grunt that is lacking from the S550. Torque is damn near instant and you're pinned to the seat almost immediately if the tires will hook… That’s a big if without suspension mods and replacement tires. It's relatively easy to see 10s in the 1/4 Mile with good weather conditions, a few tasteful mods and a decent driver.

The 2020 revs high and demands that for its performance. you don't get the same low-end grunt, which is expected from an engine that when tuned you're shifting at 8000-8500 RPMS! WOW...

Even with the best driver, stock for stock, the S550 has this department on lock down.

Handling:

The S550 has a much more refined feel like it belongs at luxury balls wearing a Tux. It's civilized, controlled, and cares for you. The S197 on the other hand, is like you met an Ax murder at a Black Sabbath concert and married it... and she tries to kill you every time you take her for a ride. Brake fade on the S197 is a serious issue after a couple hits. The MASSIVE rotors front and back on the S550 make this a non-issue.

Modifications:

A simple Pulley swap, Mid-pipe, Throttle Body, New Plugs, Tune, Tire, and the S197 is ridiculously powerful and fun to drive.... if you like Axe Murderers.

Where things start to get a little complex is when your touch the 800RWHP number... The rods inside the block are no longer your friend. In order to progress further without grenading the engine, you will need to tear it down and replace, at a minimum, the rods... This, however, is not a cheap process and you're probably looking at roughly 20k to yank it out, build a block capable of 800+ RWHP and considerable down time to make that project a reality. You will also need a bigger blower beyond that 800RWHP number as the stock TVS is going to be SCREAMING.

The S550 however, 1000RWHP has been achieved with far less complexity and will not require an engine rebuild. Parts do seem more expensive however... for example:

a Throttle Body upgrade for a 2020+ is gonna run you north of $1000.00 whereas a 13/14 will be somewhere around $800.00.

Superchargers for the S550 are somewhat limited at this point, but you can snag a Whipple for a Cool $7600.00. The 2013 will run you about $4499.00 if you buy a Gen3R from VMP.

Vehicle Price:

You really do have to hunt to find the right price on a 2020+ Shelby. ADMs are ridiculous BUT there are Deals out there. Just be patient and you'll find the right one.

The 2013/14 Shelby is a little more rare and has held its value well over the years. You may be able to find one for less than half what you're going to pay for an S550 version.

Fuel Economy:

Really, no one gives a damn about this... we're looking for SPG...Smiles Per Gallon when buying one of these monsters.

With that said, The S197 does far better on Range and MPG.

Weight:

The S550 is a much heavier vehicle coming in at 4149lbs vs the S197s 3871lbs. The Delta on this is 278lbs. That’s nothing to scoff at. The S550 carries considerably more weight. Imagine every time you track your car, your fat ass uncle Joe is strapped in the passenger seat.... exactly.

Top Speed:

Factory for Factory, the S197 is not limited and has 3.31 gears. The S550 comes with 3.73s and is limited to 180mph.

With that said, The S197 getting to 200+MPH will take time, most likely several miles and a large set of balls. A Simple tune revision will cure the S550 from its limiting speed. (Taller gears may also be required for 200+ I am not sure of the transmissions limiting factors on this one.)

Performance Apps:

Ford Performance perfected the Track apps from the previous version. Not to go into too much detail with this, but Line-lock, Launch control, HUD shift lamps... The S550 knocks this one out of the park.

Conclusion:

When you look at the various categories you can easily see that Ford Performance did an excellent job on the S550 Shelby. But have we answered the question, "Is it a better car?"

Several Factors may weigh on personal decision when it comes to this question.

The S550 has a Dial knob and Flappy Gear Paddles mated to the DCT,(essentially an automatic) It lacks a Proper 6speed Gear box, the "CFTP" Versions are Riced out and look embarrassing, top speed is factory limited where the 2013 is a 200+MPH Mustang.

Finally, the 2013 was the last Shelby to receive input and approval from the legend himself, Carroll Shelby. I think if you put the heart and nostalgia aside, use logic and go over the data, you can see there is a clear winner... But we're Gear heads, Car guys trying to relive our youth with bigger, faster, more powerful toys... Nostalgia can't just be removed from the equation.

Is the 2020+ Shelby "Better" than the 2013/14? I think that's a question best left to the person behind the wheel.

632913602-4797234112_large.jpg

Last edited:

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
2020 500 is KING, end of cool story!

Last edited by a moderator:

LS WUT

Established Member
First off thanks for your unbiased input in regards to both cars. I’ve driven both cars, never a CFTP however. So I don’t have the owners perspective persay. However I will agree to literally a vast majority of everything you’ve listed above in regards to both platforms. As stated above it’s best left to the man behind the wheel to give his take on it. I love my 2013 GT500. Always been a dream to own one, not my color combo if I’m honest, that was a mere fluke due to my fathers Passing and wanting to match his Dream Motorcycle.

I couldn’t agree more when it comes to the interior, severe brake fade, and much more. This weighed heavy for me when my 14 got totaled (brother driving) so I was forced to buy another car. I was never a true fan of the S550 platform, that just didn’t do it for me for the most part. When I was buying a new car I tried to buy a 2013 Boss 302 simply because I couldn’t afford a GT500 at that time. I looked at GT’s as well. I thought to myself I’ll go check out a 2017 GT Premium, track pack since I had a 2014 Premium Track pack. I was blown away by how nice the interior, gauges, seats, etc felt. At the time the price was nearly the same. I walked away with that car for $25,500 out the door. It had 2k miles on it.

I think you for sure hit the nail on the head. Taking nostalgia out of it, and using the cars for their intended purposes they make much more sense. It was an awesome read sir.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Thanks for the thoughtful write up. I was a ****hair away from getting an s550 but ended up passing due to 1) weight; 2) not a true manual; 3) chassis is a bit primitive for the price point. Not besmirching anyone that made the choice.

I chose the Gen 6 ZL1 1LE as it solved for these and is simultaneously more refined and much rawer at the same time.

To each is own, S550 GT500 is a bad bich nonetheless.

Tezz500

Established Member
Ive already been censored and muzzled here, bro…. Nothing else I can say other than love the kitty and **** every ****** that cant figure out the 2020 500 is the superior car…. :LOL:(y)
2020 500 is KING, end of cool story!

Your posts are always so well put together and thoughtful.

10/10 would read again.

Tezz500

Established Member
Thanks for the thoughtful write up. I was a ****hair away from getting an s550 but ended up passing due to 1) weight; 2) not a true manual; 3) chassis is a bit primitive for the price point. Not besmirching anyone that made the choice.

I chose the Gen 6 ZL1 1LE as it solved for these and is simultaneously more refined and much rawer at the same time.

To each is own, S550 GT500 is a bad bich nonetheless.

Its very fair to say that the DCT is a fantastic trans but really lacks that driver input thus takes away from the experience of driving the car.

Weight is CONSIDERABLY more than any vette that's for sure.

And hands down its expensive for a MUSTANG.

With all that said, the 2013 is the one that I sold.

Tezz500

Established Member
Interesting take on the two cars.

Not to assume but I read this as a compliment. lol. so Ty!

First off thanks for your unbiased input in regards to both cars. I’ve driven both cars, never a CFTP however. So I don’t have the owners perspective persay. However I will agree to literally a vast majority of everything you’ve listed above in regards to both platforms. As stated above it’s best left to the man behind the wheel to give his take on it. I love my 2013 GT500. Always been a dream to own one, not my color combo if I’m honest, that was a mere fluke due to my fathers Passing and wanting to match his Dream Motorcycle.

I couldn’t agree more when it comes to the interior, severe brake fade, and much more. This weighed heavy for me when my 14 got totaled (brother driving) so I was forced to buy another car. I was never a true fan of the S550 platform, that just didn’t do it for me for the most part. When I was buying a new car I tried to buy a 2013 Boss 302 simply because I couldn’t afford a GT500 at that time. I looked at GT’s as well. I thought to myself I’ll go check out a 2017 GT Premium, track pack since I had a 2014 Premium Track pack. I was blown away by how nice the interior, gauges, seats, etc felt. At the time the price was nearly the same. I walked away with that car for $25,500 out the door. It had 2k miles on it.

I think you for sure hit the nail on the head. Taking nostalgia out of it, and using the cars for their intended purposes they make much more sense. It was an awesome read sir.

My pleasure brother.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
As stated in the quality section, the interior of the S197 GT500 is "Nostalgic" to put it in friendly terms.

First thing I thought when I got my S197: "Hmm, they are still using the same plastic that is in my Cobra Jet Torino?"

I shit you not, the hard plastic on the doors is the exact same material.

Tezz500

Established Member
First thing I thought when I got my S197: "Hmm, they are still using the same plastic that is in my Cobra Jet Torino?"

No doubt in my mind. I felt like... "Is this trivial to put in the review?"

Because Id say a lot of people are just looking at it from the performance aspect but I think Id be remiss if I didn't include a comprehensive overview...

Its cheap. There is no other way to put it.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

My 03 is like that inside. Hell, the Speedhut gauges are the nicest thing in there beside the seats, and my wives boobs when she actually will ride in it. Lol

BrunotheBoxer

PUREBLOOD MASTERRACE
Established Member
Born and raised Brockton. Living in Naples.
I think it’s a well written great review of the two cars. I’ve never driven the newer Shelby. Still have my stock 14 with about 6k miles. I still love the car but I know I won’t keep it forever.

I always wanted to buy the new generation one but things changed for me. I retired and bought a place in Florida and now I don’t really want anymore cars like this.
I’ll keep my ford until I figure I’ve had enough of her and most likely won’t ever buy another. That said if I could I would trade my car in for the new one but I won’t lay out that much cash for cars. It’s just not that important to me now. But I would think the new one is far superior and I personally don’t want to manually shift anymore.

Enjoy the **** outta that beast.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
The 13/14 Shelby GT500 reminds me a ton of the 03/04 Cobra in yesterday's time.

Nothing but raw power with not much else to give in any other aspect, outside of its mean great exterior looks, on an old tried platform.

If you see a 13/14 GT500, you know it means business.

With that said, ill take a 2020 GT500 over it lol

Last edited:

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Nice write up @Tezz500. I also liked @BrunotheBoxer said, maybe because I feel the same. Hopefully I’ll have the time in the near future but my Shelby gets driven enough to keep things oiled. And then it might change back. I’ve never driven a my20+ I’d love too because I feel it’s suit my driving habits of handling and not feeling like I’m riding a raging bull bareback around corners and turns lol.

Users who are viewing this thread