2021 McLaren 765LT at drag strip

bb83

I like gays
Established Member
Puts a couple tenths on the Demon. Not bad. But the question is, would you rather have a Demon and a GenV ACR and a Diesel 3500 and a trailer, or the 765LT? Hmmm

Joking aside, sort of, this thing is pretty crazy. It does make sense though with the progression of technology and R&D. I mean the 2020 GT500 for $80k is nipping at the heels of supercar times on road courses, and it's 1/4 mile being within .5 second of the Turbo S, F8, etc. is pretty wild.

765 because I'm not a peasant

F8l Vnm

Established Member
Puts a couple tenths on the Demon. Not bad. But the question is, would you rather have a Demon and a GenV ACR and a Diesel 3500 and a trailer, or the 765LT? Hmmm

Joking aside, sort of, this thing is pretty crazy. It does make sense though with the progression of technology and R&D. I mean the 2020 GT500 for $80k is nipping at the heels of supercar times on road courses, and it's 1/4 mile being within .5 second of the Turbo S, F8, etc. is pretty wild.

The person who can afford a 765 can also afford all the cars you described.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
765 because I'm not a peasant
I mean a McLaren is Peasant as **** compared to a Buggati bro. Gotta step it up and not settle for entry level supercars.

Even thinking about settling for a 765 is peasant thoughts dude.

Last edited:

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
The person who can afford a 765 can also afford all the cars you described.
Well if that's the case then why settle for the 765. Go bigger. And just because someone can afford a 765 does not mean they can automatically afford another $300k in cars on top of that... There's many scenarios that simply doesn't work.

Last edited:

Recon

Established Member
Pretty cool to see both of them run side by side . 765LT hits much harder of the LC then 720S , seems like both of them have the same 3K rpm LC . Would be interesting to see how much boost 765LT runs in 1st gear , I know 720S runs 10 psi only in first gear

Truth be told I had my doubts that this car would be much better than the 720. I mean the bar was set so high with the 720 that it seems like there wasn’t anymore room for improvement. But McLaren found a way to improve and with enough of a gap that it’s not neck and neck between them.

Pick your poison.

gofast15

Established Member
So basically a bolt on A10 coyote? Meh.

Not even close to a world record draggy time.
No , very close to a stock Boxter S with K&N filters only .

It improved a bit on oem Pirrelli tires 9.37 @151.8mph so that my get the Dragy world record time LOL.

20210212_000813.jpg

gofast15

Established Member
Truth be told I had my doubts that this car would be much better than the 720. I mean the bar was set so high with the 720 that it seems like there wasn’t anymore room for improvement. But McLaren found a way to improve and with enough of a gap that it’s not neck and neck between them.

Pick your poison.
Yea , it's crazy that they were able to improve that much coming from already pretty fast 720S . 1.4 60' on regular 305/30/20 Pirrelli P zero tires for RWD car is something else .

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
Sure, if you know nothing about physics and costs of production.
Thats a crazy fricken time for two basic mods. Meanwhile the 2020 gt500 needs a whole slew of mods to run a slower time. 765 set the already high bar the 720 set.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
It's not that it isn't impressive, it's more the fact that you're getting what you pay for. The 720S typically makes high 600s to the wheels. The only reason it traps what it does is because of weight. And guess what, low weight is a hell of a lot more expensive to accomplish than the power number it makes. The GT500/RedEye/Demon are examples of that. They make the same or more to the wheels, but they way 1100-1200lbs more... So essentially it costs $200k-$250k to drop that amount of weight, and not add any power to the car.

Obviously the McLaren has the better brakes, suspension geometry, etc. etc. But even that shit only goes so far, just check out the Pilot Challenge in IMSA, you have Mustangs competing with 570s. With a bit of balance of performance, they run right with each other. So when you equal out the power to weight ratio, and throw literal race tires on both of them, with professional drivers, they literally run the same lap times. These are factory rides with some very basic upgrades for safety, braking endurance, and obviously your normal suspension bits.

I just don't understand the circle-jerk hype for a car that is doing what it should for the price it demands... do you all thank your wife for sticking around after you buy her that $5k purse? lmfao

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Thats a crazy fricken time for two basic mods. Meanwhile the 2020 gt500 needs a whole slew of mods to run a slower time. 765 set the already high bar the 720 set.

Are you joking or being serious? As impressive as the McLaren is, comparing a $358K car to a $74K car is pretty absurd.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
It's not that it isn't impressive, it's more the fact that you're getting what you pay for. The 720S typically makes high 600s to the wheels. The only reason it traps what it does is because of weight. And guess what, low weight is a hell of a lot more expensive to accomplish than the power number it makes. The GT500/RedEye/Demon are examples of that. They make the same or more to the wheels, but they way 1100-1200lbs more... So essentially it costs $200k-$250k to drop that amount of weight, and not add any power to the car.

Obviously the McLaren has the better brakes, suspension geometry, etc. etc. But even that shit only goes so far, just check out the Pilot Challenge in IMSA, you have Mustangs competing with 570s. With a bit of balance of performance, they run right with each other. So when you equal out the power to weight ratio, and throw literal race tires on both of them, with professional drivers, they literally run the same lap times. These are factory rides with some very basic upgrades for safety, braking endurance, and obviously your normal suspension bits.

I just don't understand the circle-jerk hype for a car that is doing what it should for the price it demands... do you all thank your wife for sticking around after you buy her that $5k purse? lmfao

I get what you're saying, but there have been exotics priced in this range for decades that haven't gotten a whiff of these times so I understand the hype behind a car that actually delivers.

FordMoCo21

Just passing through.
Established Member
I get what you're saying, but there have been exotics priced in this range for decades that haven't gotten a whiff of these times so I understand the hype behind a car that actually delivers.
That is true. I think my rebuttal to that would be, you have cars like the GT500 which are running mid-upper 10s in factory form, and also lapping tracks within a second and a half of supercars. So when you have the little guy nipping at the heels that closely for 1/4 the price, something has to be done. It used to be the Z06 that was running with the Ferraris and Porsches, now that a damn Mustang that weighs 1k lbs more is coming in hot... people are going to start wondering why Ford can build a car for so much less that accomplishes 90% of the performance.

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
That is true. I think my rebuttal to that would be, you have cars like the GT500 which are running mid-upper 10s in factory form, and also lapping tracks within a second and a half of supercars. So when you have the little guy nipping at the heels that closely for 1/4 the price, something has to be done. It used to be the Z06 that was running with the Ferraris and Porsches, now that a damn Mustang that weighs 1k lbs more is coming in hot... people are going to start wondering why Ford can build a car for so much less that accomplishes 90% of the performance.

Much of it is simply status. While a Gt500 or Z06 offer incredible performance per $, they still share the road with their "rental" car versions.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
You sound butt hurt, if you drive a slow car its okay. Some of us actually own the car in our avatar. :(

Much of it is simply status. While a Gt500 or Z06 offer incredible performance per $, they still share the road with their "rental" car versions.
Exactly, imagine paying over 100k for a gt500 (probably pushing 150k with adm) for a car that shares chassis and parts with a 20k eco boost! Lol

GTSpartan

Yield right!!!!
Established Member
just check out the Pilot Challenge in IMSA, you have Mustangs competing with 570s. With a bit of balance of performance, they run right with each other. So when you equal out the power to weight ratio, and throw literal race tires on both of them, with professional drivers, they literally run the same lap times. These are factory rides with some very basic upgrades for safety, braking endurance, and obviously your normal suspension bits.

That's a tough comparison to make. You could make a mini-van run with a Ferrari with the right rules package. Without heavy BOP adjustments, the stang would get demolished.

And IMSA cars are very FAR from basically upgraded street rides. The 570 is definitely the closest, but the GT4 Mustang is not even close.

Road to Race: McLaren 570S vs. 570S GT4 – Sportscar365

Last edited:

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Are you joking or being serious? As impressive as the McLaren is, comparing a $358K car to a $74K car is pretty absurd.
Completely ignoring the price, shops have been trying to get into 8s for over a year now with the gt500. Here we are with one built to the hilt finally running that coveted 8 sec time, because right now they're the only ones to do it. And then we have a 765LT with down pipe and tune which just got in customers hands? Aka not a shop car, on stock tires as well running a quicker time/higher trap.
The new gt500 is good, for me its that 4100lb weight. The 765LT is great but we are in agreement, it better be for nearly 400k. I expect it to take the record at laguna seca.

Users who are viewing this thread