20w50 oil. Should I use it?

arsvtcobra

Established Member
I got 6 quarts of 20w50 VR1 racing oil today for free. Do you guys think it would be okay to use it in my car. It has the usuall bolt-ons,100 shot,and 80,890 miles. It is rarely driven and I take it to the track almost every weekend so I was wanting to try this oil. But the 20w50 is the thinnest they offer it in. So my buddy at Advance Auto Parts gave it to me for free. Thanks in advance for the advice.

9746Cobra

spinnin4Vs
Established Member
In a 5.0? eh....not best for it. Not good for oil pump, horsepower, or bearings. Dont get on it and you should be okay.

Definatly DO NOT put that in a 4.6!

Either way it is'nt worth it.

arsvtcobra

Established Member
Yeah its the 4.6. And it is taken to the strip quite often so I guess I will sell it to someone or see if he will let me trade it in on some royal purple.

Toasty

Established Member
I got 6 quarts of 20w50 VR1 racing oil today for free. Do you guys think it would be okay to use it in my car. It has the usuall bolt-ons,100 shot,and 80,890 miles. It is rarely driven and I take it to the track almost every weekend so I was wanting to try this oil. But the 20w50 is the thinnest they offer it in. So my buddy at Advance Auto Parts gave it to me for free. Thanks in advance for the advice.

Sure, do it. In fact, 80-90w is probably better.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
Free is Free, but 20w 50 is a little thick for these motors.
From what I've read it's a lot too thick for a modular engine. Scott Whitehead over on Corner-Carvers.com is a former Ford modular engine developer and says you can get by with 10w-40 for excessive heat, but nothing heavier.

Users who are viewing this thread