$27,000 Too High for an '03 Cobra??

DSG_2003

Go Baby, Go...
Established Member
Like the title says, is $27,000 to high of a price on a DSG '03 Cobra with the following mods?? Here's what she comes with:

17,000 Original Miles
Brand New Engine w/ 500 Miles
K&N FIPK
Motoblue 2.8" Pulley
Motoblue Idler Pullies
Motoblue Auxillary Idler Pulley
Diablosport Predator Tuner
AFCO Heat Exchanger
Ignition Solutions Plasma Booster Ignition
NGK TR6's
Hilton Boost Gauge Overlay
Kenny Brown Hard-Launch Cross bar with Poly bushings
Billet IRS Rear Differential Cover Girdle
Magnaflow Stainless X-Pipe with Cats
Magnaflow Stainless 2 1/2" Exhaust with 3 1/2" Tips
Fresh Window Tint
JL Audio Stereo Components

What do you guys think? Thanks

DSG_2003

Go Baby, Go...
Established Member
well I've already brought up selling it for $25,000 and $25,500 and he tossed those ouit the door in a hurry, I had thought we settled on $26,500 but now he's unsure and want's more like $27,000 and I'm not sure what to do...

DSG_2003

Go Baby, Go...
Established Member
Yeah there was some troubles with one of the pistons that ended up falling in half and a Tech from SVT came out to where he lived and determined it was a factory defect in the engine, so they replaced the whole engine for free.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I don't know, that seems a bit high to me. There are allot out there right now in the $24-25 range and the mods he has don't really up the value that much.
The mileage is low so that's kinda nice, but if it were me I'd hold out for a better deal. $27k is allot of money to spend on a three year old car that's value about to get a real reality check in a few months when the Shelby comes out. I'd bet that when that car hits the market, there is gonna be allot of Terminators in the used car market. Just a guess, but with Ford making 10k Shelbys, they are not going to as hard to get as everyone is making it seem.
I say pass and keep looking. He is gonna have a hard time getting $27k and will most likely come back to you in a few weeks when he gets desperate anyway.

Chucko

Palindrome
Established Member
The Shelby won't affect the price of an 03/04 Cobra in a negative way at all.
Initially the Shelby will be in very short supply and will carry a premium from the dealer (read as additional dealer markup).

Since the Shelby will start at $40k and probably carry a $5k-$10k (or more) ADM it's just not in the same league and will not attract the same buyer as a used 03/04 Cobra selling for $25k.

However, the really smart and astute buyers will realize how good a deal a low mileage 03/04 Cobra is and snap them up.

Another factor is what will happen with gasoline prices. I'm already noticing a slowing in demand for the 06 Mustangs, as I've seen local dealers who had waiting lists last year now with several 06 GT's on their lots.

That being said, $27k is probably a bit high, especially here. Prices here are $2-4k lower than what you might get selling elsewhere.

LiquidStang

Established Member
Yes, it's too high. I paid 2K less than that for a Sonic Blue Coupe with similar mods and only 7K on the ticker a YEAR AGO. Now, the same car would be worth less due to time passing, it's not like they're a collectors car and it's been 20 years. Paying more than 25K for an 03 coupe is getting kind of risky IMO.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
Chucko said:
The Shelby won't affect the price of an 03/04 Cobra in a negative way at all.
Initially the Shelby will be in very short supply and will carry a premium from the dealer (read as additional dealer markup).

Since the Shelby will start at $40k and probably carry a $5k-$10k (or more) ADM it's just not in the same league and will not attract the same buyer as a used 03/04 Cobra selling for $25k.

However, the really smart and astute buyers will realize how good a deal a low mileage 03/04 Cobra is and snap them up.

Another factor is what will happen with gasoline prices. I'm already noticing a slowing in demand for the 06 Mustangs, as I've seen local dealers who had waiting lists last year now with several 06 GT's on their lots.

That being said, $27k is probably a bit high, especially here. Prices here are $2-4k lower than what you might get selling elsewhere.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree on this one. I don't want to take this thread too off it's track, but the MSRP on the Shelby will be $38,500 + or - a few $'s for dealer added options and the interior trim package. (I won't go into the basis of this claim, but save this thread in you UserCP and when it hits the dealer floors, we'll see how close I am ;-) )
Once the first run is swallowed up by the rich and famous that HAVE TO HAVE one, the dealers will not be able to sell the remaining 8-9k cars that Ford is producing at a mark up. It's just not going to happen. Regular enthusiasts won't spend $50k+ plus on a Mustang when they can get a Vette for that. No Mustang has ever been a $50k car.
When the hype dies down, the car will be sold under (or just at)$40k. That is not a far cry from the cost of a new 03/04 Cobra when you factor in the value of a $ then and now.
I'm not saying that the people looking for used Cobras are going to be the same people looking for the Shelby. I'm saying the exact opposite. When current Cobra owners see that they can have the Shelby for only a few more $'s a month added to their car payment, the # of used Cobras on the market will go up and the value will go down. That's just how supply and demand works. Of course I don't mean to say that EVERY SINGLE Cobra owner is going to trade their Terminator for a Shelby, but I do see enough of the Terminator guys trading up to effect the value of the 03/04.

experiment626

ALL MOTOR CARS RULE
Established Member
New engine

With a new engine at 17k that tells me a dumbass kid owned the car and what else is bad with this car poss. trans, brakes, rearend.And so on I would think twice about buying it. And if I did I only would pay 15k for it.AND YOU CAN YOU SAY I'VE BEEN ABUSED. :coolman:

delmarsteelers

Established Member
LiquidStang said:
Yes, it's too high. I paid 2K less than that for a Sonic Blue Coupe with similar mods and only 7K on the ticker a YEAR AGO. Now, the same car would be worth less due to time passing, it's not like they're a collectors car and it's been 20 years. Paying more than 25K for an 03 coupe is getting kind of risky IMO.

"a YEAR AGO" is hardly a good example. He probably could have gotten that 27,000 "a YEAR AGO". :shrug:

LiquidStang

Established Member
delmarsteelers said:
"a YEAR AGO" is hardly a good example. He probably could have gotten that 27,000 "a YEAR AGO". :shrug:

HUH? I bought a Cobra with LOWER mileage on it over a YEAR ago for LESS money. Last I checked, as a car gained mileage and got OLDER, it's price went DOWN. Not to mention the new Cobras knocking on the door to be out soon.

12nChng

Established Member
New motor = something was wrong = hard resail = LOW PRICE.. You should view this car like a TV or computer or something at Best Buy that reads OPEN ITEM..... It doesn't mean the product is bad. It just means something WAS wrong with it and because of that other things might also be wrong. I would say this car is worth 25K probably.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
BULLITT4372 said:
The New Shelby Will Make The 03-04 Cobra Prices Go Up !!! Period!

Yeah, ok I see your point now that all the great facts and reasoning you added into that post come to light. As specially the "Period!", that really did it for me:shrug: ....

Once again, I'll agree to disagree. Maybe you will be able to say "I told you so" but I HIGHLY doubt it. The rules of supply and demand will never change. When supply goes up and demand goes down, value follows demand. When demand is up and supply is down, once again value follows demand. It's not really rocket science.

Users who are viewing this thread